Vegetarian/Vegan Thanksgiving Plans

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Also, I think a lot of people don't realize how many animal products make their way into things like boxed stuffing.

If you're using boxed stuffing, you're doing it wrong...very wrong.

I don't use boxed stuffing (see above, where I outlined a very nice stuffing recipe in my menu), but many people do and I don't judge them for it - some people have busy lives and if you want to use boxed stuffing go for it; in fact, my mom prefers boxed stuffing, I made a giant homemade one and she brought over 4 boxes of stovetop for herself. Different strokes for different folks. I was just saying not everyone realizes that most of them are not vegetarian.

I was using the royal "you"...not specifically you personally. I just don't know how people actually eat that *kitten*...or instant mashed potatoes...or canned cranberry gelatin whatever that thing is...or marshmallows in sweet potatoes...

gag.gif

I readily admit that I'm a total food snob though, which is probably one of the reasons I rock the kitchen...

giphy.gif

I love love cranberries but can't eat cranberry sauce anymore (I can't eat skins and seeds because of Crohn's) so I personally eat cranberry jelly just to get a bit of a taste.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    Also, I think a lot of people don't realize how many animal products make their way into things like boxed stuffing.

I don't use boxed stuffing (see above, where I outlined a very nice stuffing recipe in my menu), but many people do and I don't judge them for it - some people have busy lives and if you want to use boxed stuffing go for it; in fact, my mom prefers boxed stuffing, I made a giant homemade one and she brought over 4 boxes of stovetop for herself. Different strokes for different folks. I was just saying not everyone realizes that most of them are not vegetarian.

I was using the royal "you"...not specifically you personally. I just don't know how people actually eat that *kitten*...or instant mashed potatoes...or canned cranberry gelatin whatever that thing is...or marshmallows in sweet potatoes...

gag.gif

I readily admit that I'm a total food snob though, which is probably one of the reasons I rock the kitchen...

giphy.gif

oh maaan i love marshmallows on sweet potatoes. I mash sweet potatoes then make a brown sugar whiskey sauce and pour it over the sweet potatos and pecans and top with marshmallows ugh its one of my faves.

There vegetarian marshmallows. :)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I love the sides: potatoes, green beans, broccoli, stuffing with cranberry, sweet potato ...I could totally do a vegetarian dinner (even vegan) if prepared right.
  • ChicagoVeggie
    ChicagoVeggie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I finally found a vegetarian marshallow brand that has the taste/texture of the real thing, so I highly suggest Trader Joe's marshmallows for all you sweet potato and hot chocolate needs.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    We've made a nut loaf for any number of holidays. Many good recipes
    online.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

gag.gif

giphy.gif

oh maaan i love marshmallows on sweet potatoes. I mash sweet potatoes then make a brown sugar whiskey sauce and pour it over the sweet potatos and pecans and top with marshmallows ugh its one of my faves.

There vegetarian marshmallows. :)

yup! everything will be vegetarian except for the turkey and im making seperate gravy and stuffing. im the only vegetarian! We have 3 raw vegans but they are bringing their own stuff.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    http://www.sporkful.com/veggieducken-recipe-photos-slide-show/

This was discussed on their podcast a few days ago. Sounds pretty interesting.
  • maemommy813
    maemommy813 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So what your plans if your veg? I have three thanksgivings I have to go to. I already did one, was pretty hungry and I did not like my tiny gardein loaf. I'll make a tofurky at my parent's thanksgiving which I like better. But I still have a work one I have to go to and have to bring something, ugh I hate making a meal out of sides. Anyone else feel the pain or do you get alot of comments about not eating turkey and ham at thanksgiving? Or people just say 'eat the sides'. Do you have any go-to sides you make that are veg and more 'mealy'?

Also have you hosted a thanksgiving meal without meat? I might have to next year. Personally, I do not cook meat and thanksgiving will not be an exception. I was thinking about maybe doing a non-traditional meal like doing a mexican meal of enchiladas and sides.

I like your idea of doing a nontraditional meal! That's what I'm planning for Christmas. I'm going to thanksgiving dinner at a relative's house and decided to make myself a tofurkey. I'm bringing vegetarian dressing and green beans, and the corn pudding my cousin is making is vegetarian.

You could always do something like a portobello shepherd's pie or a mushroom Wellington in lieu of a turkey. IMHO all the turkeys raised and fattened for a single day are such a waste on environmental resources. Imagine all the hungry families who could eat the corn and grain fed to turkeys!
  • littlechiaseed
    Options
    I have another christmas to go to too, not sure what they are doing but if it's traditional same thanksgiving junk I will bring a small celebration field roast.
  • badgerface1k
    badgerface1k Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    So what your plans if your veg? I have three thanksgivings I have to go to. I already did one, was pretty hungry and I did not like my tiny gardein loaf. I'll make a tofurky at my parent's thanksgiving which I like better. But I still have a work one I have to go to and have to bring something, ugh I hate making a meal out of sides. Anyone else feel the pain or do you get alot of comments about not eating turkey and ham at thanksgiving? Or people just say 'eat the sides'. Do you have any go-to sides you make that are veg and more 'mealy'?

Also have you hosted a thanksgiving meal without meat? I might have to next year. Personally, I do not cook meat and thanksgiving will not be an exception. I was thinking about maybe doing a non-traditional meal like doing a mexican meal of enchiladas and sides.
    My thoughtful sister is making me ravioli w/o meat and I will eat sides and desert

• SaraMA1
    SaraMA1 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan also, this will be my first Thanksgiving NOT eating meat, as i have transitioned to a plant based diet this year...
    I am looking forward to making a few sides to bring to share, but so that I mainly have something to eat. This recipe sounds delish! Any other ideas you guys can share would be great, the healthier the better!

Steel Cut Oat Stuffing with Mushrooms and Fried Sage
    http://www.fooduzzi.com/2016/11/steel-cut-oat-stuffing-with-mushrooms-and-fried-sage/
  • littlechiaseed
    Options
    Why is everyone big on mushrooms? lol :( The one mushroom I liked I swell up from, maybe it was a fluke and I can try again.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

gag.gif

giphy.gif

I love love cranberries but can't eat cranberry sauce anymore (I can't eat skins and seeds because of Crohn's) so I personally eat cranberry jelly just to get a bit of a taste.

I can't get over the way it jiggles...it's just so friggin' weird.

p6S5F3f.gif
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    http://www.ellentv.com/recipes/2010/11/19/turkey-roast/

I've made the above recipe for a homemade seitan roast for probably 5-6 years now, and it's fantastic. Even the meat-eaters enjoy it.

As far as side dishes go, I just make traditional sides with vegan ingredients (Earth Balance in lieu of butter, ener-g in lieu of eggs, veg stock in lieu of chick stock, etc.). The only thing that I don't make vegan is this pecan and marshmallow sweet potato casserole. I hate sweet potatoes but my husband loves this ghastly dish...so I'm not going to waste money on vegan marshmallows when regular ones suit this just fine.
  • HeyShaunie
    HeyShaunie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm slowly transitioning to a vegetarian diet, so thank you all for all of the vegetarian thanksgiving ideas.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

gag.gif

giphy.gif

I can't get over the way it jiggles...it's just so friggin' weird.

p6S5F3f.gif

It is weird but the consequences of eating homemade cranberry sauce outweigh the weirdness lol
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone big on mushrooms? lol :( The one mushroom I liked I swell up from, maybe it was a fluke and I can try again.

Because Mushrooms have a flavor-in-common with meats, umami. If I'm making vegetable stock, dry shitake mushrooms make it taste a hundred times better.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Because they're delicious and have a nice chew. I'm sorry you have a bad reaction.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options

yea pretty common for the vegetarian and vegan community to use mushrooms to get the umami (meaty) flavor.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I have a beautiful orange kabocha squash which just fits into the slow cooker, which I intend to stuff with a bunch of grains, nuts, dried fruit, spices, herbs, veggies and then cook very slowly for about 7 hours. DH and I were both brought up in the UK so stuffing means sausage meat not the bread-based US ones. So, we're making spicy falafel instead. Got two turkey legs for those that want the meat since it's more tasty. The rest will just be a mound of roasted veggies - parsnips, potatoes (DH hates the texture of mashed), sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts (with chestnuts and rosemary), spicy cornbread, mushroom gravy, cranberry sauce (made with copious amounts of port) and anything else I can find in the fridge. Dessert will be a deep fruit tart with a walnut topping. I'm not a fan of pumpkin pie and a neighbor always brings one around.

But the stuffed pumpkin will be the star this year.