Did you get rid of your bigger clothes?

Options

Replies

• caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I am looking forward with my new figure and healthy lifestyle. Every single shred of my larger clothes were sent to donation boxes, goodwill, yard sales and friends who could use them. Holding on to them in my mind gives me a reason to back peddle. I have more than enough old pictures of me in my old clothes to look back on if I want a reminder of how morbidly obese I was.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I've donated most of my clothes. I have the largest pair of pants I ever wore as a memento of how huge I was. I do have 2 pairs of size 16W jeans that I'm keeping simply because they cost an addition $50 to have to waists taken in. I don't expect to need to wear them, but it's difficult to find pants that fit me (small waist, big butt). I have been keeping 1 size larger pants in case I gain up.

Tops I'm not worried about having larger sizes just in case. I nearly swim in small tops (depends on the arm). I wear my large shirts as nightgowns.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hi--I first posted this in the general weight loss section, but wanted to include it here, too.

I'm 43, female, and I've yo-yoed a few times over the years, going between 120 and 158 lbs. With my current weight loss (at 137 currently, down from 153), I'm feelintg fairly optimistic that I can reach my goal weight of 125 (range +/- a few lbs) and more importantly, maintain it using MFP combined with 16/8 IF. This weight loss effort just feels different, like I've finally figured it out!

However, I find myself having trouble getting rid of my bigger sized clothes that no longer fit me. I've always kept a range of sizes "just in case", and especially for those years when I was having babies with the weight gain and slow postpartum weight loss. But I'm finished having babies, and have a well-laid out plan for weight loss and maintainance. So should I go ahead and just get rid of the bigger clothes now? Or wait until I'm at my goal and see how maintainance goes for a while first? Will keeping them just be a crutch, "allowing" me to get lazy and gain it back?

I'm curious what others have done. Did you feel better tossing the big clothes? Or did you keep them "just in case"?

I didn't leave myself a "just in case" loophole. IMO, it's the wrong mindset. Yeah...I ditched my old clothes...3.5+ years later I'm still rockin'. Maintenance is pretty easy when you've committed to a life of kick *kitten* nutrition and regular exercise.

I usually put on about 8-10 Lbs over the winter and I can still fit into the same clothes as when I'm 8-10 Lbs lighter...they're just a bit more snug and a good reminder to say eff the cold and get out there and go.
  • akboy58
    akboy58 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I went through something like 4 separate wardrobes on the way from 255 lbs to 178 lbs. I started out with a 50 suit size, a 42-inch waist, and casual wear mostly in the XXL range. I'm now wearing a 38/40 suit, a 32-inch waist in pants, and most of my knock-around clothes are size M. I've been maintaining at the 178-lb weight for over a year now. I actually never thought I would get this far, and since I was sure that each 20 lbs lost would be my last, I didn't buy cheap "interim weight-loss" clothes to tide me over on the way to a final goal weight, but bought good stuff that ended up not fitting me for very long. Psychologically it was really, REALLY important that I not keep outsize clothes, since it left open the possibility that I would fall off the wagon and gain the weight back. So as I shrank out of it I got rid of almost all the interim stuff -- gave it to charity, mostly. It's been an expensive process, but looking back I honestly don't have any regrets.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    The first time I cleaned out my closet after losing enough to have clothes way big it was hard. I loved my clothes and had tons of them. Now, as soon as clothes feel sloppy or my pants start to slide - they are out the door. I never intend to wear that size again!
  • LynnBBQ72
    LynnBBQ72 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Just letting you all know that you have inspired me to get rid of my old clothes. I think I was hanging on to them, thinking somewhere in the back of my head, that I might not succeed and keep the weight off. Now I realize I am giving myself a loophole and I CANNOT do that. I will keep one big pair of pants so I can do the Before / After thing. Thank you!
  • EternalTruth
    EternalTruth Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I have always kept a range in the past but this time I am throwing them out or donating them as I go down in size. I am 42 now and it is a lot harder to lose weight now than it was when I was younger. I am going to get to my target and I am never going to let food rule me again.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I am at 133 down from 153. I have "slowly" donated clothing. I have always kept a few size ranges in my closet. In the winter I go up some and I need the next size up and in the summer I go back down. Plus, my office attire wasn't cheap. I'm currently looking at having my trousers tucked and hemmed. I also practice the "buy something new donate something old" method. I did I6/8 IF last winter and may pick it back up this winter. I'm too active to handle it during the warmer months.
  • jamesha100
    jamesha100 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I lost over 50 pounds last year and have put it back on. I had kept my larger clothes and there was some angst when I had to go back to them but obviously not enough. If I had got rid of them I think I might have got myself under control earlier.

I feel very daft for putting the weight back on - this time the clothes are going to go as soon as I am comfortably fitting my smaller ones.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I used to keep everything in my closet from size 4 on up through size 10. When I could barely fit into the 10s, I decided to try to lose weight (41.8 pounds and just a hair shy of my goal at this point). I am down to size 2 now, but had previously gotten rid of the size 2 clothes because I figured I'd never be that size again. Oops.

Still, I am donating as I go. I took 9 bags of clothes to Goodwill a few weeks ago and am already working on a second donation (a few things slipped by last time). It was just too easy last time to keep eating, stop moving, and gain like 10 pounds a year. I don't want to do that again.
  • carpe_vinum
    carpe_vinum Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have donated cheaper items and sold a lot of my high-end brand clothing on Poshmark. I've made a little over $500 in the last two months. Larger/plus size items are hot sellers and it's super easy - you can do it all from your phone. =)
  • chriskalen
    chriskalen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I seem to be in the minority here, but I have kept many of my old clothes. Historically, for me, not having big enough clothing has never been the reason that I stay on track. My motivations for keeping weight off are not related to not having clothes to wear - I love shopping, so when I've gained weight in the past, I've just bought bigger clothes.

A caveat: I did go through all of my bigger clothes before putting them away, and I got rid of any clothes that were worn out, or that I didn't really like anymore. But when I was heavier, I had a lot of super cute dresses and tops that I loved and that in some cases were expensive, so I kept those. I am committed to being my current size or smaller. But you just never know: even if I were meticulous about maintaining, something could happen that could cause me to gain: if I were to get pregnant and it took me a while to lose that weight, or if something health-related (a medication or something) caused me to gain weight, I would be SO SAD that I had both gained weight AND tossed my favorite bigger clothes.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yes. It took a while but I even gave away clothes I had hardly worn on my way from size 16 to size 6. It was hard but necessary.
  • JeffreyOC
    JeffreyOC Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I've given several bags of clothing to charity however I do keep some stuff to remind myself of how far I've come and how easy it is to be that size again.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I think I'm about to make my first trip to Goodwill and give away my bigger clothes. I've kept everything in the past and that just allowed me to yo-yo. I don't want to go back so they have to go. I'm going to be sad to see some pieces I used to love go, but they don't flatter me anymore. I only like to keep clothes that are too small so that I have a goal to reach.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I have a range of about 3 sizes in my closet--more so for pants rather than tops--my tops are almost all size medium. With respect to the pants--I have the size I wear usually, one size down for skinny days (and hopefully these will be my usual pants soon), and then one size up for fat days. Of course all pants (brands/cuts) fit a little differently so even my usual pants might be a range depending on that. Once I've solidly moved down a size (maintained for a couple of months), I donate the ones that are now 2 sizes bigger.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I had a few unique and special pieces altered and donated the rest. No safety net for me! I had also saved all my pre-fat clothes, so my shopping was really limited to a few things. I did have to buy new workout clothes. Hard to do intervals on the elliptical if you're holding up your shorts and undies. :neutral: And my old sports bras weren't supportive enough for cardio.

I will say the mindset has been hard--to buy things in my size instead of too big because I don't necessary see myself the way I am.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I had a few unique and special pieces altered and donated the rest. No safety net for me! I had also saved all my pre-fat clothes, so my shopping was really limited to a few things. I did have to buy new workout clothes. Hard to do intervals on the elliptical if you're holding up your shorts and undies. :neutral: And my old sports bras weren't supportive enough for cardio.

I will say the mindset has been hard--to buy things in my size instead of too big because I don't necessary see myself the way I am.

I hear you. When I do go shopping it's hard to imagine I'm not headed for the plus size section. I look at clothes that are my size now and think they look awfully tiny and tell myself "I'll never fit into that" then try it on and it fits.
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Yes. I've lost 60 and there's no going back. Currently doing recomp the past year. I kept I for a few months, but donated it and started fresh.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Toss them...

I do usually keep one pair of clothes that are a size larger for painting or gardening when I don't want to ruin my good fitting clothes, but other than that the faster you get them out of your house the less likely you will ever need them again...if the clothes that fit you start to get snug, it's time to get back on the wagon and get your behind in gear, not time to put on bigger clothes...but that's just my opinion...