Never Been to Tim Hortons

Options
124»

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,931 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    One of the things I like about the Tim Hortons donuts is that they aren't so sickly sweet as places like Krispy Kreme

this yeah, for sure. huge excitement for some reason when a kk opened up somewhere around here, and somebody brought a big flat of them to work once.

i couldn't. i'm all about the sugar, but the one that i tried was so sweet it was almost like a corrosive effect to my mouth. it was almost like a kind of hyper-concentration of sweetness beyond what normal sugar can carry per molecule.

Yep ... good description of a Krispy Kreme donut!

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I keep hoping this thread is going to be like Never Seen Star Wars

i've never seen the sopranos. does that help?

• astrocosmiczoom
    astrocosmiczoom Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Ice Capp erry day
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Canadian here - but marginal about Tims. I think their chili is good, their chicken noodle soup is good, I think they have broc and cheese soup and thats good - my favourite doughnut is the chocolate dipped (oh now I want one, and I can see a Tims from my office window!) Love the skim milk iced capps in the summer.

They also carry oatmeal, fruit and yogurt cups which are pretty good options for breakfast.

All the nutritional info is on line (someone posted the link above). They appear to be a pretty good corporate player, in that they do a lot of community work, especially around hockey (of course - its Canada). They have special cookie days when all proceeds from those sales go to a childrens camp, I think. and of course, no true Canadain can bear to pass up a "roll up the rim" opportunity (during certain times of the year, a prize notification is hidden under the rim of the paper coffee mug - ranges from a new car to a free coffee - you have to unroll the rim to find it)

Food is inexpensive, not horrible, you can watch them make it, and its pretty quick for the lunch bunch who need to grab and go.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I ended up going there last night with my class since we were tight on time and every other place was very busy, I'll admit it may not have been the most authentic place to eat but I've been to New York City two other times at least and it was admittedly nice getting dinner for only $7.
    I tried the canadian maple filled donut and the steak fajita wrap. The donut was mediocre at best (like a Dunkin' Donuts donut, but it tasted stale and as if they baked it rather than fried so perhaps this is why it seemed more dry). The wrap was surprisingly very satisfying, although the tortilla didn't really hold everything together too well and it was messy. I'd probably go back (not in New York but if they opened more locations closer to my house) for their food, but their donuts were very disappointing in my opinion.
    I was looking forward to trying a flavored latte of some sort but they said they didn't have any decaffeinated options available and it was 7pm; I'm way too sensitive to caffeine to do that to myself! My boyfriend ordered a small black coffee for himself and I tried a sip, tasted just like Dunkin's black coffee!
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    As many have said, Tim Hortons is a Canadian staple . . . their lunch menu is basically their menu for things other than doughnuts. They make sandwiches and such all the time, pretty much any time.

The ones around where I live stop baking at about 8 pm, so whatever they have at that point is what they have for the night kinda thing. I have heard the doughnuts are a bit different in the states than here, like the Apple Fritters are much dough-ier but I can't verify that.

Hope you enjoy it! I love Tim Hortons . . . I almost always make room for a medium double double in my day :)