Did you get rid of your bigger clothes?

Options

Replies

• YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I have a closet full of clothes in sizes from 2 to 16. They are in spacebags, and I still have no room for anything else in that closet. I do want to get rid of those clothes once they are too big for me....but I do have that fear of "what if". So I don't know. Maybe I'll just keep up to size 8 or 10 for a while, and if I'm still at the weight I want to be, I'll toss them too.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I keep one size too big, but donate anything two sizes too big.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    What is 16/8 IF

IF is intermittent fasting. So for 16/8, a person will fast for 16 hours, and then has an 8 hour window to eat. I love IF. I find i'm not as hungry as when I was trying to fit all my meals throughout the whole day.

I'm sorry, I meant to go back and answer this. But just what she said--I love it! It took me a while to find just the right IF method for me, but 16/8 is it!
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I donated items to thrift stores and bought items for in between sizes. Now I am at goal, I still shop at thrift stores!
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Most of my stuff is from the thrift store. I got rid of the largest sizes because I hated those clothes anyway. Now I am just keeping the things I really cherish and re-donating the rest. I found that the clothes I saved, for the smaller size, are not to my liking now anyway. Might as well let someone who need them use them. No reason to have clothes to wear if you get bigger...makes it to easy to go back. It is hard to let them go, but I think its part of the process. NOW, I only buy something if it fits fabulous now and makes me look and feel great.
  • LindaGilpin59
    LindaGilpin59 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I started out with about 20 pairs of pants that were too small and am down to one. I have gone through my closet several times since I started this time in May and while it feels to early to tell if I am going to get to GW I have been getting rid of them. I am 48 pounds down and about 1/2 way to goal. So I have been giving clothes away and those family/friends can't use have been going to charity. Also have tossed out some that might someday fit but I just never felt good in. Or those what was I thinking buys. Closet is much more manageable when you don't have things that don't fit. Have bought just a few new things on Clearance or Thrift store finds to wear until they no longer fit because they are too big.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    While losing 75 lbs, I literally shopped in my closet until I reached goal weight, since I had stuff in all those sizes, anyway.

Then I donated everything that no longer fit, with the exception of one pair of sweatpants because Thanksgiving/Christmas dinners. :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,937 Member
    Options
    No, I haven't gotten rid of them. But I did sort our my closet and put all the really big stuff into storage bins which are now in the basement.

Next time we move, I'll go through them again will likely get rid of some.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I have given away or donated everything except two sweatshirts. I don't particularly mind swimming in them.
  • kkapow03
    kkapow03 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I kept several pairs of jeans, starting with my largest pair. As my weight loss continued, I'd take pictures of all of them lying on top of each other, just to see my progress. I am planning on getting rid of them for good though.
  • krissy5686
    krissy5686 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I get rid of mine as soon as they don't. It's a really fun NSV for me, and even visually making more room in my closet gets me excited that soon I'll be able to replace them with newer, smaller clothes.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Did you feel better tossing the big clothes? Or did you keep them "just in case"?

I kept them for the first year because I knew I would yo-yo a bit. After that I started getting rid of all the XL shirts and 36 inch waist pants and stocking Large and 34's. That last a few years and finally got down to Medium shirts and 32's, but still hanging on the L/34's for a little longer until I settle to my size again.

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I have zero intention of ever gaining my 40+ lbs back, so I kicked my fatty clothes to the curb. (Except for a few pairs of maternity pants and tunic-length tops for when we are ready for baby #3) In my opinion, keeping your larger-sized clothes is a subconscious way of intending to backslide. It's giving yourself permission to fail. And I don't play that. There is only one direction that it's an option to go in, and that's forward, never backward.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have lost 110 pounds and have lost 10 inches off my waist in 10 months. I am keeping my biggest pants and a shirt or 2 to remind me of where i do not want to go again
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I keep all of my old clothes.

It's a reminder of how far I've come and keeping the closet/drawers full keeps me from thinking that I've got a lot of space to put more clothes in. Just like the rest of your house (apt), if it looks empty, you tend to buy stuff to fill it up. It's human nature.

And, if I lapse, which is also human nature, I won't have to buy any new clothes. It will be humbling enough to have to wear larger sizes; needing to buy new clothes on top of that would just make all the more painful financially.