10 Lbs in 5 weeks?

Options
Hey!

In need of a little help here! I'm trying to lose 10 Lbs in 5 weeks. I'm preparing to go home for Christmas and I would like to look good and feel good. I will be seeing people I haven't seen in years.

Has anyone done this? I've read some sites tell you its possible, while others say no. Here's a little information. I'm 5'4, 145 Lbs. I'm currently doing about 20-30 minutes of strength training with anywhere from 10-20 minutes of cardio - 5 times per week. Any advice for the workout? Has anyone followed a certain routine and seen these results?

Thanks!

Replies

• raychl88
    raychl88 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Set your weight loss goal to 2 lbs per week. This is ambitious if you're just starting out, but it can be done if you're disciplined enough. Make sure you log accurately - get a food scale and use it for everything. As far as exercise goes, it sounds like you have a good routine. Turn up the intensity with intervals for cardio. But really, the best exercise is one that you enjoy and will actually do :) Good luck!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You're at a healthy weight, or just above it, so it isn't possible without losing a lot of muscle.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    jillk93 wrote: »
    Hey!

In need of a little help here! I'm trying to lose 10 Lbs in 5 weeks. I'm preparing to go home for Christmas and I would like to look good and feel good. I will be seeing people I haven't seen in years.

Has anyone done this? I've read some sites tell you its possible, while others say no. Here's a little information. I'm 5'4, 145 Lbs. I'm currently doing about 20-30 minutes of strength training with anywhere from 10-20 minutes of cardio - 5 times per week. Any advice for the workout? Has anyone followed a certain routine and seen these results?

Thanks!

Obese-yes. Your stats-no. But, you could definitely aim for 1lb a week, which is still a 5lb loss and nothing to frown at :)
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I think at your size 5 pounds in 10 weeks is more realistic.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    2 pounds a week is only for those who are very overweight or obese.

You could do things to cut water weight safely though for a leaner look like avoid high sodium foods, grains, and alcohol... but you'll have to be careful at Christmas because having those foods will make you bloat up again.

You could increase your strength training to 45 minutes and up your cardio to 20 to 30 minutes of hiit (high intensity interval training) or plyometrics. That should help you lean up a bit more too.

But don't go too hardcore on trying to lose weight too fast, you could get stressed out or sick which wouldn't help you look or feel good for Xmas.

Just use a mild calorie deficit, increase your exercise slightly, and eat clean. Don't expect 10 pounds to come off, but it might LOOK like you lost 10 pounds.
  • viki_bright
    viki_bright Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't drastically cut calories. Instead I would focus on eating clean for the next 5 weeks and drink plenty of water. You may not lose 10 lbs but you will definitely look and feel so much better! Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    You're at a healthy weight, or just above it, so it isn't possible without losing a lot of muscle.

This
  • bendis2007
    bendis2007 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My stats are pretty similar to yours - 5'5 and 143 pounds. 10 pounds in 5 weeks is very ambitious and I think it will make you hangry - especially since you are actively working out.
    I would aim for 1/2 pound to 1 pound weight loss since that is much more realistic. The nice thing is since you are a normal weight, even if you only lose 4-5 pounds it WILL look like you've lost more. This past month I've actually stayed the same weight but I increased my lifting, and I force myself to run faster to increase my run distances (down to an 8:30 mile pace) and I still get a lot of compliments about 'continuing to lose weight.'
    Alternate and increase the intensity of the workouts a bit ( maybe sprint for a few minutes during your cardio, try a different circuit training routine, etc) - you'll retain some water weight from healing and working new muscle groups but you may start to see a difference in your body build after 5 weeks plus you'll feel better overall.
    Drink lots of water, eat lots of vegetables, get good rest, and moisturize. I find that since I'm pushing for a high veggie count everyday with lots of water and a good weekly exfoliater my skin is looking loads better, and I look healthier overall. If you can spring it - buy a sweet new outfit during all the Thanksgiving sales to perk you up!

If you push yourself to lose the 10 pounds at the current stats it's a decent deficit - it's not going to feel very good, you'd have to do it thru Thanksgiving, and your workouts will most likely suffer. Best of luck!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Thanks!

Since you are not overweight you really are not going to drop 10 lbs in 5 weeks without doing extreme unhealthy things.
    You could lose something like 5 lbs in that time in a more healthy way. Set your goal for .5-1 lb a week.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't drastically cut calories. Instead I would focus on eating clean for the next 5 weeks and drink plenty of water. You may not lose 10 lbs but you will definitely look and feel so much better! Good luck!

The what now? :huh:

I guess if you eat nothing but soap you will look and feel so much better?!?!? :smirk:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    10 lbs in 5 weeks is really not a reasonable goal unless you are obese to begin with. If you haven't seen these people for years, what difference does 10 lbs make? Are they really going to judge you based on that? Are they even going to notice? What's the point of making yourself miserable, just for that? Even if you manage to do it, you are not going to feel good after putting such a strain on your body.
  • jillk93
    jillk93 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    10 lbs in 5 weeks is really not a reasonable goal unless you are obese to begin with. If you haven't seen these people for years, what difference does 10 lbs make? Are they really going to judge you based on that? Are they even going to notice? What's the point of making yourself miserable, just for that? Even if you manage to do it, you are not going to feel good after putting such a strain on your body.

Everyone loses weight for different reasons. My weight loss is for myself but seeing people I have not seen in a few years is a good motivator. Will I lose 10 lbs? Yes.. because I want too. Will I lose it in 5 weeks? Based on everyone's comments, probably not. So instead, I will focus on working a little harder these next 5 weeks and will see where I end up! With that said, if anyone has an awesome workout they had good results with it would be so appreciated if you shared! I wouldn't mind switching things up a bit!
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Everyone loses weight for different reasons. My weight loss is for myself but seeing people I have not seen in a few years is a good motivator. Will I lose 10 lbs? Yes.. because I want too. Will I lose it in 5 weeks? Based on everyone's comments, probably not. So instead, I will focus on working a little harder these next 5 weeks and will see where I end up! With that said, if anyone has an awesome workout they had good results with it would be so appreciated if you shared! I wouldn't mind switching things up a bit!

Hi! So I started c25k and after seeing my weight loss start to slow down, it has picked up speed again. I don't know what your workout includes, and I have more weight to lose than you do, but it helped me a lot. It did not help my knees, but I can't have everything. LOL
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Even if you have your goals set a specific exact way and have a correct calories/activity formula to achieve them, there's still no guarantee. I have been 100% on-plan and lost nothing one week, a quarter pound the next week, then suddenly 2 lbs., etc.

The best you can and should (IMO) do is set your goals reasonably, not aggressively (at your weight), and aim for feeling better about yourself overall, not 10 lbs. specifically.

Just my take.