How to not overeat in a world full of slobs

Replies

• BuffMom84
    BuffMom84 Posts: 180 Member
    I don't know if your McDonald's sells salads but you could eat those with a light dressing. Their grilled chicken sandwiches are okay too. Just get a side salad instead of fries. Drink diet soda or water. There's always little tweaks that you can make that will save you hundreds of calories per day, at a fast food restaurant or at home. If you want to eat chips as a snack, count out 1 portion of chips, eat it, record it and move on. You make money at McDonald's, use some of it to get a few healthy snacks like fruits and veggies for yourself. I wish I was 5'5" and 135 pounds. I'm 5'3" and my goal weight is 130.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    This reply is no so much to the poster of the questions but others of you who bang on that all food is ok...I find this attitude that there are no bad or unhealthy foods crazy, would you feed a baby processed cookies etc... (home made/whole foods fine) there are sooo many GMO, artificial synthetic food additives which ARE bad and unhealthy... and should be part of NO persons diet, all whole natural foods are healthy in moderation, but in this time we are not just dealing with "normal food" we are dealing with chemically altered ingredients, our cancer rates are insane compared to the past, you are lying to yourself if you think processed food is fine in moderation. Some times its a question of where we want to put our money... do i want to give McDonalds. my cash? no I would rather support the small business owners. to the poster... I would do things like buy a big bag of apples and nuts and really good yoghurts wouldn't cost a lot, and then work around what your folks are already eating, just supplement your diet with fresh fruit. take the fruit yogurt etc... to work. You could also try out new recipes with your family if they like eating fried foods, fries etc... you could make your own homemade sweet potatoes ships, fries, baked in olive oil see if they like them (they prob will), influence things gently.

Well, not sure why everyone suddenly defends McDonald's so much, and why kiwiapplepear is under so much criticism and ambush. Generally, she's correct, processed foods are not so good and healthy, we should try to avoid them, if possible, for our own good, supporting small businesses in your neighborhood is wonderful especially if they work hard to bring a good change, in our food choices, for instance. Also, she pointed out some healthy changes OP can make for herself and her family, including getting involved and helping out with cooking. All good things to try. I, myself, do not eat processed foods for years, a lot of home cooked meals, relatively inexpensive, and mostly organic too. I believe it's a good approach for me ans my family, although i won't be preaching foe everyone to do the same, but i think if i can cut back the unneeded chemicals and additives out of my diet, it can only benefit me.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    This reply is no so much to the poster of the questions but others of you who bang on that all food is ok...I find this attitude that there are no bad or unhealthy foods crazy, would you feed a baby processed cookies etc... (home made/whole foods fine) there are sooo many GMO, artificial synthetic food additives which ARE bad and unhealthy... and should be part of NO persons diet, all whole natural foods are healthy in moderation, but in this time we are not just dealing with "normal food" we are dealing with chemically altered ingredients, our cancer rates are insane compared to the past, you are lying to yourself if you think processed food is fine in moderation. Some times its a question of where we want to put our money... do i want to give McDonalds. my cash? no I would rather support the small business owners. to the poster... I would do things like buy a big bag of apples and nuts and really good yoghurts wouldn't cost a lot, and then work around what your folks are already eating, just supplement your diet with fresh fruit. take the fruit yogurt etc... to work. You could also try out new recipes with your family if they like eating fried foods, fries etc... you could make your own homemade sweet potatoes ships, fries, baked in olive oil see if they like them (they prob will), influence things gently.
    :lol:
    Back up your giant claims, please! @kiwiapplepear

There are no unhealthy foods, just unhealthy habits. A dietitian would disagree with your claims.

Speaking of babies and cookies; I was born 3 months premature in the 80s and was in hospital for 3 months. When my mother was able to take me home, I was still quite fragile to the point where my doctor didn't think I'd make it. she fed me powdered arrowroot biscuits in warm milk to get my weight up. Yes, you read that correctly. I ended up SURVIVING thanks to her.

Also, those who live in glass houses......

Dietitians are in bed with Big Aspartame.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ...You do know that it took thousands of years to develop apples from some tiny hard fruit you'd have a hard time eating if your life depended on it (and of which you would have to force down dozens to get a couple hundred calories). The apples you eat wouldn't reproduce "true" if allowed to reseed -- they have to be grafted onto other apple trees that aren't allowed to produce the apples that their own genetic heritage would produce. How is that "natural"?

That lovely, whole, pure, all natural banana doesn't look anything like a wild banana either. Bananas have been genetically modified to be more palatable/edible, or we probably wouldn't be eating them at all.

They've still got some work to do on making them palatable if you ask me
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,901 Member
    I by no means eat "clean" or "healthy" by standards the people think "healthy" is. Health is more than just about eating. There are lots of people who I know eat "healthier" than I do, but yet can't lose weight nor physically look or avoid illness the same as I do.
    Others components to good health revolve around: physical activity, right amount of rest, correct weight for one's frame and build, risk behavior (smoking, drugs, risky sports), genetics, mental health, and how happy one is with oneself. If anyone of those are jeopardized, then it still wouldn't matter how "healthy" one eats.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png