Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Provide Your Sources

Options

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    FWIW, I read to learn, not so I can prove a point on some message board. I don't bookmark studies, articles, etc, so I rarely have sources at the ready if my thoughts don't fit all nice and tidy with what others think.

That's really OK as long as you're not presenting your opinion as scientific fact. Most of the discussions on the message boards are informal - this is the debate forum so here you would be expected to back up what you say.

Isn't there also an expectation that, in a debate forum, people would be open minded to differing points? Don't forget, facts change over time (i.e. the world is no longer flat)... and nowhere is that more evident than in topics of health.

And just to be clear, I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here. I think the overwhelming majority of the MFP regulars enjoy the learning and the helping as much as anything else.

Oh yes, I absolutely agree! For me, that's the whole purpose of a debate!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I read to learn, not so I can prove a point on some message board. I don't bookmark studies, articles, etc, so I rarely have sources at the ready if my thoughts don't fit all nice and tidy with what others think.

That's really OK as long as you're not presenting your opinion as scientific fact. Most of the discussions on the message boards are informal - this is the debate forum so here you would be expected to back up what you say.

Isn't there also an expectation that, in a debate forum, people would be open minded to differing points? Don't forget, facts change over time (i.e. the world is no longer flat)... and nowhere is that more evident than in topics of health.

And just to be clear, I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here. I think the overwhelming majority of the MFP regulars enjoy the learning and the helping as much as anything else.

In a debate one has to back up what you present as fact with a citation just like you do when you are writing an academic paper. Proper debates aren't the place to make up "facts"

Maybe it's the way I read/interpret things, but isn't there a lot of gray area between making up facts and proving something with scientific data? Just because I don't have a link to post doesn't mean my point is necessarily wrong. Especially in a forum like MFP, where a point can be valid or invalid simply based on context, which is often left out (though, less so in this forum than in the other general forums).

Again, devil's advocate.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

In a debate one has to back up what you present as fact with a citation just like you do when you are writing an academic paper. Proper debates aren't the place to make up "facts"

Maybe it's the way I read/interpret things, but isn't there a lot of gray area between making up facts and proving something with scientific data? Just because I don't have a link to post doesn't mean my point is necessarily wrong. Especially in a forum like MFP, where a point can be valid or invalid simply based on context, which is often left out (though, less so in this forum than in the other general forums).

Again, devil's advocate.

True I do agree about the gray area. I was going to edit that out but didn't get a chance. No it doesn't necessarily make your point wrong but it does help if you can back up your claim. I have seen lots of crazy things stated as facts that are never backed up.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options

Would you prefer to wade through a forum of people repeating the same irrational nonsense opinion in perpetuity or at would you at least like to see them attempt to formulate and present a position based on a rational observation that is demonstrably tied to some form of logic?
  • mph323
    edited November 2016
    Options

Again, devil's advocate.

Well, unless it's stated clearly in the beginning that the debate is about opinions, not scientific facts (this is a legitimate type of debate), sources need to be cited. Questioning the sources is of course to be expected and that's where I think persuading people to change their minds would be most effective.

eta: Just my opinion of course :wink:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    There should be a posting rule, where if you say something like "research says" or "studies show" or "I read somewhere that" that you have to provide a link or at least a title and author reference to your source.

So if someone breaks this proposed rule what would you suggest the consequences be? Should the person ultimately be banned from posting? Can the moderators handle policing posts that much more than they already do?
    What if someone posts "I read somewhere that prunes are good to eat if you are constipated". Do you come down on that person for not producing a prune study?
  • mph323
    Options
    There should be a posting rule, where if you say something like "research says" or "studies show" or "I read somewhere that" that you have to provide a link or at least a title and author reference to your source.

OP, a question just occurred to me - are you talking about discussions in all forums or the debate forum specifically?
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    richln wrote: »

Would you prefer to wade through a forum of people repeating the same irrational nonsense opinion in perpetuity or at would you at least like to see them attempt to formulate and present a position based on a rational observation that is demonstrably tied to some form of logic?

I would like to see people demonstrate the ability and the willingness to think logically about both anecdotal "evidence" and scientific results. There is a big different between something that hasn't been proven and something that has been disproved.

A lot of the topics that are worthy of debate are worthy because they don't have nice, neat, concise, answers that apply under all circumstances. So the "post a study or GTFO" attitude (again, devil's advocate... most people don't have this attitude) isn't always beneficial.
  • jjpptt2
    Options

Isn't there a difference between being open to new ideas and backing up what you say? You're shifting the goal posts here in your attempt to play devil's advocate (the devil needs no advocate. There are plenty doing that work in every debate).

I don't know you. I don't know if you're well-studied or just starting out. I don't know if you read a study two years ago or twenty. I don't know if it was presented to you accurately or if your memory of it is correct or hazy. Taking your word for it halts the discussion because I can't look into it further to see what information I'm missing.

If you don't want to provide sources, that's fine. It's never going to become a hard rule of the site. But it does turn a good, learnable discussion into nothing more than he said/she said.

Hmmm....

I think you get at an interesting piece of all this when you question my background/knowledge.

If Sidesteel were to come into one of these debates and post something that didn't line up with what I thought I knew, I'd be much more apt to take it at face value, and I'd certainly give it much more thought/consideration than if someone with 15 posts and a join date of August 2016 made that same claim. The perceived trustworthiness of the source matters. I can't decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it's certainly a thing.
  • mph323
    edited November 2016
    Options

Isn't there a difference between being open to new ideas and backing up what you say? You're shifting the goal posts here in your attempt to play devil's advocate (the devil needs no advocate. There are plenty doing that work in every debate).

I don't know you. I don't know if you're well-studied or just starting out. I don't know if you read a study two years ago or twenty. I don't know if it was presented to you accurately or if your memory of it is correct or hazy. Taking your word for it halts the discussion because I can't look into it further to see what information I'm missing.

If you don't want to provide sources, that's fine. It's never going to become a hard rule of the site. But it does turn a good, learnable discussion into nothing more than he said/she said.

Hmmm....

I think you get at an interesting piece of all this when you question my background/knowledge.

If Sidesteel were to come into one of these debates and post something that didn't line up with what I thought I knew, I'd be much more apt to take it at face value, and I'd certainly give it much more thought/consideration than if someone with 15 posts and a join date of August 2016 made that same claim. The perceived trustworthiness of the source matters. I can't decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it's certainly a thing.

Oh absolutely! Most people are far more likely to accept without question a citation from a textbook and less likely to accept one from a popular diet book.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'm not campaigning for a hard rule, really. I wish for more rigor when throwing around "facts." Something that would make someone think about what they were saying when they type one of the magic phrases. Question what they believe and why they believe it. I got kicked off yesterday by someone posting that they "read a book yesterday" that said pear shaped people shouldn't do lower body exercises. I asked politely twice for the book. I'd rather talk about someone's source being questionable than call them silly.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

OP, a question just occurred to me - are you talking about discussions in all forums or the debate forum specifically?

We can't all have personal trainers and dietitians, that's why we are here, of course, for peer support. I think people should be encouraged to be responsible and thoughtful when they are doling out advice on diet and exercise in particular, regardless of the venue.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

We can't all have personal trainers and dietitians, that's why we are here, of course, for peer support. I think people should be encouraged to be responsible and thoughtful when they are doling out advice on diet and exercise in particular, regardless of the venue.

The problem (which is evident by reading through the forums) is that so many people are "educated" by the woo and derp they read in magazines and see on Dr. Oz, or on some crackpot junk scientist's website. They firmly believe it is "fact" and will argue the point to the death despite being shown scientific evidence to the contrary. They think they're being responsible and thoughtful, but all they're doing is vomiting garbage. Ask them to source their claims and they'll link to a newspaper article, a blog, a YouTube video or some other such dubious, poorly vetted "source".

There's no way to stop them, but their credibility (or complete lack thereof) becomes evident after a few posts.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

The problem (which is evident by reading through the forums) is that so many people are "educated" by the woo and derp they read in magazines and see on Dr. Oz, or on some crackpot junk scientist's website. They firmly believe it is "fact" and will argue the point to the death despite being shown scientific evidence to the contrary. They think they're being responsible and thoughtful, but all they're doing is vomiting garbage. Ask them to source their claims and they'll link to a newspaper article, a blog, a YouTube video or some other such dubious, poorly vetted "source".

There's no way to stop them, but their credibility (or complete lack thereof) becomes evident after a few posts.

It's great when someone starts to realize how much they have been duped by the misinterpretations presented by media. Unfortunately, we also have those who insist on continuing to use these sources despite recognizing that they are insufficient at best and willfully misleading to increase readership at worse.