Culking Bishes!!! Winter2016 / Spring 2017

Options

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Are you not concerned that with a surplus of that size, you will gain an excessive amount of fat?

I am concerned some. I've wanted to bulk before but was always worried about gaining excessively more fat than muscle so I'll keep adjusting as I go. But so far only gaining 1 lb in 3 weeks, it might not be as much of a surplus as I thought.

Sounds like you underestimated your maintenance. That's a great rate of gain.

• becbo22
    becbo22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I just started my first bulk last week. I'm still on the heavy side (225 at 5'11) but I've lost 77 pounds from my highest (over a period of 3 years) and was having trouble continuing to lose, so i've decided to do a 2 month bulk and put on a little mass to help get my metabolism going again before continuing to lose the last bit. I'm aiming for a 250 calorie surplus per day. My end goal is a strong, muscular body. I have no desire to be super thin. I train 5 days a week: 2 upper body, 2 lower body, and one day of HIIT and abs. Also, I will get to enjoy the holidays without obsessing over deficits! Woohoo! Would love to have friends on here to share this experience with.
  • Maurieawest
    Maurieawest Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Thats a good possibility, TDEE caclulators had me all over the place. And thanks, I'm happy so far.
  • trigden1991
    Options

Thats a good possibility, TDEE caclulators had me all over the place. And thanks, I'm happy so far.

The best way to calculate your average TDEE is to track your calories for a few weeks (the longer time the more accurate), check how much weight you've gained and bingo you can back work to your actual TDEE over that time period. Calculators are very hit or miss!
  • trigden1991
    Options
    becbo22 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I just started my first bulk last week. I'm still on the heavy side (225 at 5'11) but I've lost 77 pounds from my highest (over a period of 3 years) and was having trouble continuing to lose, so i've decided to do a 2 month bulk and put on a little mass to help get my metabolism going again before continuing to lose the last bit. I'm aiming for a 250 calorie surplus per day. My end goal is a strong, muscular body. I have no desire to be super thin. I train 5 days a week: 2 upper body, 2 lower body, and one day of HIIT and abs. Also, I will get to enjoy the holidays without obsessing over deficits! Woohoo! Would love to have friends on here to share this experience with.

Without being too negative, trying to gain muscle when you are overweight/obese is not a good plan especially as a woman. With all conditions being optimal, you could hope to gain 1lb of muscle in a month. When you carry more bodyfat the proportion of fat to muscle gained increases drastically and you are likely to just end up with extra fat to burn.

You would be much better off eating at maintenance or just below and lifting.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I started bulking at the beginning of October. I believe I have gained about 2-3 pounds so far. I am starting to have trouble with consistency. I have been eating 2-3 days in a deficit. A couple of days at maintenance and a couple of days in a surplus.

I have been like this for the last 3 weeks. I really need to work on this. My weight is fluctuating like crazy because of inconsistent eating so it is really hard to track progress.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    I started bulking at the beginning of October. I believe I have gained about 2-3 pounds so far. I am starting to have trouble with consistency. I have been eating 2-3 days in a deficit. A couple of days at maintenance and a couple of days in a surplus.

I have been like this for the last 3 weeks. I really need to work on this. My weight is fluctuating like crazy because of inconsistent eating so it is really hard to track progress.

I bounce up and down as well as my eating tends to fluctuate between being on point or either over/under calories. I've been tracking my weight daily on an app, so although my weight moves between 114 and 117, my average trend is 116. That's what I go by. As long as it keeps moving up overall I figure I'm good.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    bioklutz wrote: »

I bounce up and down as well as my eating tends to fluctuate between being on point or either over/under calories. I've been tracking my weight daily on an app, so although my weight moves between 114 and 117, my average trend is 116. That's what I go by. As long as it keeps moving up overall I figure I'm good.

I use Libra. I have not been able to figure out how many smoothing days to set in order to cancel out crazy fluctuations. I really just need to buckle down and be consistent for a few weeks to see where I am at!
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    The scale put me over 217 lbs this morning so I have gained 11 lbs in the last 11 weeks. Maybe I should decrease my intake a bit since I still have 8 weeks to gain the last 3-5 lbs before my powerlifting meet, depending if I want to compete in the 220 or 242 weight class.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with figuring out TDEE you have to do this by trial and error. I'm 5'6 and 115 lbs and my maintenance TDEE is about 2800, every calculator i used way undershot this, likely because I underestimate my activity level. In order to gain i have to eat >3000 calories, currently I'm having trouble with this, not so much from a food standpoint, really all i need to do is add 1 more TBSP of PB to my toast and 1 more to make shake, it's more a mental struggle. Something about that breaking that 3000 line.
  • Nikkimaxim
    Nikkimaxim Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Whose bulking this year?

I'm enjoying the running chat we have on the "show your best X,Y and Z" lift thread- perhaps a bulking thread for those of us hammering it? I don't want to start new posts all the time- but I enjoy the fat kid club up in this joint.

Feel free to post details- stats, pictures- or air your mental dirty laundry and grievances about bulking!!!

I've gained about 8ish pounds since August 17 of this year. I know some of it is fat, but I've also been lifting for about 5 years off and on so I can definitely tell some is muscle/muscle memory. I lost almost a half an inch on my belt and gained half an inch on both my thighs and hips, where my main focus is. My shoulders have gained back their nice shape again as well.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Nikkimaxim wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Whose bulking this year?

I'm enjoying the running chat we have on the "show your best X,Y and Z" lift thread- perhaps a bulking thread for those of us hammering it? I don't want to start new posts all the time- but I enjoy the fat kid club up in this joint.

Feel free to post details- stats, pictures- or air your mental dirty laundry and grievances about bulking!!!

I've gained about 8ish pounds since August 17 of this year. I know some of it is fat, but I've also been lifting for about 5 years off and on so I can definitely tell some is muscle/muscle memory. I lost almost a half an inch on my belt and gained half an inch on both my thighs and hips, where my main focus is. My shoulders have gained back their nice shape again as well.

Shoulders are my life goal. one day. one day it will happen!!!
  • socially_awkward_and_hungry
    socially_awkward_and_hungry Posts: 42 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hi im bulking too :) 2424 cals, 5'5 and 62kg... any advice on getting all those calories in??
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm bulking. Currently 146 lbs. and heading toward 150-155 lbs. on a lean bulk. End date April/May depending on body fat %. This is my third bulk. First one was 10 lbs. starting about this time last year. It ended early when I broke my ribs in a soccer match. Second one was pretty recent, also ending in a soccer injury, after only a pound or two of gains. One match left in this season.
  • newbie3122
    newbie3122 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Been bulking since Aug 10 @148 lbs. Now 159.2 lbs averagely 1 lb gain per week. End goal is 172 lbs. Let's do this!!!!!!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Hi im bulking too :) 2424 cals, 5'5 and 62kg... any advice on getting all those calories in??

There is no secret to it, just eat more and if you are having problems reaching your goal then eat more calorific foods that pack more calories per gram so you'll feel less full.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    fernt21 wrote: »
    I definitely agree with figuring out TDEE you have to do this by trial and error. I'm 5'6 and 115 lbs and my maintenance TDEE is about 2800, every calculator i used way undershot this, likely because I underestimate my activity level. In order to gain i have to eat >3000 calories, currently I'm having trouble with this, not so much from a food standpoint, really all i need to do is add 1 more TBSP of PB to my toast and 1 more to make shake, it's more a mental struggle. Something about that breaking that 3000 line.

All the calculators I did had me at a little under 1900, but I'm finding 2500 is my sweet spot for an average of a 0.5 gain/week.
  • trigden1991
    Options
    leajas1 wrote: »

All the calculators I did had me at a little under 1900, but I'm finding 2500 is my sweet spot for an average of a 0.5 gain/week.

So maintenance for you is around 2250. Calculators are a good guide but they aren't individualised.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

So maintenance for you is around 2250. Calculators are a good guide but they aren't individualised.

Right. It worked out in my favor this time. The thought of bulking at just 1900 made me sad.
  • trigden1991
    Options

Right. It worked out in my favor this time. The thought of bulking at just 1900 made me sad.

That would be a very depressing thought for a bulk. Are you finding that you are making lean (ish) gains at the moment?