I got called fat today at the gym...

Options
13»

Replies

• Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    The only opinion that matters is yours. If you're looking to please everyone all the time, you're going to become disappointed.
  • UnicornAmandaPanda
    UnicornAmandaPanda Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! Im so sorry that happened to you. similar things have happened to me and it is so embarrassing. :( but they should be the embarrassed one because how immature is that to yell something at a stranger like that, unbelievable! And hello way to insult somebody who is at the gym to work on their health and fitness lol. So ridiculous. Cheer up, and hit that gym again tomorrow!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    So what?

Opinions are like...errr, well, you know the saying. You don't have to take any notice of them.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    It isn't just this that you'll be dealing with in life. You'll confront many situations that will have to do with how you're viewed from many people. Best thing you can do IMO is schluff it off. It does you no good to worry about how people view you. It's how you view you that's the most important.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for all the support and awesome comments. So much positivity is beautiful! Please know that each and everyone of you has helped me in your very own way. Im very thankful! Im going to go back to the gym today and be motivated more then ever!

Shake it off, put the idiot on ignore and press on.

I do have to admit the insensitivity of some people just boggles the mind, but you don't have to let it slow you down. As others here have already said, be strong and keep on truckin - you can do this.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    "It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters." - Epictetus

"You either get bitter or you get better. It’s that simple. You either take what has been dealt to you and allow it to make you a better person, or you allow it to tear you down. The choice does not belong to fate, it belongs to you." ~ Josh Shipp

Stuff will always happen to you. People will often say dumb things to you (no matter if you are overweight or thin, out of shape or fit, plain or a beauty queen)...somehow there is always someone who will have something stupid to say.

The situation itself doesn't define you. It's what you do with it that will determine the true outcome from the situation. You can't control others or when things happen to you...but your reaction to the situation is in your control. React with greatness, and you will be great. React with determination, and you will reach your goals.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for being so kind! It definitely was an eye opener for sure.. this guy pulled up behind my car and rolled down his window just to yell that at me.. i just didn't think people like this still existed.. i seer it in the movies all the time.. or just hear about it.. it was very puzzling and i kind of froze at that moment.. thank you all again.. im going to use everyone's advice and use this as motivation not a break down.. i didnt eat my feeling this time .. Thank you again ❤

Maybe he has Tourette's or a traumatic brain injury. Maybe he meant it with a PH and not a F. Not making excuses for him, but shrug it off and keep going. Too many jerks in this world to rationalize all of them. Make progress to prove the naysayers wrong.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I can only hope that you overheard two friends giving each other a hard time and joking. If it was directed at anyone else then those individuals need a reality check and need to graduate out of the first grade. That is wrong on so many levels, you are better than they are so don't let them hold you back.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    PennWalker wrote: »
    Thank you all for being so kind! It definitely was an eye opener for sure.. this guy pulled up behind my car and rolled down his window just to yell that at me.. i just didn't think people like this still existed.. i seer it in the movies all the time.. or just hear about it.. it was very puzzling and i kind of froze at that moment.. thank you all again.. im going to use everyone's advice and use this as motivation not a break down.. i didnt eat my feeling this time .. Thank you again ❤

Don't be puzzled. The guy might have a crush on you. Maybe he think's you're pretty and was trying to tease you and stepped in it. That's the only reason that makes sense to me.

I would tend to agree with this. He had no other way or words to tell you what he thought so all he knew to do was to pull your pigtails call you fat. That doesn't make what he said feel any better, just know that it's totally on him and not on you. It's his shortfalls, not yours, that caused him to act that way.

Also, someday in the future, you'll totally be able to kick his *kitten*. So there's that.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    The same person that's calling you fat will be the same person calling you beautiful once you reach your goal. Ignore the negativity sweetie.

Wtf? So revenge for being insulted by a sexist asshat is being considered attractive by the same asshat when you lose weight? No.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I know that men and women are different. My son is fat and trying to lose. He always hears comments...some are blatant some are more subtle. He does not tolerate it and usually throws it back on them and because of his huge vocabulary they dont even know what he said. I will tell you what I tell him, do it for you and *kitten* them.
  • Wiggymommy
    Wiggymommy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Those who are saying this is unusual have seriously been living in a bubble. No you probably didn't hear wrong but this guys is NOBODY to you. His opinion of you does not matter and will never matter! You could be perfect and someone somewhere will have an issue with you. Shake it off! I would have stuck my bum out at him and told him to kiss my fat as*
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Report that Asshat to management. You are paying to use that gym and have the right not to be harassed. He is most likely doing that to others too. Take a stand.