Mother Sacrificing Themselves for Family, Dads Say "Ok", I'm going to the Gym

Options
As I lurk through the threads...the most common excuse for women who are not living the life they want...life is happening, dealing with family issues and work issues....Not the same for guys. I've dealt with the same...reason I used for my family comes first.

Why do we women do this? I have some ideas, but would like to hear from our crew.

Now that I'm 50+, working at a well paying job, and dear kid at college, working and excelling...I have less to worry about, and doing things for myself. If women keep putting themselves last, they may well die early....This saddens me...Why don't we ask and expext the men in our lives to partner in our efforts to raise a family?

Replies

• mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Working moms are the ones who struggle to put themselves first. Their husbands seem to know how to stop off and get a drink with his buddies before he gets home. So did she pick a bad husband?
  • pmastro724
    pmastro724 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Everyones situation is different but marriage should be a partnership. I can't imagine a husband not wanting to go home to his family after work. Is the husband a selfish a hole or does the wife b*tch and complain and not make him want to be home? Something's not right. There should be mutual respect and not one partner should feel like they are doing so much sacrificing.
  • Debster634
    Debster634 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »
    We're expected to drop everything and take care of those we love. Having been raised that way, witnessing the majority of women in my life doing just that, I find myself doing the same - which I don't find matches what I want. Giving so much of yourself to care for others, you can easily lose yourself.

It's not major things either, just daily stuff. My favourite post on Facebook was from a friend of mine, it described how a husband goes to bed and how a wife goes to bed - it was eerily on point for me.

• Debster634
    Debster634 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    So true. Marriage and family results in losing our sense of "self". At least it did for me. I had lots of hopes and interests but was and still am confined by obligations and expectations. This is when I started gaining weight. It's amusing to me when I read posts of guys getting into the gym at 6am or after work or evenings. Sorry but there is an expectation that that is their right. If I had said I was going to the gym after work and husband could pick up kids and go home and make supper, wouldn't that have been awesome!! Mysteps2bea you speak of sentiments that I have also been reflecting on, as my kids are now older.
  • shaunstacy
    shaunstacy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So very true, I think I would like to go to a gym on the way home but my obligations are too important. Yes I do put myself last in so many ways.
  • mumbles2013
    mumbles2013 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine just found out that when her husband says his going to the gym he actually meant he's going round to his co worker's house for sex as he has been for the last 6 months leaving her holding the baby!!!
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    As I lurk through the threads...the most common excuse for women who are not living the life they want...life is happening, dealing with family issues and work issues....Not the same for guys. I've dealt with the same...reason I used for my family comes first.

Why do we women do this? I have some ideas, but would like to hear from our crew.

Now that I'm 50+, working at a well paying job, and dear kid at college, working and excelling...I have less to worry about, and doing things for myself. If women keep putting themselves last, they may well die early....This saddens me...Why don't we ask and expext the men in our lives to partner in our efforts to raise a family?

Because whether biologically or culturally we have been given a certain set of skill sets that predispose us to better handle the responsibilities of family better than a lot of men.
    Example: it never occured to my husband that eating a variety of food is good for one's overall health. He wanted to eat PBJ sandwiches all the time when we first got married because they were so inexpensive. Me on the otherhand... I am constantly monitoring the overall diet of my family
  • Gracedtimes2
    Gracedtimes2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Everyone is influenced by their different experiences and are in different places and levels of consciousness within their lives. Kindness and gentle examples create more change than blaming others for being where they are for whatever reason.
    I don't think people intentionally use others for an excuse, especially when moms feel overwhelmed, under appreciated, and overworked. Most times, they feel they have no other option, and like noted in a couple of threads, although our culture is moving forward, gender inequality lives rampant and unconscious in our culture, and our country, US, is definitely not mother friendly.
    So let's attempt to understand others, be kind, and create change within ourselves so we can continue to create cultural change for the better of ourselves, our children, and for our country.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    lauracups wrote: »
    If you want something, you must first ask instead of assuming it's not available to you. Want gym time? Ask the partner to cover at home. Want a treadmill for the home ask how we can work it in the budget. Want an equal partnership, ask yourself if you're worth it or is playing the martyr roll is a familiar comfort.

Agreed.

I will add that, barring a TBI-type injury/illness, personalities generally do not change after marriage. If you have an extremely short courtship you may overlook negative characteristics because you have tiny hearts clouding your vision. Overall, if you want a partner who is not selfish or doesn't pull his/her share, don't marry or partner up with one. That's the kind of thing you are supposed to talk about and look for before you commit to each other. I see way too many people of both sexes ignore personality issues in people the date, get married, and then spend a lot of time complaining about those exact issues.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I will never understand why caring for children means sacrificing your own health. I found weight control and activity both much easier when I had kids at home. In fact, I was never overweight until all the kids left home. When they were here there was always something going on and very little time to just sit around. Sure I never went to the gym, but we were active. I never thought about who I was putting first, them or me. We just lived our lives.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I must be a man.