Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can Negative Thinking Make You Sick?

Options

Replies

• SeagalDeeDee
    SeagalDeeDee Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    A great topic & thanks for every post. This speaks to me.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    avskk wrote: »
    I don't believe our thoughts or intentions have a magical effect (on ourselves or the world around us), no.
    For years no one could do a mile under 4 minutes............till Roger Bannister did it. After that, the record kept getting broken time after time. What changed? The belief that it could be done. That's how records get broken.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yes. And that belief led to actions -- people trained harder or better, people chose not to give up when the process became grueling. Runners were able to learn from Bannister's experience and adjust their own training. Runners who may not even have tried to run a 4-minute mile decided to try once they knew it was possible. Etc. Similarly, there are millions of runners in the world for whom a 4-minute mile will never be possible, no matter how much they believe in it or in their own potential!

Belief alone is just belief. Thought alone is just thought. Thoughts aren't magic; nothing (external) happens by pure thought.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I don't believe our thoughts or intentions have a magical effect (on ourselves or the world around us), no.
    For years no one could do a mile under 4 minutes............till Roger Bannister did it. After that, the record kept getting broken time after time. What changed? The belief that it could be done. That's how records get broken.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yes. And that belief led to actions -- people trained harder or better, people chose not to give up when the process became grueling. Runners were able to learn from Bannister's experience and adjust their own training. Runners who may not even have tried to run a 4-minute mile decided to try once they knew it was possible. Etc. Similarly, there are millions of runners in the world for whom a 4-minute mile will never be possible, no matter how much they believe in it or in their own potential!

Belief alone is just belief. Thought alone is just thought. Thoughts aren't magic; nothing (external) happens by pure thought.
    The topic isn't about external events though. Sickness and stress are internal.

http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/stress.aspx
    Chronic stress
    When stress starts interfering with your ability to live a normal life for an extended period, it becomes even more dangerous. The longer the stress lasts, the worse it is for both your mind and body. You might feel fatigued, unable to concentrate or irritable for no good reason, for example. But chronic stress causes wear and tear on your body, too.
    Stress can make existing problems worse.2 In one study, for example, about half the participants saw improvements in chronic headaches after learning how to stop the stress-producing habit of “catastrophizing,” or constantly thinking negative thoughts about their pain.3 Chronic stress may also cause disease, either because of changes in your body or the overeating, smoking and other bad habits people use to cope with stress. Job strain — high demands coupled with low decision-making latitude — is associated with increased risk of coronary disease, for example.4 Other forms of chronic stress, such as depression and low levels of social support, have also been implicated in increased cardiovascular risk. And once you're sick, stress can also make it harder to recover. One analysis of past studies, for instance, suggests that cardiac patients with so-called “Type D” personalities — characterized by chronic distress — face higher risks of bad outcomes.5

Regarding correlation between stress and negative or positive thinking:
    http://education.jhu.edu/PD/newhorizons/strategies/topics/Keeping Fit for Learning/stress.html
    The Negative Consequences of Stress

Stress is neutral – it is a person's perception of the event that determines their response.

Stress is positive when the person feels stimulated and able to manage the situation. This positive response prepares the body for action and activates the higher thinking centers of the brain. A positive response to stress can provide the energy to handle emergencies, meet challenges, and excel.

Stress is negative when a person feels threatened and not in control of the situation. These feelings instigate a powerful reaction – affecting both the brain and body in ways that can be destructive to physical and mental health.

Due respect, I don't see anything "magical" about it.
  • avskk
    Options
    The question asked was "can negative thinking make you sick," not "can negative thinking stress you out," and as a corollary response a lot of people were talking about how "positivity" causes all sorts of wondrous real-life things (such as running a 4-minute mile). My response(s) addressed the original question and the later discussion, and in fact I discussed the stress effect in my first post to the thread.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    The question asked was "can negative thinking make you sick," not "can negative thinking stress you out," and as a corollary response a lot of people were talking about how "positivity" causes all sorts of wondrous real-life things (such as running a 4-minute mile). My response(s) addressed the original question and the later discussion, and in fact I discussed the stress effect in my first post to the thread.

I saw that, and don't disagree with you :)

It was the comment about magic, and the notion that stress can occur without thought that's implied in your comment. I would dare say that if I could stop or more tightly control *all of my thought processes, I could alleviate, or even avoid the vast majority of stress.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Absolutely it can. Where the mind goes the body will follow. Emotions can affect the body in many ways also. Our thoughts and emotions can really go hand in hand. Just ask someone who has a problem with anxiety or panic. When I feel myself spiraling out of control I post on my news feed and one of my wonderful friends is always there to speak some sense back into me.
  • avskk
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

It was the comment about magic, and the notion that stress can occur without thought that's implied in your comment. I would dare say that if I could stop or more tightly control *all of my thought processes, I could alleviate, or even avoid the vast majority of stress.

I think the part I bolded is where we really differ! I absolutely think stress can occur without thought. Loved ones die, jobs disappear, car accidents happen, politics... are politics, money gets tight, kids misbehave, colleagues and bosses are jerks, germs wreak havoc, and on and on and on and on. All of these things are stressors. None of these things are caused by our thoughts. (Of course, there are grey areas where our thoughts lead to actions which can contribute to things like the loss of a job, but what I mean here is our thoughts alone do not always cause such things.)

Now, can negative thoughts about stressors exacerbate the stress they cause? Of course. Definitely. But negative thoughts did not cause the stressors, because -- again -- thoughts are just thoughts. They don't somehow make these things happen in the real world.

I also think it's important to note that a person can experience stress without being "negative." The loss of a parent or spouse is devastating, and facing it realistically causes enormous stress. That isn't "being negative," though; it's simply an honest reaction to a stressful event. We experience all kinds of strife as we live our lives, and the stress of it can make us sick even if we aren't "negative." This is another way to see that negativity alone does not cause illness, etc. Stress may contribute to it, but stress and negativity are not as synonymous as practitioners of The Secret would have you believe.
  • Cylphin60
    Options

I think the part I bolded is where we really differ! I absolutely think stress can occur without thought. Loved ones die, jobs disappear, car accidents happen, politics... are politics, money gets tight, kids misbehave, colleagues and bosses are jerks, germs wreak havoc, and on and on and on and on. All of these things are stressors. None of these things are caused by our thoughts. (Of course, there are grey areas where our thoughts lead to actions which can contribute to things like the loss of a job, but what I mean here is our thoughts alone do not always cause such things.)

Now, can negative thoughts about stressors exacerbate the stress they cause? Of course. Definitely. But negative thoughts did not cause the stressors, because -- again -- thoughts are just thoughts. They don't somehow make these things happen in the real world.
    Ah ok, thanks for clarifying that! I admit I wasn't quite certain where you were coming from, so I tried to step gently :) I agree of course, and if I implied that I thought otherwise I apologize - not my intent at all.
    I also think it's important to note that a person can experience stress without being "negative." The loss of a parent or spouse is devastating, and facing it realistically causes enormous stress. That isn't "being negative," though; it's simply an honest reaction to a stressful event. We experience all kinds of strife as we live our lives, and the stress of it can make us sick even if we aren't "negative." This is another way to see that negativity alone does not cause illness, etc. Stress may contribute to it, but stress and negativity are not as synonymous as practitioners of The Secret would have you believe.
    I don't think we're that far apart here, we're just expressing our thoughts differently, and I'll own that. I'm aware I can be a bit less than clear sometimes lol.

During much of my training in, and after the military, stress was touted as a desirable asset in that it prompts a higher level of response than what our default reaction to a situation may be, and I've personally found that to be true.

Where the negativity fits in for me are those people who are of a mindset that everything is negative, and therefore stress inducing, if that makes sense.

I see this topic though, as being about those who are perpetually negative or stressed for no apparent reason, the debbie downers of the world, so to speak.

I hope that clarifies a bit where my focus is.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

I agree with the bolded. I experienced the death of my husband by an unnecessary event. I wasn't negative (I worked hard to stay positive) but for months I was stressed which led to stress over the course of several years trying to deal with the emotional aspect not only for me but my children.

That stress led to a normally healthy person to one that every I turned around some new health problem flared up.

There is another aspect of stress...being under stress over time can lead to a lifestyle that lends itself to becoming unhealthy. I will be honest...the stress in my life led to me not caring about myself or my health. I will also admit...trying to stay positive also added to the stress. I wonder looking back if I would have been better off allowing myself to experience the negativity.

So how one deals with stress can play a significant part on how stress affects our health.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

How do you know they trained harder? Self doubt in people happen all the time. I can't count how many times I've worked with clients who would NEVER attempt a weight or exercise until I gave them the confidence mentally that they could. And that's all they needed to do it.
    And without thought, action doesn't happen. I see what you're alluding to, but negatively thinking one cannot do something DOES make a difference versus if they believe they can.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Actually all actions by humans first are thoughts.
  • paperbeagle
    paperbeagle Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Grey_1 wrote: »
    Title from the article:
    http://news.health.com/2015/06/26/can-negative-thinking-make-you-sick/

So cynics take heart—you have control over your attitude (and your well-being). As Simon-Thomas put it: “We can be deliberate about shifting our habits of feeling and thinking in the world.”

I dunno - worth discussing good people of Myfitnesspal? :)[/quote]

I see your intent with this and in many ways you are right... but it is not quite right. It is true that your psyche affects your physical health but it's not quite so black and white. I 7 am all for offering self help to those seeking a more positive path. I do believe it opens your eyes to more beauty and life's doors to you... but...

...positive thinking isn't a cure all or protective bubble like many think. ... it help it can't protect you from bad luck, random chance or genetic illness. I do better bc i have a good attitude but I didnt get my problems from a bad attitude. I have a rare disorder and was in an atv accident. I am constantly having surgeries or injections... without pain meds i don't know how i would cope. I personally can tell people that a good attitude is a valuable tool that brightens your days and lets you get more out of life. 100% BUT not being positive in and of itself does not keep you from getting sick nor is it solely responsible for illness or other misfortune. There is a danger of falsely believing people are protected by good perspectives and people who are unwell somehow bringing it on themselves.

Change your mindset if you want to experience life differently... not to solely to protect yourself from things you hope to control but cant.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    Title from the article:
    http://news.health.com/2015/06/26/can-negative-thinking-make-you-sick/

So cynics take heart—you have control over your attitude (and your well-being). As Simon-Thomas put it: “We can be deliberate about shifting our habits of feeling and thinking in the world.”

I dunno - worth discussing good people of Myfitnesspal? :)

I see your intent with this and in many ways you are right... but it is not quite right. It is true that your psyche affects your physical health but it's not quite so black and white. I 7 am all for offering self help to those seeking a more positive path. I do believe it opens your eyes to more beauty and life's doors to you... but...

...positive thinking isn't a cure all or protective bubble like many think. ... it help it can't protect you from bad luck, random chance or genetic illness. I do better bc i have a good attitude but I didnt get my problems from a bad attitude. I have a rare disorder and was in an atv accident. I am constantly having surgeries or injections... without pain meds i don't know how i would cope. I personally can tell people that a good attitude is a valuable tool that brightens your days and lets you get more out of life. 100% BUT not being positive in and of itself does not keep you from getting sick nor is it solely responsible for illness or other misfortune. There is a danger of falsely believing people are protected by good perspectives and people who are unwell somehow bringing it on themselves.

Change your mindset if you want to experience life differently... not to solely to protect yourself from things you hope to control but cant.
    [/quote]

Spot on, and well said.
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Stress can cause physical symptoms - absolutely. I've been there many times.
    Stress is not only caused by negative thinking, though. As a previous poster pointed out, major positive events can cause stress too.

Researchers have long noted that clinical depression mimics physical illness - you become withdrawn, you want to stay in bed, you may be in pain, etc. That doesn't mean that depression causes actual illness, it mimics illness. One underlying cause of the symptoms of both physical illness and depression is inflammation. https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2015/03/how-strong-is-the-link-between-inflammation-and-depression/

Also, people who have been clinically depressed have shrinkage in the hippocampus in their brain. It actually becomes smaller. This can impact brain function. http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/07/10/study-finds-link-with-prolonged-depression-and-brain-shrinkage
  • mattreadfx
    mattreadfx Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    most definately
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Isn't rather natural to be struggling a bit as a result of an illness? I certainly hope you get well fast zcb94.

Yes it totally is. I have severe fistulizing crohn's disease and I went through the grieving process. Add in the fact that there is tons of shame and stigma with my disease it's quite easy to get depressed about it but I try to be as positive as poss

I totally get this. I also suffer from a similar gut condition and a big part of it is coming to terms with the loss of my old self.
    My concern about the negative thinking makes you sick thing is, it can lead to sick people feeling blamed as if it's somehow their fault they became ill. I get this a lot- told to stay positive and keep fighting etc but,while my condition is often made worse by stress,stress has not caused it (at least I believe there is no causal link)
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/mindfulness-meditation-slows-progression-53819
    Creswell and his colleagues ran an eight-week mindfulness-based stress-reduction (MBSR) meditation program and compared it to a one-day MBSR control seminar, using a stressed and ethnically diverse sample of 48 HIV-positive adults in Los Angeles. Participants in the eight-week group showed no loss of CD4 T cells, indicating that mindfulness meditation training can buffer declines. In contrast, the control group showed significant declines in CD4 T cells from pre-study to post-study. Such declines are a characteristic hallmark of HIV progression.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I agree that stress can cause negative health effects, but I wouldn't assume that pessimism equals more stress, or that optimism equals less stress. Anecdotally I have found that those who preach optimism and the power of positive thinking the most tend to be the most stressed out when the kittens hit the fan. Specifically I noticed it a few months ago when Hurricane Matthew hit my home town. I have a reputation as one of those icky pessimists, but when the hurricane was imminent I wasn't stressed at all, and it was all of those positive-meme-and-Bible-verse-sharing people who were the most panicky.

I also have a problem with the inherent victim blaming that goes with nonsense like The Secret. If bad things are happening to you then it must be your fault-- you didn't think enough happy thoughts.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I agree that stress can cause negative health effects, but I wouldn't assume that pessimism equals more stress, or that optimism equals less stress. Anecdotally I have found that those who preach optimism and the power of positive thinking the most tend to be the most stressed out when the kittens hit the fan. Specifically I noticed it a few months ago when Hurricane Matthew hit my home town. I have a reputation as one of those icky pessimists, but when the hurricane was imminent I wasn't stressed at all, and it was all of those positive-meme-and-Bible-verse-sharing people who were the most panicky.

I also have a problem with the inherent victim blaming that goes with nonsense like The Secret. If bad things are happening to you then it must be your fault-- you didn't think enough happy thoughts.

I do not know the source at this time but the report indicated pessimism was associated with a longer life span. I guess the nature of the pessimism would be a factor. "Hope for the best yet be prepared for the worse" works for me. Testing the back up generator and getting some fuel stock piled is less stressful to me than just saying the ice storm will miss us. Thankfully we were 40 miles south of the current ice storm but that was not the case in 2009.