Deficit Rack Pulls?!?

Options
I'm all for accessory work in the name of fixing sticking points of your deadlift but this variation just makes no sense to me. Since going to golds, I've been noticing more and more bros doing rack pulls whilst standing on a block. I know that deficit deadlifts are supposed to help you with your initial pull from the floor, and rack pulls are supposed to help you work on lock out. So why put the 2 together?!? Why not just do a conventional deadlift?!? This is kind of a bit of a rant, but I am also curious if there is any benefit to performing this variation.

Replies

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    A Deficit Rack Pull is an oxymoron. I have no idea why the brahs are doing this - perhaps it was featured in Muscle and Fitness? :D I agree with you - just frickin' Deadlift!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Yeah, well, welcome to Gold's, I guess.

In my gym, someone would look over and ask WTF that person was doing.

BTW - was it a block, or a Bosu ball? :D
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Here's a picture for reference. This guy was also hoarding bumper plates... I guess to fuel his ego and look strong?? But there are only 4 sets of 45lb bumper plates and lucky for me, there was one set left to help me and my hobbit legs get leg drive for bench press. Smh!! lcwa629ncbhz.png
  • maranarasauce93
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Why??
  • TR0berts
    Options
    Dat bent elbow, though! Deficit rack pulls with a row?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I wouldn't call that deficit rack pulls though since he is pulling the bar from knee level.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Not saying it's correct but the only thing I can think of as to why they would do that is to get into a different starting position if he's short.
    BTW never heard of them or seen them done.
  • maranarasauce93
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Dat bent elbow, though! Deficit rack pulls with a row?

And he was trying to teach the guy behind him the BS exercise. I really hope this guy is not a trainer because everything is wrong with this picture :0!
  • TR0berts
    Options
    Actually, since the rails are on the lowest hole, I guess it kinda makes sense. If you want to do some rack pulls from knee-height (as pointed out by SFL), then yeah - you'll have to do something to raise your feet.
  • maranarasauce93
    Options
    I wouldn't call that deficit rack pulls though since he is pulling the bar from knee level.

But still... why couldn't he just pull from the floor? After all, he is using bumpers.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    I am uneducated but wouldn't deficit imply that he would be pulling from lower than the bar normally would be and rack pulls can be done from a variety of heights? Or is there a set spot for pulls
  • singingflutelady
    Options

But still... why couldn't he just pull from the floor? After all, he is using bumpers.

Because the safeties are at the lowest spot they can go?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    From the picture, it looks like he is doing a standard rack pull - looks like the block simply puts him at the correct height in the rack to do the pull from. Could be a limitation of the rack itself where he cannot get the bars low enough to do a correct pull.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    based on the size of the guys calves.... he needs to do a lot more leg work.
  • maranarasauce93
    Options
    I am uneducated but wouldn't deficit imply that he would be pulling from lower than the bar normally would be and rack pulls can be done from a variety of heights? Or is there a set spot for pulls

Deficit deadlifts are normally done with the bar on the floor and the person standing on a plate or block. Once you elevate the bar, it negates the whole idea of a deficit deadlift; you are pretty much moving the bar closer to yourself making the exercise more like a regular deadlift.
  • leprechaun011
    leprechaun011 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    He's getting more range of motion than if he just used the last pins alone. Form looks terrible though and who wears a belt deadlifting 225lbs? And the belt.. :(
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options

No, there's not a set height that I'm aware of. Some start below the knee and some above. Different sticking points.
    I'm 5'11" and the rack I use puts the bar about 2 inches below my knee. If I wanted to start at a lower position I'd have to get on a box. Higher is easy, just move the bar up a notch.

• singingflutelady
    Options

Deficit deadlifts are normally done with the bar on the floor and the person standing on a plate or block. Once you elevate the bar, it negates the whole idea of a deficit deadlift; you are pretty much moving the bar closer to yourself making the exercise more like a regular deadlift.

I know what a deficit deadlift is. I meant that that looks like a normal rack pull but he uses the block to start with the bar at his knees so it isn't deficit
  • singingflutelady
    Options

No, there's not a set height that I'm aware of. Some start below the knee and some above. Different sticking points.
    I'm 5'11" and the rack I use puts the bar about 2 inches below my knee. If I wanted to start at a lower position I'd have to get on a box. Higher is easy, just move the bar up a notch.

That's what I though. Just confused why this would be called a deficit rack pull and not just rack pull
  • maranarasauce93
    Options
    He's getting more range of motion than if he just used the last pins alone. Form looks terrible though and who wears a belt deadlifting 225lbs? And the belt.. :(
    Actually it was 315 lolol.