Did you get rid of your bigger clothes?

Options
Hi--I first posted this in the general weight loss section, but wanted to include it here, too.

I'm 43, female, and I've yo-yoed a few times over the years, going between 120 and 158 lbs. With my current weight loss (at 137 currently, down from 153), I'm feelintg fairly optimistic that I can reach my goal weight of 125 (range +/- a few lbs) and more importantly, maintain it using MFP combined with 16/8 IF. This weight loss effort just feels different, like I've finally figured it out!

However, I find myself having trouble getting rid of my bigger sized clothes that no longer fit me. I've always kept a range of sizes "just in case", and especially for those years when I was having babies with the weight gain and slow postpartum weight loss. But I'm finished having babies, and have a well-laid out plan for weight loss and maintainance. So should I go ahead and just get rid of the bigger clothes now? Or wait until I'm at my goal and see how maintainance goes for a while first? Will keeping them just be a crutch, "allowing" me to get lazy and gain it back?

I'm curious what others have done. Did you feel better tossing the big clothes? Or did you keep them "just in case"?

Replies

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Like you, I kept a range of sizes. This time ALL the weight has come off. and it just feels right this time after 30+ years of yo yo-ing. I have purged clothes twice now and have had no regrets about doing so. I'm a jeans & t shirts sort of gal so I don't get into fashion at all. I've been only buying a few things. I don't need or want closets full of clothes again. From here on out, if it doesn't fit, it's gone. Congrats on your weight loss, keep up the good work!
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    Once a month I get rid of a couple of items. My self view needs to progress with my weight loss...but it has not. I almost feel a sense of fear giving away the items because I still view myself as fitting in that stuff. So strange....
  • hikernut53
    hikernut53 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    After a lifetime of yo-yo dieting, and closet full of clothes in many sizes, I finally said goodbye to the bigger clothes. I filled 3 large garbage bags for the thrift store. It does feel different this time. And it feels good!
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I have donated almost all my bigger clothes, with the exception of some sweaters and tops that I can still wear - even though they are really big on me.

It's a little scary, but also pretty cool. I had kept a few "smaller" clothes over the years in hopes of fitting into them again... most of which I do now and a few that are my next "goal" pieces.

I go through my closet once a month and clear out things that are now too big. I have kept one pair of jeans from my largest size so I can really see how far I've come when I'm feeling down.
  • grammageegee
    grammageegee Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    What is 16/8 IF
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    It's a scary ride to Goodwill, but you will feel so relieved once you make the trip. I was also pleased to get back so much space in my closet and drawers.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I took in pieces I loved and donated the rest. Keeping them around "just in case" allows me to gain, but not having something larger to wear ensures I keep on track. I don't want to label my clothes as "skinny" or "fat", I just want to call them clothes.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I have donated almost all my bigger clothes, with the exception of some sweaters and tops that I can still wear - even though they are really big on me.

It's a little scary, but also pretty cool. I had kept a few "smaller" clothes over the years in hopes of fitting into them again... most of which I do now and a few that are my next "goal" pieces.

I go through my closet once a month and clear out things that are now too big. I have kept one pair of jeans from my largest size so I can really see how far I've come when I'm feeling down.

OP here--I was thinking about doing this! It's funny how reading about what others have done has helped me decide! I'm going to get rid of most of my big clothes, keeping one of the biggest pairs of jeans, and that's about it! I'm a "keeper" of things in general, trying to get better about decluttering. Although, I'm thankful now for the "skinny" clothes I kept!

It's a little unnerving to give away my "crutch" clothes, but I'm excited!

Thanks for your responses!
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Yep! I totally gave them up. I hope and pray I never need them again....ever.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    What is 16/8 IF

IF is intermittent fasting. So for 16/8, a person will fast for 16 hours, and then has an 8 hour window to eat. I love IF. I find i'm not as hungry as when I was trying to fit all my meals throughout the whole day.