Thoughts on sugar?

Options
124»

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Sugar and fat both have lots of calories and can cause weight gain if not moderated. All that is necessary for weight loss is a calorie deficit.

Sugar has the same amount of calories as protein and fat has more than carbs and protein
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Sugar and fat both have lots of calories and can cause weight gain if not moderated. All that is necessary for weight loss is a calorie deficit.

Sugar has the same amount of calories as protein and fat has more than carbs and protein

Correct, good catch. Carbs (of which sugar is a subset) and protein have 4 cal/gram, fat has 9 cal/gram.
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    I like sugar.

Oh, apparently fruit is magical because fibre cancels out the "evilness" of sugar.
    giphy.gif

I don't think anyone was saying sugar is evil :)

No food is inherently "good" or "bad". Applying human morals to food is pointless and can lead to disordered eating.

I just prefer to focus on the positives of food (yes, like fibre and nutrients) instead of the parts of food that many people consider negatives! :)

I don't consider sugar in fruit a negative. That seems like a problematic way of thinking about it. The sweetness is part of why fruit tastes good (the sugar in vegetables and foods like sweet potatoes contributes positively to their taste as well, IMO). The sugar in an apple pie also makes it taste good (IMO), as does the butter and so on, but because it has a lot of calories I will consume less of it or less often. I am also not offended if someone else would rather not spend calories on apple pie.

I agree, that's why I mentioned that many people do consider it a negative instead of saying that I personally considered it a negative. I personally love how fruit tastes, and I know it wouldn't taste as good without the sugar :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I think sugar has been seriously demonized. I get that it's not a brussels sprout but it's not the devil either. :) IMO.

Brussels sprouts are the devil. :angry:

lwa2r0407o2q.jpg

I should do this to my nieces and nephew at Christmas. Best. Aunt. Ever!
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It's tasty! I cut most of it out because of the empty calories, but enjoy sweet things when I feel they are worth it.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I argued with some guy last night because he said sugar caused diabetes,obesity, it slows your metabolism down,causes lessened cognitive thinking,made your liver work less effectively,it causes thyroid issues and is more addictive than marijuana lol. I told him he was full of it and what the real causes of these things were. you would not believe what some people think about certain foods thats simply untrue
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Any food can contribute to weight gain (or loss, or maintenance), not just foods with sugar and fat.

You are correct on the calorie deficit part for weight loss. :)
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I think sugar has been seriously demonized. I get that it's not a brussels sprout but it's not the devil either. :) IMO.

You can send yours my way, I LOVE a sprout.

Happily! You can have all the sprouts. An unrelated story as to my dislike for them but: a friend of mine once told his sister that they were baby cabbage patch kids and every time she ate one, a cabbage patch kid died. She never ate them again.

Awww... The Brussel Sprouts do look like cute baby cabbages.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

You can send yours my way, I LOVE a sprout.

Happily! You can have all the sprouts. An unrelated story as to my dislike for them but: a friend of mine once told his sister that they were baby cabbage patch kids and every time she ate one, a cabbage patch kid died. She never ate them again.

This is hilarious, but I still love them. When I was a kid we only ever had them on Thanksgiving (my mother hates them, my grandmother made them), and they were prepared with bacon and even for me as a kid oh so good. I thought they were cute too (and I always liked cabbage anyway). Now I think of bacon as the gateway drug for brussels sprouts.

My grandma kept a coffee can of bacon grease next to the stove and cooked with it.

Mom cooked brussel sprouts, mashed them and sprinkled vinegar, salt and pepper on them.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

lwa2r0407o2q.jpg

You want to go to hell, get resurrected and then sent back again...? Coat the Brussels sprouts in chocolate and roll in hazelnut pieces before wrapping them up. :astonished::wink:

Oooh....burn!! :laugh: