When you're "not fat but not skinny"...what does that even mean

Options
13»

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Rawr619 wrote: »
    I want to be strong skinny.... I actually find it a huge compliment when people call me skinny. You can be muscular and strong while also being skinny.I'm a rock climber and aspire to be a strong, skinny athlete. If you look at the large majority of professional rock climbers they fit into this category. To each their own.

Wow. Rock climbing is impressive. I can see how extra weight would be detrimental. Also sports that rely on speed need trimmer physiques than those that depend upon power.

Of course everyone has their own personal set of aesthetics and goals.
  • Blondieeee26
    Blondieeee26 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would take it to mean not skinny as in not skin and bones or ultra lean, but also not carrying too much extra fat either. Likely in the healthy BMI range and probably also in the healthy BF% range, though probably in the upper 20's rather than lower 20's or < 20%. (for women)

my body fat is 18...and i am a woman
  • Blondieeee26
    Options
    Not far but not skinny means normal weight. Skinny is usually used as a derogatory term for those who are underweight

I don't know why people can't just say "you look slim" or "you look thin" (or even just "you look great") though. The "not this but not that" approach seems almost passive aggressive.

I don't know why people can't just STFU commenting at all on someone's weight, good or bad or indifferent. Compliment my skirt or something but say nothing about my body. Ever. Not their business.

This! As someone who in the past ( high school) was incredibly insecure...99% of my insecurity came from comments i didn't even ask for...and i've never been "fat", I have always been on the very low end of normal for BMI, but kids are cruel lol
  • Blondieeee26
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Rawr619 wrote: »
    I want to be strong skinny.... I actually find it a huge compliment when people call me skinny. You can be muscular and strong while also being skinny.I'm a rock climber and aspire to be a strong, skinny athlete. If you look at the large majority of professional rock climbers they fit into this category. To each their own.

Wow. Rock climbing is impressive. I can see how extra weight would be detrimental. Also sports that rely on speed need trimmer physiques than those that depend upon power.

Of course everyone has their own personal set of aesthetics and goals.

Extra weight is more detrimental to runners lol...if we still want to have knees after finishing a marathon we better be BMI of <20 preferably <19

• DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of "You're too skinny" or "You need to eat" or disapproving looks at my plate when I serve myself because they're usually small portions... but little do they know I eat 6 times a day! So yes, those are not compliments! When someone calls me a "Skinny Minnie" or a "Skinny B*tch" or says "You're so tiny!" w/ a smile on their face, yes, those ARE compliments and I'll gladly take them! :)
    Also those people who "insult" me are not around me when I DO decide to indulge and I out-eat everyone at the table, cuz I can grub, so for them to judge me when they don't know the whole story is ridiculous and makes me very angry!
    I just wish people would mind their own business... I'm nowhere near anorexic and since they don't pay my bills they have no business telling me how I should live my life, or in this case, how much I should weigh/eat!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I would take it to mean not skinny as in not skin and bones or ultra lean, but also not carrying too much extra fat either. Likely in the healthy BMI range and probably also in the healthy BF% range, though probably in the upper 20's rather than lower 20's or < 20%. (for women)

my body fat is 18...and i am a woman

How do you measure you BF%?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I'm 25 and have only ever associated the word skinny as a positive term. I guess we all have different experiences.

That said I agree that unless you either know the person is trying to lose weight and/or you are EXTREMELY close to them it is inappropriate to comment on weight loss or gain.

I disagree. You see posts on here all the time from people complaining because no one has commented on their weight loss. I think most (not all) people like to here compliments about weight loss. Though I doubt many like to hear about weight gain.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Interesting. I'm 25 and have only ever associated the word skinny as a positive term. I guess we all have different experiences.

That said I agree that unless you either know the person is trying to lose weight and/or you are EXTREMELY close to them it is inappropriate to comment on weight loss or gain.

I disagree. You see posts on here all the time from people complaining because no one has commented on their weight loss. I think most (not all) people like to here compliments about weight loss. Though I doubt many like to hear about weight gain.

This made me laugh. I have a sister who years ago I hadn't seen for a long time because we just don't get along. When we ran into each other at a store, she looked at me and said, "you've sure gained a lot of weight since I saw you last." Needless to say, the relationship didn't improve one bit.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Not far but not skinny means normal weight. Skinny is usually used as a derogatory term for those who are underweight

I don't know why people can't just say "you look slim" or "you look thin" (or even just "you look great") though. The "not this but not that" approach seems almost passive aggressive.

I don't know why people can't just STFU commenting at all on someone's weight, good or bad or indifferent. Compliment my skirt or something but say nothing about my body. Ever. Not their business.

All of this! Especially when pregnant. No, I am not about to pop... I am not an effing balloon. Just STFU and MYOB.