Deficit Rack Pulls?!?

Replies

• maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    What you're seeing here is a standard rack pull, using a block to position himself in a desirable spot to work on what might be his sticking point. The safety pin only allows the bar to be what looks like no closer than two feet off of the ground. My sticking/slow point is about one foot off of the ground so I'd definitely use a box if I didn't have a cage that went lower. As for the bumpers, it could be that he's just not aware that it's common practice to use the bumpers for exercises where the barbell will come into contact with the floor. Instead of calling him an *kitten*, you could have educated him a little bit (and possibly have learned something yourself). People making fun of his calves should be ashamed, too.

Okok I learned a valuable lesson; everyone's sticking points with deadlifts are different, and it's ok to use a block during a rack pull if you can't adjust the safeties to an appropriate height for your sticking point. I'll try to be less judgy of the gym brahs
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    I don't see anything odd about this at all. Like a number of other people have said, he's adjusting to have it just below the knee. I have different height boxes I use at home to accomplish the same thing.

I totally just thought about this alternative too: if the sticking point is just below the knees but the safety height is too high, you can use a set of bumpers to prop the plates over. The bar moves around more easily but it could help get it to an appropriate height.

Then again, if the guy was doing this to help with a sticking point, I wouldn't be happy if he did this because then he'd be using all of the bumper plates in the gym :0.

This would be another option, but would your gym allow that? My gym would probably try to kick me out if I propped my bar up on plates/bumpers (because "fragile" they claim. must deadlift to mat or rack only..)
    Maybe if he propped on bumpers and lifted with bumpers, but then you need that many more bumpers, sooo..
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I'm jealous that your gym has bumper plates

Haha I mainly ended up choosing gold's because they have bumpers and self hand-off benches and no hex plates! Despite the ego lifters everywhere, it's pretty awesome :).

Every single gym has them. Much like every gym has that person who thinks they are too cool for school and knows more than everyone else.
    This isn't special or new. I don't get the hate- just go on about your business.
  • maranarasauce93
    JoRocka wrote: »

Haha I mainly ended up choosing gold's because they have bumpers and self hand-off benches and no hex plates! Despite the ego lifters everywhere, it's pretty awesome :).

Every single gym has them. Much like every gym has that person who thinks they are too cool for school and knows more than everyone else.
    This isn't special or new. I don't get the hate- just go on about your business.

I don't always hate on the ego lifters. But when I do, they either take equipment for me when I'm not done with it, they hoarde equipment I want/need, and they don't unrack their bars or clean up after themselves.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    I don't see anything odd about this at all. Like a number of other people have said, he's adjusting to have it just below the knee. I have different height boxes I use at home to accomplish the same thing.

Sorry I guess I'm not as familiar with this and didn't understand it but I guess it makes sense after all the explanation. Don't mean to seem like an ahole

I've done the same thing. By which I mean kind of make fun of something that appears kind of stupid and then found out it's legit. I remember the first time I saw someone doing cable pull throughs. I was pretty certain they were trying to saw their bollocks off. They looked ridiculous. Now I do them from time to time with bands :smiley:
  • JoRocka
    edited November 2016

I don't always hate on the ego lifters. But when I do, they either take equipment for me when I'm not done with it, they hoarde equipment I want/need, and they don't unrack their bars or clean up after themselves.

That's not ego lifters- that's just douchebaggery LOL

Sorry I guess I'm not as familiar with this and didn't understand it but I guess it makes sense after all the explanation. Don't mean to seem like an ahole

I've done the same thing. By which I mean kind of make fun of something that appears kind of stupid and then found out it's legit. I remember the first time I saw someone doing cable pull throughs. I was pretty certain they were trying to saw their bollocks off. They looked ridiculous. Now I do them from time to time with bands :smiley:

First time I saw someone do the old school "leg press" was on a smith machine upside down (lay on your back- legs straight up and it really hammers the top of the hammy/bottom of the glute) I was really side eying it.
    Little did I know.

shame on me.

Also- my snarky comment is forever memorialized on the "so you want to start running" thread- only about a year or so ago- it was a douchy thing to say and I can't fix it now LOL- first page. go me. Way to be inclusive and supportive.
  • maranarasauce93

That's not ego lifters- that's just douchebaggery LOL

First time I saw someone do the old school "leg press" was on a smith machine upside down (lay on your back- legs straight up and it really hammers the top of the hammy/bottom of the glute) I was really side eying it.
    Little did I know.

shame on me.

Also- my snarky comment is forever memorialized on the "so you want to start running" thread- only about a year or so ago- it was a douchy thing to say and I can't fix it now LOL- first page. go me. Way to be inclusive and supportive.

Haha exercising can be interesting and sometimes weird looking!! I saw dlb doing that leg press smith machine variation. Looks super cool!! Also, these guys were snickering at me once when I was doing good mornings so I should be more sensitive to fact that there are a wide variety of exercises and variations out there and that I shouldn't be a *kitten* and make fun of people :0.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited November 2016

I'm sure people laugh at my Jefferson deadlift, zercher squats and lunges and barbell hack squats lol
  • juliewatkin

I'm sure people laugh at my Jefferson deadlift, zercher squats and lunges and barbell hack squats lol

The longer I've been lifting, the less likely I am to laugh at anything. When you're starting out with something, you don't know what you don't know. After 10 years I'm well versed in the fact that there's lots I don't know; particularly what anyone else's goals may be.

I love zerchers and have been sourcing a zercher harness. They're expensive. I've done them for years on my arms but the older I get the more my elbows hate them.
  • singingflutelady

The longer I've been lifting, the less likely I am to laugh at anything. When you're starting out with something, you don't know what you don't know. After 10 years I'm well versed in the fact that there's lots I don't know; particularly what anyone else's goals may be.

I love zerchers and have been sourcing a zercher harness. They're expensive. I've done them for years on my arms but the older I get the more my elbows hate them.

I really like zerchers too for some reason. I think Jeffersons are the ones that people look at me the most. It's mostly guys who get a pained look on their face lol.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

I really like zerchers too for some reason. I think Jeffersons are the ones that people look at me the most. It's mostly guys who get a pained look on their face lol.

Yeah. I have short arms. Jeffersons scare me. :#
  • juliewatkin
    TR0berts wrote: »

I like zerchers because I have long humerus bones and can move a lot of weight like that so I feel like a rock star.

With respect to Jefferson deadlifts, I bet this gets a lot of looks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPrqi-5VMgU
  • maranarasauce93

I like zerchers because I have long humerus bones and can move a lot of weight like that so I feel like a rock star.

With respect to Jefferson deadlifts, I bet this gets a lot of looks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPrqi-5VMgU

I have tiny limbs so I feel like I'd have a bad time with both zerchers and the Jefferson deadlift lol.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    With respect to Jefferson deadlifts, I bet this gets a lot of looks

Aaaaand it just got one more. 10/10 would watch again. :D
  • JoRocka
    @juliewatkin I think it's part of maturing. as you get older in your "sport" or life- you realize a lot of those things don't matter- and you know less and if you just STFU you'll probably learn more and look less stupid. #guiltyAF of this. Glad life has given me the chance to grow up a little. I'm not really all that grown up- but damnit- I'm trying.

RE: Jeffersons- tried- never got comfortable with them- so meh. not so much.
  • singingflutelady
    I started doing them after a back injury as they put less stress on the back and still through them in from time to time as you can go heavier with them (since it's a half squat/half deadlift type lift) and it's good for the ego ;)
  • juliewatkin
    I started doing them after a back injury as they put less stress on the back and still through them in from time to time as you can go heavier with them (since it's a half squat/half deadlift type lift) and it's good for the ego ;)

I may give them a go soon. Maybe tonight after my heavy stuff. I just get the feeling that the guy coaching the woman doing them in the video above may have needed a moment alone.
  • singingflutelady

I may give them a go soon. Maybe tonight after my heavy stuff. I just get the feeling that the guy coaching the woman doing them in the video above may have needed a moment alone.

That video is interesting lol
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2016

i'm just happy to find someone who's done them as well. i can't pretend not to be influenced by the knowledge i'm probably That Guy** to a lot of the folks who see it, but i had a reason when i was doing them.

my only issue with that video is . . . the miniskirt makes no sense to me.

**gender-universal usage.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member

i am not going to make the painfully-literal answer to this. i am . . . oh okay.

surely if your arms are long enough for - nope.

changed my mind. i think there might be guy considerations involved in all this that i don't need to worry about.