Deficit Rack Pulls?!?

Replies

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    I am uneducated but wouldn't deficit imply that he would be pulling from lower than the bar normally would be and rack pulls can be done from a variety of heights? Or is there a set spot for pulls

No, there's not a set height that I'm aware of. Some start below the knee and some above. Different sticking points.
    I'm 5'11" and the rack I use puts the bar about 2 inches below my knee. If I wanted to start at a lower position I'd have to get on a box. Higher is easy, just move the bar up a notch.

That's what I though. Just confused why this would be called a deficit rack pull and not just rack pull

I've not thought about using a box to stand on because the height is right for me where it's at.
    If someone shorter than me, say 5'5", has a sticking point around mid shin level and the bar can't go lower you'd have to stand on something to get below the knee.

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    based on the size of the guys calves.... he needs to do a lot more leg work.

LOL-I was just about to post the same thing!
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    I am uneducated but wouldn't deficit imply that he would be pulling from lower than the bar normally would be and rack pulls can be done from a variety of heights? Or is there a set spot for pulls

No, there's not a set height that I'm aware of. Some start below the knee and some above. Different sticking points.
    I'm 5'11" and the rack I use puts the bar about 2 inches below my knee. If I wanted to start at a lower position I'd have to get on a box. Higher is easy, just move the bar up a notch.

That's what I though. Just confused why this would be called a deficit rack pull and not just rack pull

I think I'm just confused because a rack pull or block pull is when the bar is elevated and it's main function is to focus on lockout, rather than having a person move through the full ROM of the deadlift. So I pretty much am confused why he adds a box to the rack. Like what is his goal here other than potential ego lifting??
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    based on the size of the guys calves.... he needs to do a lot more leg work.

LOL-I was just about to post the same thing!

Quit making fun of my calves :D

• cjdecz
    cjdecz Posts: 30 Member
    Here's a picture for reference.
    Wow, why the hate on this guy? You don't know this guy and you don't know his story so cut him some slack.

OP, I'm confused... a deficit rack pull is still just a rack pull. I'm guessing the person doing them just doesn't have a power-rack that can get low enough so they use a platform to increase their ROM.

• maranarasauce93
    Not saying it's correct but the only thing I can think of as to why they would do that is to get into a different starting position if he's short.
    BTW never heard of them or seen them done.

Haha I just made up the name because it's a total oxymoron-- which is what I thought he was doing seemed like. And this guy wasn't short by any means. Nor am I aware of his sticking points. But it seems almost counter intuitive for him to have the safeties set to the lowest level AND to stand on a block. And then he has his shorter friend try out the same exercise like it's a one-size-fits all set up. I just don't get it...but if I see shorter people doing this exercise, particularly when the safeties are non-adjustable, I'll better understand it.
  • maranarasauce93
    cjdecz wrote: »
    Wow, why the hate on this guy? You don't know this guy and you don't know his story so cut him some slack.

OP, I'm confused... a deficit rack pull is still just a rack pull. I'm guessing the person doing them just doesn't have a power-rack that can get low enough so they use a platform to increase their ROM.

More than anything, I was hating on the fact that he was using 3 sets of bumper plates when there were metal plates of the same exact weight AND he wasn't even pulling from the floor so why even use bumpers?!?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    The safeties on the cage at my gym can go lower than this one.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    I don't see anything odd about this at all. Like a number of other people have said, he's adjusting to have it just below the knee. I have different height boxes I use at home to accomplish the same thing.
  • maranarasauce93
    I don't see anything odd about this at all. Like a number of other people have said, he's adjusting to have it just below the knee. I have different height boxes I use at home to accomplish the same thing.

Sorry I guess I'm not as familiar with this and didn't understand it but I guess it makes sense after all the explanation. Don't mean to seem like an ahole
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Dat bent elbow, though! Deficit rack pulls with a row?

When I pull I want to say one of my broken bones never quite straightens out- so I mean- he could just not have straight bones.
    This makes SOME amount of sense to me.

The odds of him being an idiot or MUCH higher than him adjusting to pull from a place that makes sense- but it's a perfectly logical reason for why he was doing them on the box.

The bumper plates- well- there isn't any excusing that unless there were no other 45's when he was loading up.
  • maranarasauce93
    JoRocka wrote: »

When I pull I want to say one of my broken bones never quite straightens out- so I mean- he could just not have straight bones.

The odds of him being an idiot or MUCH higher than him adjusting to pull from a place that makes sense- but it's a perfectly logical reason for why he was doing them on the box.

The bumper plates- well- there isn't any excusing that unless there were no other 45's when he was loading up.

It was like 12pm. The gym was practically empty. No excuses and I was peeved!
  • singingflutelady
    I'm jealous that your gym has bumper plates
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »

It was like 12pm. The gym was practically empty. No excuses and I was peeved!
    well flip side- maybe he likes using them because the bar feels better (distribution wise) and if it was empty- maybe he though no one cared.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Actually, since the rails are on the lowest hole, I guess it kinda makes sense. If you want to do some rack pulls from knee-height (as pointed out by SFL), then yeah - you'll have to do something to raise your feet.

well since you beat me to it I guess I have nothing important to say.
  • maranarasauce93

I totally just thought about this alternative too: if the sticking point is just below the knees but the safety height is too high, you can use a set of bumpers to prop the plates over. The bar moves around more easily but it could help get it to an appropriate height.

Then again, if the guy was doing this to help with a sticking point, I wouldn't be happy if he did this because then he'd be using all of the bumper plates in the gym :0.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    What you're seeing here is a standard rack pull, using a block to position himself in a desirable spot to work on what might be his sticking point. The safety pin only allows the bar to be what looks like no closer than two feet off of the ground. My sticking/slow point is about one foot off of the ground so I'd definitely use a box if I didn't have a cage that went lower. As for the bumpers, it could be that he's just not aware that it's common practice to use the bumpers for exercises where the barbell will come into contact with the floor. Instead of calling him an *kitten*, you could have educated him a little bit (and possibly have learned something yourself). People making fun of his calves should be ashamed, too.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    cjdecz wrote: »

More than anything, I was hating on the fact that he was using 3 sets of bumper plates when there were metal plates of the same exact weight AND he wasn't even pulling from the floor so why even use bumpers?!?

you gotta use bumper plates bra those look way heavier from across the room.
  • maranarasauce93

Haha I mainly ended up choosing gold's because they have bumpers and self hand-off benches and no hex plates! Despite the ego lifters everywhere, it's pretty awesome :).
  • singingflutelady

Haha I mainly ended up choosing gold's because they have bumpers and self hand-off benches and no hex plates! Despite the ego lifters everywhere, it's pretty awesome :).

My gym has some great powerlifters including world and Canadian champions/record holders and it's just a YMCA! We don't have hex plates thank goodness!