Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can Negative Thinking Make You Sick?

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    This is probably a coincidence... But my dads uncle died at the age of 45 (lung cancer), and at the funeral he told my mum that he probably wouldn't live much longer than that, 20 years later at the age of 47 my dad passed away (skin cancer). It's been 30 years since his death and my mum still thinks his negative thinking brought on his death..
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I think negative attracts negative and positive attracts positive..

Glass half full or glass half empty...i learned this from a mentor I had a while go..it was pointed out that i was severely living "glass half empty".. took many years to correct that.

^^^ This all day long. I can't be doing the negative vibe. I truly believe you have two choices each day when you get up. And that's be happy or be sad... I go for happy every single time.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
  • Jeannie3099
    Jeannie3099 Posts: 61 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Negative thinking, stress, poor self esteem is very damaging to ones health. We need to sort out what is negative and what is positive in our lives. Unless we do, the negatives will eventually be our undoing. Unless we can see clearly what is negative how can we fight or strive for our lives to be positive??
    Not the case concerning waterfalls. Negative ions produced by flowing water produces positive feelings in humans and animals. FYI.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I dont know if this relevant to this discussion... But my uncle recently went into surgery to have his little toe removed (diabetes), he was fine with that. They ended up removing his whole leg, so he woke up from surgery expecting to be missing a toe, but instead his whole leg was gone.
    He said he didn't want to live like that.. Long story short, a couple weeks later he had a stroke, a week after that he died. So he got his wish and never made it out of the hospital. Did he negative think his way into death? i'd say yes, as he totally gave up the fight.

I had cousin that willed himself dead in a few days after being told he had lung cancer. I talked to the doctor before visiting him in the hospital. The doctor said while he had lung cancer that he was not near death by any means. When I visited my cousin later that day and he said, Gale I am a goner. My sister called a couple days to tell me our cousin was death.

In the case of the post about your father's death at the age of 47 as he predicted 20 years earlier drives home how our life can be greatly impacted by our state of mind (epigenetics?) more than most any other factor. This is one reason I have a stated goal to live to be 110 and walking and talking the entire way. I have had to completely rethink my eating and living lifestyles to make that goal even remotely realistic. Now at 65 my health markers are better than when I was 45.

Where I die today or 45 years from now my quality of life has already improved as well as those that have to be around me at home or work. :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yeah that comment my dad made is always in the back of my mind. My husband always says this or that is gonna get him, or he probably wont live past a certain age. It drives me nuts, and he gets a head slap every time he says it! :rage:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    I believe if anyone thinks negatively about trying to achieve anything, they'll likely fail. What I find with most people who are negative is usually they never meet their expectations or don't want others to. No place for them in my life. I'm a realist, so I know my limitations, but I as an optimist I also know there's a lot I can do if I personally put my mind to it. Especially if it's something I really want.
    As for negative thinking making one ill, hell if one keeps claiming they're always sick, IMO they will be sick. If they are always filled with dread, then they will never be happy. And as mentioned, it's stress so it compromises the immunity system if done enough.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    Things just are. No need to put a positive or negative stamp on them with the mind.
    Lol, so a birthday party just is. No need to be happy or upbeat about it. And a loss of a love one shouldn't have a negative vibe at all. Okay.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Yeah that comment my dad made is always in the back of my mind. My husband always says this or that is gonna get him, or he probably wont live past a certain age. It drives me nuts, and he gets a head slap every time he says it! :rage:

Here is a link were 6 people predicted the time of their death.

cracked.com/article_20350_6-famous-people-who-eerily-predicted-their-own-deaths.html

On a side note I had one living grandparent when I was born. About age four I can remember him crying every Christmas and stating this may be the last Christmas that he lives to see. He lived another 28 years and died at the age of 86. He and my step grandmother did not get along so he may have help living to give her hell. :)

I do think we have to have a conscious or at least an unconscious reason to keep alive.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The mind is a powerful thing. Negative thinking, cluttered, depressing and unkempt environments, toxic people, situations and relationships...all can wear you down and make you sick.

Several years ago I was trapped in a cycle of negativity in a toxic, super stressful job. It was slowly killing me, and when I started rapidly deteriorating both emotionally and physically because of it, I abandoned ship and left all that crap behind and began actively seeking goodness instead.

I'm much healthier and happier now. MY key to happiness is choosing to maximize positive attitudes, experiences and relationships and minimize negative ones, and then practicing gratitude for all my blessings. You can't be happy unless you have the ability to appreciate the good in your life. Cultivating a positive attitude is a skill that takes daily practice, builds with time, and eventually becomes a habit! It's life-changing and the best gift you can give yourself! :D<3B)
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Gamliela wrote: »
    Things just are. No need to put a positive or negative stamp on them with the mind.

So are you saying that we should not view anything in life as positive or negative...only neutral?
    As Gamliela said, things simply are. It's our own perceptions that label things as good or bad.

For example, the house at the end of the block catches fire and burns to the ground. A casual passer by might say, thats awful somebody's house burned down". The neighbors might say, "Thank God that vacant rat infested drug house burned down". Which impression is correct?

If you get laid off your job, that's labeled as bad. If you end up getting a better paying job that you enjoy that's a good thing. Was getting laid off (a perceived bad thing) actually the best thing that could have happened in retrospect?

A house burned down. A job was lost. These things happened. They are neither good nor bad.

In my view the notion of negative visualization falls apart when dealing with larger issues. The loss of a loved one cannot be easily dismissed with "things simply are".

Apologies to Gamliela for stepping in. Hopefully you won't perceive it as a bad thing.

You misquoted. I didn't say "things simply are".

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I should have written, "Things just are". Apologies for paraphrasing.

• KiwiLifter
    KiwiLifter Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I believe in this for sure. I think the psychological is inextricably tied to the physiological.
  • studiog608
    studiog608 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When I took the ACSM test for my personal training certification, I told myself I was going to fail the test as I was walking in to take it. Nice pep talk. Turns out, I scored a 704 out of 800. Passed beyond my expectations an a truly very difficult exam.
    So, I don't know how bad negative thinking is, but I do try to limit it. I don't know if it can cause diseases but mom thinks it can. She is now a Joel Osteen's follower and swears positive thinking has changed her life.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    Stress can make you sick. Whether you're "positive" about the stress or not.

Pessimism does not equal stress. And optimism does not equal a lack of stress. These things are not mutually exclusive. And let's not confuse pessimism with depression (depression is an actual mental illness; not all pessimists are depressed, tho depression does seem to cause a pessimistic attitude).

Yes, taking care of yourself (eating nutritious foods, staying a healthy weight, staying active, not smoking, not drinking excessively, keeping UTD on doc appts, vax, preventative screenings, wearing a seat belt, etc), can help prevent illness and/or injury, which can help you live longer. Simply "thinking positive"? I'm not convinced.

Useful distinctions! (And I'm unconvinced, right there with you. Well, actually, maybe more like "actively hostile" than "unconvinced", in my case. ;) ).
  • EternalSonataFan
    EternalSonataFan Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have generalized anxiety disorder (among other diagnoses), and I have literally worried myself sick (to the point of vomiting) because of a math final in college. I think that stress and worries add to the effects of already-existing conditions, such as hypertension or anxiety disorders.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I have generalized anxiety disorder (among other diagnoses), and I have literally worried myself sick (to the point of vomiting) because of a math final in college. I think that stress and worries add to the effects of already-existing conditions, such as hypertension or anxiety disorders.

I watched a woman go from stable to circling the drain for no other reason than stressing herself nearly to death. She was in a vehicle accident, but fine - we were only transiting for full evaluation as toxic materials were present. The attending physician looked like the woman's mother (who we later discovered was abusive) and our patient nearly died. BP & pulse spike, atrial fibrillation began on sight simply because of the intense emotional reaction.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I don't believe our thoughts or intentions have a magical effect (on ourselves or the world around us), no.

I do think mental stress can cause some physical reactions, though it's more likely to be physical stress that does so. I also think a severely negative outlook influences self-care behaviors, productivity and perception at work, etc., and thus can indirectly lead to negative consequences. Neither of these means attitude alone causes poor health or bad luck, and I'm frequently irritated by people who believe just "thinking positive" is a solution to real problems.