Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Flu shots? For them or against ?

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    get your damn flu shots people, come on! Anti-Vaxxers are cancer.

Not getting a flu shot doesn't make you an anti-vaxxer any more than not getting your rabies shot, not getting the yellow fever jab, cholera etc etc does. It probably just means you don't live in an area where flu/rabies/yellow fever/cholera/etc is a major problem. I'm getting a bit annoyed that folks don't seem to want to distinguish and I don't think it helps to convince people who are genuinely anti vaccine either - lets face it, if they're in an area where flu isn't an issue it's one of the harder ones to convince them about since you have to go and get it every year and it's known it's a best guess effort. Measles is measles is measles - better to start there+similar I'd think?

nope, sorry, not buying it.

The "not an issue in my area" is a disingenuous cop out. We live in a massively interconnected planet. People travel to and from cities, states, entire countries. A flu epidemic could spread into an area where it's "not an issue" in a matter of days, and overwhelm the medical infrastructure.

Unless you live in a bubble, get your damn shots.

Have you had every vaccine going then? There are quite a few... I suspect if there was a flu epidemic it wouldn't be the strain that was in the vaccine - if it was then it wouldn't spread so quickly. If it was recommended for travel I would of course get it (as I have other vaccines), but I've just checked (for travel to the US) and it isn't.

Just think about this - you've annoyed me, and I'm for vaccines as recommended by the relevant medical practitioners. Do you think you're likely to persuade people who are really anti vaccines to join the queue every year with your current approach?

I have every vaccine that's ever been recommended to me by a doctor. Plus vaccines for HPV, Anthrax, Smallpox, and a few other misc picked up over the years.

There is simply NO scientifically sound reason not to get vaccines unless you have a very specific medical condition that would contraindicate them. None.

Flu shots especially, considering they're stupidly cheep and available for free to most people who can't afford the pittance they cost.

And I don't particularly care if my approach convinces anybody. If you bristle at my approach that's a problem with you. Would you question the color of the sky because I don't coddle you and try to explain it in warm and fuzzy terms? Maybe. That's not my problem.

Ditch the anti-science hokem and get your shots.

HPV? Wow, that's dedication.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I said this upstream and I will repeat it again:

Anyone in this thread who is saying they had the flu who is willing to have it again...

NEVER HAD THE FLU.

If you were not praying for death, you did not have the flu. You had a bad cold. Full stop.

If you had ever had the flu, you would move heaven and earth to never, ever have it again and to ensure your children never had it.

It is awful.

I say this as a person with a very much above average pain/discomfort tolerance. I cite as reference the fact that I had a broken ankle that I soldiered through with just OTC pain meds and ice packs because I couldn't tolerate the prescription pain meds.

The real flu is not something people who have had it are blithe about.

I've been to the emergency room twice - once for a brown recluse spider bite and once for the flu. The nurse kept telling me I couldn't have the flu, I'd had the shot. Eventually he concluded I did indeed have the flu. This was in 1990 and I haven't had the shot or the flu since.

I do take Vitamin D, but that's only been regular since I returned from seven years in Florida in 2011.

I'm not here to talk anyone else out of getting the shot, but explaining why I chose to not get it for myself.

I'm confused by your story, are you saying you don't get the flu shot because of that emergency room nurse or because you got a strain of it that one year anyway?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

Not getting a flu shot doesn't make you an anti-vaxxer any more than not getting your rabies shot, not getting the yellow fever jab, cholera etc etc does. It probably just means you don't live in an area where flu/rabies/yellow fever/cholera/etc is a major problem. I'm getting a bit annoyed that folks don't seem to want to distinguish and I don't think it helps to convince people who are genuinely anti vaccine either - lets face it, if they're in an area where flu isn't an issue it's one of the harder ones to convince them about since you have to go and get it every year and it's known it's a best guess effort. Measles is measles is measles - better to start there+similar I'd think?

The "not an issue in my area" is a disingenuous cop out. We live in a massively interconnected planet. People travel to and from cities, states, entire countries. A flu epidemic could spread into an area where it's "not an issue" in a matter of days, and overwhelm the medical infrastructure.

Have you had every vaccine going then? There are quite a few... I suspect if there was a flu epidemic it wouldn't be the strain that was in the vaccine - if it was then it wouldn't spread so quickly. If it was recommended for travel I would of course get it (as I have other vaccines), but I've just checked (for travel to the US) and it isn't.

Just think about this - you've annoyed me, and I'm for vaccines as recommended by the relevant medical practitioners. Do you think you're likely to persuade people who are really anti vaccines to join the queue every year with your current approach?

I have every vaccine that's ever been recommended to me by a doctor. Plus vaccines for HPV, Anthrax, Smallpox, and a few other misc picked up over the years.

There is simply NO scientifically sound reason not to get vaccines unless you have a very specific medical condition that would contraindicate them. None.

Flu shots especially, considering they're stupidly cheep and available for free to most people who can't afford the pittance they cost.

And I don't particularly care if my approach convinces anybody. If you bristle at my approach that's a problem with you. Would you question the color of the sky because I don't coddle you and try to explain it in warm and fuzzy terms? Maybe. That's not my problem.

I don't think it's unusual for a man to get that shot. My son will be getting it this year.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Anyone in this thread who is saying they had the flu who is willing to have it again...

NEVER HAD THE FLU.

If you were not praying for death, you did not have the flu. You had a bad cold. Full stop.

If you had ever had the flu, you would move heaven and earth to never, ever have it again and to ensure your children never had it.

It is awful.

I say this as a person with a very much above average pain/discomfort tolerance. I cite as reference the fact that I had a broken ankle that I soldiered through with just OTC pain meds and ice packs because I couldn't tolerate the prescription pain meds.

I've been to the emergency room twice - once for a brown recluse spider bite and once for the flu. The nurse kept telling me I couldn't have the flu, I'd had the shot. Eventually he concluded I did indeed have the flu. This was in 1990 and I haven't had the shot or the flu since.

I do take Vitamin D, but that's only been regular since I returned from seven years in Florida in 2011.

I'm not here to talk anyone else out of getting the shot, but explaining why I chose to not get it for myself.

Yeah, this is a confusing story.

So you ended up in the ER because you had the flu. But you don't want a flu shot any more. That's...odd.

Flu shots are best-guesses as to the strain that may be around, but you can still catch other strains. I'll take some protection over none. I mean, there are virtually zero drawbacks to a flu shot.

The worse case of flu I've ever had was after getting the shot.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,085 Member
    Options

NEVER HAD THE FLU.

It is awful.

So you ended up in the ER because you had the flu. But you don't want a flu shot any more. That's...odd.

Flu shots are best-guesses as to the strain that may be around, but you can still catch other strains. I'll take some protection over none. I mean, there are virtually zero drawbacks to a flu shot.

Correlation? I say coincidence. I get shots every year and I've never had the flu.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

NEVER HAD THE FLU.

It is awful.

That's a coincidence and was just because you weren't vaccinated for the strain you contracted. It can happen.

If you get vaccinated, you have some protection against some strains, if you don't get vaccinated, you have no protection whatsoever.

I really don't understand your thinking here. You're normally much more sensible minded than this.
  • strshllw84
    strshllw84 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I work in the public and am exposed too many sick people, I have never gotten the flu shot and any time I do get sick someone will jab me with, "should of got your flu shot." A few days later they will have the same thing... So really don't see the point. Didn't prevent them from getting whatever I had.
    Maybe some day when I'm old and my immune system starts getting weaker on it's own I will start getting one.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

I don't think it's unusual for a man to get that shot. My son will be getting it this year.

More men need to get the HPV vaccine. HPV causes virtually no symptoms in men and they usually never know they have it, meanwhile they are passing it to women without knowing. Yes this is the case for any STD/I, but most at some point give males a symptom while this one does not.

Isn't this a case of closing the gate after the horse has bolted in men that are already sexually active?
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options

More men need to get the HPV vaccine. HPV causes virtually no symptoms in men and they usually never know they have it, meanwhile they are passing it to women without knowing. Yes this is the case for any STD/I, but most at some point give males a symptom while this one does not.

I have always been completely confused by the "marketing" for this vaccine. We were always told that men carried it too and passed it around unknowingly, so I could not figure out why they were pushing only females to get the shot. Also the age thing. Why not vaccinate all females? Protect us? It has always just felt like some giant research project to me. And they wonder why we won't trust them...
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Isn't this a case of closing the gate after the horse has bolted in men that are already sexually active?

I believe so. Just like for females.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    For.

I used to have flu shots when I was a kid because I have asthma but I was then deemed too healthy to be entitled to have a free shot, and reminder to get one, and I forgot for a couple of years. I never got flu, thankfully, but now both my parents have severely compromised immune systems and both my brother and I are required to get one to protect them. We need to protect our vulnerable and that means making sure we don't spread the germs.

I've had adverse reactions to vaccines before as a child. I had my skin at the site of injection basically weep and be crusty at the same time as well as spreading largely on my bicep and to under my armpit but I still have shots because I want my best chance at fighting what's out there. Before you ask, I couldn't tell you what it was. I had epilepsy growing up so I wasn't allowed to have my jabs with the other kids so I had to have mine done separately and sometimes more than one at a time. Not in the same arm obviously. I just remember my right arm being numb for a long time and then my left arm slowly developing whatever dermatological problem I had. It was annoying because it lasted maybe 3 or 4 weeks? But I would have still done it because like I said, I wanted my best chance.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I'm for them, like anyone who has some *kitten* common sense is.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

I believe so. Just like for females.

This is why children of both sexes should get it as young as possible. Don't even take a chance.
This discussion has been closed.