Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Provide Your Sources

Options
MelanieCN77
MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
There should be a posting rule, where if you say something like "research says" or "studies show" or "I read somewhere that" that you have to provide a link or at least a title and author reference to your source.

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    Options
    Modern journalism has a tough time already in this age of "facts are partisan."
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    God we sound like a bunch of old farts :o

Kids these days....
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Whippersnappers.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, OP, I don't disagree with the premise that if a person is going to cite "studies" they should put up their sources. I'm just also a smartass.
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    I think I just want people to be more curious for themselves. Some results for "I read somewhere:"

- a potato at night time is good
    - it's bad for you to cook with [olive oil]
    - that popcorn has fibre
    - that you should not call them cheat meals
    - that it's best to eat fruits in the morning and afternoon
    - that long running sessions are really bad for you
    - that sugar calories from fruit do not count
    - that we eat about a pound of bugs a year
    - that if you have a high body fat % it's pointless to do an exercises until you loose some weight
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be a smart *kitten*!
  • magicpickles
    magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    As someone with the tendancy to do that, I don't like your idea, because sometimes you read the information or heard it a few years ago, or from someone else so you don't know the original source. You just feel it in your gut.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Question Authority! (I graduated HS in 68) :smiley:
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I read to learn, not so I can prove a point on some message board. I don't bookmark studies, articles, etc, so I rarely have sources at the ready if my thoughts don't fit all nice and tidy with what others think.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    FWIW, I read to learn, not so I can prove a point on some message board. I don't bookmark studies, articles, etc, so I rarely have sources at the ready if my thoughts don't fit all nice and tidy with what others think.

That's really OK as long as you're not presenting your opinion as scientific fact. Most of the discussions on the message boards are informal - this is the debate forum so here you would be expected to back up what you say.

Isn't there also an expectation that, in a debate forum, people would be open minded to differing points? Don't forget, facts change over time (i.e. the world is no longer flat)... and nowhere is that more evident than in topics of health.

And just to be clear, I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here. I think the overwhelming majority of the MFP regulars enjoy the learning and the helping as much as anything else.