What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• mustacheU2Lift
    mustacheU2Lift Posts: 5,844 Member
    Options
    The grass always looks greener when it’s fake.

:D

I like this
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The Handmaidens Tale, i cant look but I cant look away either!
  • scottkane2
    scottkane2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It is Sunday.... Must we go to work tomorrow??
  • Govenor25
    Govenor25 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wouldn’t it be interesting to see yourself through the eyes of another.

I’d love that. Long as it’s someone who likes me of course!

Haha Ain’t that the truth.

I am off tomorrow, work 24 hours Tuesday then off till next Monday! Yahoo!!

• CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,557 Member
    Options
    The Handmaidens Tale, i cant look but I cant look away either!
    Sorry i haven’t Watched it but the book was rough I just noticed your Thanos and WOOT I love you
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Ok, so who decided years are 365 days and days are 24 hours and that's how we should measure the passing of time?
    I'm sure there is a sciencey thing about rotation and it's got to have something to do with daylight/nighttime but still...why does everyone just accept and go along with it?

*note...I used to make up my own math in school and do make up my own words too...'cause somebody did one day and it caught on, so why not me!

!!My life, My way!!
  • skctilidie
    skctilidie Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Another youth soccer year is done. Hoping most of kid3’s team stays together next year because the parents are the best, but kid4...hmm. He’s been “recruited” by coaches at several clubs, which seems ridiculous since he’s only 7, and I have no idea how to figure out the best direction for him next year. Tryout weekend/time to decide is in less than 3 weeks. I always hate this couple of weeks of uncertainly, but I regretted my choice for him this year so now I really hate it.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Ok, so who decided years are 365 days and days are 24 hours and that's how we should measure the passing of time?
    I'm sure there is a sciencey thing about rotation and it's got to have something to do with daylight/nighttime but still...why does everyone just accept and go along with it?

*note...I used to make up my own math in school and do make up my own words too...'cause somebody did one day and it caught on, so why not me!

!!My life, My way!!

4legs time just hasn't caught on yet :neutral:
  • mustacheU2Lift
    mustacheU2Lift Posts: 5,844 Member
    Options
    And its not always about you
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    My last vacation day in Cali, what to do, what to do?
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Just_J_Now wrote: »

I hope you’re having a great time J.
  • MrSith
    MrSith Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    how some people can turn off their emotions
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Just_J_Now wrote: »

Are you in North or South Cali?
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    MrSith wrote: »
    how some people can turn off their emotions

e2hdpyka79u4.jpg

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »

!!My life, My way!!

Since the establishment of the SI (International System of Units (Système Internationale d’Unités or SI) system in 1967, a second is technically defined in more precise and absolute atomic terms as “the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom”. In 1997, this definition was made even more specific with the stipulation that this refers to a caesium atom at rest at a temperature of 0° Kelvin.

Given that the Earth is very gradually slowing, and the mean solar day on which the original definition of a second was based has not remained the same, its definition is arguably a historical and cultural choice, even an arbitrary one. But at least the atomic definition we now use, whatever its provenance, will always remain constant. All other units of time measurement are now derived from the second. In fact, because we can measure time more accurately than length, even the SI measurement of the metre is defined in terms of the distance travelled by light in 0.000000003335640952 seconds.

Universal Time (UT)
    Universal Time (UT) is based on mean solar time (i.e. based on the rotation of the Earth), and so is the same everywhere on Earth. UT replaced the older telescope-based system Greenwich Mean Time (see below) in 1928 as the worldwide time standard for the setting of Standard Time (also see below), although the older term GMT is still often used informally to refer to UT. The principal form of Universal Time is UT1, which is computed from observations of astronomical phenomena even more precise than measurements of the Sun, including observations of distant stars and quasars, laser ranging of the Moon and artificial satellites, and the determination of GPS satellite orbits, scaled and adjusted slightly to make them closer to solar time. UT2 (rarely used today) is a smoothed version of UT1, which filters out periodic seasonal variations.

TL;DR - Time units weren't decided, they were measured but there are different ways to measure it.

http://www.exactlywhatistime.com/measurement-of-time/units-of-measurement/