Finding your BMR

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Paschen81 wrote: »
    But what if your meal is more of a mixed bag. Like veggies are mix of corn, asparagus, carrots, onion.

Weigh and jot it down when chopping or otherwise getting them together for cooking.
    And what if your protein is not straight meat but a casserole or meat mixture like my Italian meatloaf which uses hamburger, sausage, bread crumbs, eggs, onions, tomato sauce, tomatoes, mozzarella, and ricotta cheese all in one loaf?

Create a recipe. It can be easily adjusted each time you make the same meal. Or again jot stuff down when cooking and log them separately and divide into portions.
    And salads?! Good lord I like to put all kinds of veggies in my salads 3 or more kinds of lettuce, cucumber, carrot, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, green onions, radishes, tomatoes, peas, edamame... You get the idea lol.

Super easy -- put a bowl, add ingredients, tare after each one. With lettuce I usually don't bother worrying about logging different types, though, and just log it all together (and will even estimate sometimes), since it has so few calories.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    To gain weight up to nearly 300lbs you didn't eat over 2100 calories a day, ever? Lol

She might not have. She might have drank the calories. Lots of people don't even think about all the calories in Starbucks style drinks, milkshakes, cream in coffee, alcohol, etc.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Paschen, watch this. This woman tracked her calories by estimating what she ate. See how much she thought she ate vs. how much she actually ate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA9AdlhB18o

Also, here's a picture of me when I thought I was eating 1200 or less calories a day and swore I couldn't lose weight. I used to keep track in my head and swore I was overestimating portions:

8dac81xkjls8.jpg

This is me after getting a food scale, and I learned how to weigh, measure, and log what I was eating and got real with myself and stopped telling myself lies:

s2mbos9cdm9v.jpg

You have a decision to make. You can keep pushing back against the advice you've been given in this thread, or you can make progress and lose weight.

Your choice.

This is extremely inspiring (and I marked it so).

Thank you!

I'm going to start talking to Paschen again...

I also wanted to point out for Paschen that I am older (54, I was 52 when I started doing this properly) and also have 2 forms of arthritis and a bad thyroid.

I saw you mention metabolic issues. I have them to. And used to think they were influencing my weight as well.

They weren't.

I ate too much, and until I could admit that, I couldn't lose weight.

The same applies to you.

Furthermore, it's not just admitting you eat too much, it's being willing to really understand how the body works (not some silly "oh muh metabuhlizum") and how weight loss works. The basic math of it. Even though calories in vs. calories out are only estimates, they're close enough for most people. Even people with metabolic conditions. Sometimes, we have to make adjustments (maybe 100 calories or so vs. someone who doesn't have our condition), but otherwise? We work the same as everyone else.
    This, and your post before, are INCREDIBLE and very inspiring! Thank you so much for taking the time to write these.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Paschen, watch this. This woman tracked her calories by estimating what she ate. See how much she thought she ate vs. how much she actually ate:

Also, here's a picture of me when I thought I was eating 1200 or less calories a day and swore I couldn't lose weight. I used to keep track in my head and swore I was overestimating portions:

8dac81xkjls8.jpg

This is me after getting a food scale, and I learned how to weigh, measure, and log what I was eating and got real with myself and stopped telling myself lies:

s2mbos9cdm9v.jpg

You have a decision to make. You can keep pushing back against the advice you've been given in this thread, or you can make progress and lose weight.

Your choice.

Me too!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

8dac81xkjls8.jpg

s2mbos9cdm9v.jpg

Your choice.

Thank you!

I'm going to start talking to Paschen again...

I also wanted to point out for Paschen that I am older (54, I was 52 when I started doing this properly) and also have 2 forms of arthritis and a bad thyroid.

I saw you mention metabolic issues. I have them to. And used to think they were influencing my weight as well.

They weren't.

I ate too much, and until I could admit that, I couldn't lose weight.

The same applies to you.

Furthermore, it's not just admitting you eat too much, it's being willing to really understand how the body works (not some silly "oh muh metabuhlizum") and how weight loss works. The basic math of it. Even though calories in vs. calories out are only estimates, they're close enough for most people. Even people with metabolic conditions. Sometimes, we have to make adjustments (maybe 100 calories or so vs. someone who doesn't have our condition), but otherwise? We work the same as everyone else.
    This, and your post before, are INCREDIBLE and very inspiring! Thank you so much for taking the time to write these.

Thank you (except now you preserved my typo for posterity! :P I just hope the OP comes back and sees them.
  • Paschen81
    Paschen81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yes. I watched it. I really hope that my diary isn't that incredibly under estimated as the person in the video. I can easily cut back to what I ate on the NS diet... Maybe I won't go hypoglycemic going another round. But when I get paid I'll get a scale and start weighing the portions.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Yes. I watched it. I really hope that my diary isn't that incredibly under estimated as the person in the video. I can easily cut back to what I ate on the NS diet... Maybe I won't go hypoglycemic going another round. But when I get paid I'll get a scale and start weighing the portions.

You won't need to drastically cut back.

You don't gain weight at 1400 calories and then lose two pounds at 1200.

When you are measuring accurately, you can eat more than you think.

Please, I implore you -- let go of what you think you know and start fresh. Read the stickies at the top of the forum.

Plug your stats into MFP and let it calculate your loss for you.

You've said you have Marfan's. That means you're tall. You're overweight. Tall people who have a lot to lose can lose at the rate of 2 pounds a week on much more than you think. You're probably eating that, you just don't realize it.

Quick edit: I just ran your stats. Your total daily energy expenditure is around 2500 calories. To lose 2 pounds a week, you'd have to eat around 1,500 calories. Which is likely what you're eating when you think you're eating 1,200 and not being accurate.
    Another outstanding post!
  • Paschen81
    Options
    Well today is my first day using a scale. I ve purposely mirrored a previous day's breakfast and lunch to see how bad my presumed overestimate was actually underestimated. So... So far it's not as bad as I was expecting. My breakfast that I estimated was 122 calories more than the breakfast I weighed (and I even used more cream cheese this morning than I normally do.)

Lunch was mixed. The bread weighed one gram more than listed on the bag for what 2 slices would be. But the 4 slices of ham weighed 3 grams less than what was listed on the bag. The cheese slice however was dead on exact with the bags info. The mayo came in at less than a serving as listed as well. So after all that I was 60 calories less than what I estimated for.

Not to shabby I don't think... I'm anxious about dinner. That may be where the greatest of the underestimation could reside
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Well today is my first day using a scale. I ve purposely mirrored a previous day's breakfast and lunch to see how bad my presumed overestimate was actually underestimated. So... So far it's not as bad as I was expecting. My breakfast that I estimated was 122 calories more than the breakfast I weighed (and I even used more cream cheese this morning than I normally do.)

Lunch was mixed. The bread weighed one gram more than listed on the bag for what 2 slices would be. But the 4 slices of ham weighed 3 grams less than what was listed on the bag. The cheese slice however was dead on exact with the bags info. The mayo came in at less than a serving as listed as well. So after all that I was 60 calories less than what I estimated for.

Not to shabby I don't think... I'm anxious about dinner. That may be where the greatest of the underestimation could reside

yeah and sometimes the other slices of cheese may be more or less. my bread the last few days has been 7g over for 2 slices. so it does pay to weigh in my opinion. the shocking part was the peanut butter and the oils.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Be 100% sure that you count everything with calories. Biggest surprise in logging for me was how many calories I was consuming just in coffee with cream/sugar at work (I use milk at home). Coffee creamer, peanut butter, and sandwich spreads were the real diet busters.

Also: You have to track all beverages, especially alcohol, even alcohol you don't have with meals.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,092 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    The numbers given to you by any given service is irrelevant except as a vague starting point. You think your TDEE should be around 1400? So eat that much religiously for a few weeks and see what happens. Then adjust as necessary.

This whole thing is shockingly easy.

I was just wondering about long term... Am I really stuck eating 1200 to 1400 calories for the rest of my life? .. Lol.

I admit I am lazy and did not even work out my BMR or TDEE, I just plugged my stats into MFP and ate what it told me to eat.

and I realise some people's metabolism is bit different to others- but even allowing for that - No you cannot possibly need to eat 1400 for the rest of your life - ie after reaching goal weight and eating to maitenance.

I am nearly a foot shorter than you and probably quite a few years older - and My maitenance calories are 1710 - net calories, before any exercise calories are added back in.

I LOST on 1460.

Even in the losing stage of your journey your calorie allowance has to be more than 1400.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,943 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @Paschen81 you have (or should have) a goodly amount ahead of you to lose your weight and develop some good habits that will stand you in good stead.

You mentioned a couple of things (feeling cold, brittle hair, hypoglycemic), plus a fairly rapid rate of loss (2lbs a week) which leads me to think that your belief that you're eating 1200 calories currently may not be too far off. And if that's the case you are running a higher risk of eventually having an appreciable slow down in the calories that you burn daily.

Because of your current weight and height, you're in the lucky position where you will lose weight whether you eat 1000, 1200, 1400, 1600, or even 1800 calories. In fact, with a little bit of extra, for example, walking, you can probably lose weight, and fairly fast at that, while eating 2000 calories a day.

I would urge you to calculate the TDEE (maintenance calories) of a person your height at your GOAL weight with a lightly active activity level.

And to try to develop the habit of eating that amount of food on average from now on, while relying on your currently higher weight and on increased daily activity (and down the road increased more vigorous exercise) to create the 15% to 20% (25% while obese) caloric deficit you need to lose weight.

While this will probably NOT create a 2lb a week rate of loss, it will still create a rapid enough rate of weight loss, and it will help you build good habits for the future!

Move more, eat more, lose lots!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    To gain weight up to nearly 300lbs you didn't eat over 2100 calories a day, ever? Lol

She might not have. She might have drank the calories. Lots of people don't even think about all the calories in Starbucks style drinks, milkshakes, cream in coffee, alcohol, etc.

A bit of a pedantic response but maybe I should have used the word consume.
  • Paschen81
    edited November 2016
    Options

I'm not one who really drinks calories yes I do have creamer in my coffee but I've realized over the last three days was starting to weigh by milliliters that I am not even drinking the 60 calories that I had been logging in my diary. after my first cup of coffee I switch to either herbal or green tea sweetened with stevia or monk fruit. I do tend to drink a lot of water and if the water is flavored it is usually flavored with a non calorie Stevia sweetened or monk fruit sweetened additive.

• Paschen81
    Options
    Ok... Now I have a question... When I tried to enter my oatmeal packet by weight I couldn't find an entry that didn't list as "1 pouch" only. I couldn't find or change it to show by grams and of course the weight listed on the pouch was less than the weight that the oatmeal had on the scale. Grrr so for 43g listed weight on the pouch it actually weighed 115g on the scale. How do I make for a correct entry so I know how many calories over the 160 listed I've eaten?
  • Paschen81
    Options
    And... Eye opening moment... I had leftover pasta for lunch Sunday... OMG! 1 cup of pasta I would have marked as 500 calories before... After weighing it 1000 calories?! Holy hades!! I'm never going to eat Olive Garden ever again if that 1 little cup of homemade pasta was 1000 I can only imagine olive garden sized meals are in the 3000 calorie range. For my love of pasta I fear that I may have to give it up as being too calorie dense.