Finding your BMR

Options

Replies

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Paschen81 wrote: »
    Ok... Now I have a question... When I tried to enter my oatmeal packet by weight I couldn't find an entry that didn't list as "1 pouch" only. I couldn't find or change it to show by grams and of course the weight listed on the pouch was less than the weight that the oatmeal had on the scale. Grrr so for 43g listed weight on the pouch it actually weighed 115g on the scale. How do I make for a correct entry so I know how many calories over the 160 listed I've eaten?

For things like that you can always add it under 'my foods'. It'll take you a few moments to feed the info (I assume you have the nutrition info on the package). I recommend using 100g as the base serving size to simplify the maths:

Serving size: 100g
    Servings per container: 1

This way you can weigh it and easily log it. So for example, if it's 65g you log 0.65 servings or if it's 105g then you log 1.05 servings.

I have a few foods I use often that I set up under my foods (and didn't share with the database so that no one can go and change things in them). It might take a bit of time, but for foods you use a lot it's worth it. That way you know it's as accurate as can be and you don't have to guess.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Wait wait. Are you checking for dry weight vs cooked weight? Because 43g vs 115g sounds completely not right to me. That's 3 times the stated serving.

Same could go for pasta, though it can be quite the shocker, especially if it's in a creamy sauce. I looked at Olive Garden and Cheesecake Factory nutritional info once, my word are those calorie bomb eateries.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    And... Eye opening moment... I had leftover pasta for lunch Sunday... OMG! 1 cup of pasta I would have marked as 500 calories before... After weighing it 1000 calories?! Holy hades!! I'm never going to eat Olive Garden ever again if that 1 little cup of homemade pasta was 1000 I can only imagine olive garden sized meals are in the 3000 calorie range. For my love of pasta I fear that I may have to give it up as being too calorie dense.

For pasta (which I love) I usually make 50-65g of pasta and bulk it and the sauce with veggies. Not only does it end up being an eyeful on the plate (carrots, red peppers and beetroots add a nice splash of color for not much calories) but it also adds a nice bit of micro-nutrients.

But I agree, I don't usually have pasta when I eat out. The servings tend to be huge and the sauces dripping with added oil or cream where not much is needed. I'm just not willing to use up that many calories for something I can make a lot yummier, with a lot less calories, at home. :wink:

It's a question on whether you can compromise on those things or not. There are some, like pasta, where I will and others, like chocolate, where I won't.
  • Paschen81
    Paschen81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Wait wait. Are you checking for dry weight vs cooked weight? Because 43g vs 115g sounds completely not right to me. That's 3 times the stated serving.

Same could go for pasta, though it can be quite the shocker, especially if it's in a creamy sauce. I looked at Olive Garden and Cheesecake Factory nutritional info once, my word are those calorie bomb eateries.

They're cooked weights if I'm eating it cooked raw weights if I'm eating it raw. Does that make sense? Basically I weigh each food item as I put it on the plate/bowl taring the weight before adding the next item. Once the portion I plan to eat is met then I sit and eat lol.

But that brings me to another question... There are many times when I don't eat everything on my plate.... In the past I would just leave the calories I didn't eat logged as if I had. I do this alot especially with meats or fatty/greasy foods... I don't really like fat. Not sure if it's a texture thing a taste thing or both. But I tend to mutilate my meat and cut off all the fat to feed to my dog and sometimes ill have marked a 4oz piece of steak but only end up eating 3 or 4 small bites of it and have 2/3rds of the 4oz left uneaten...

So what do you do with uneaten portions already logged? Just leave them logged? Or go through the process of weighing the remaining and subtracting the weight from the previously logged amount?
  • ericwhitt
    ericwhitt Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    And... Eye opening moment... I had leftover pasta for lunch Sunday... OMG! 1 cup of pasta I would have marked as 500 calories before... After weighing it 1000 calories?! Holy hades!! I'm never going to eat Olive Garden ever again if that 1 little cup of homemade pasta was 1000 I can only imagine olive garden sized meals are in the 3000 calorie range. For my love of pasta I fear that I may have to give it up as being too calorie dense.

Make sure you are measuring all your meats raw, all your rice and pasta dry and all your veggies raw. All your liquids via measuring cups. For condiments, best practice is weigh the bottle, tare the weight, use the condiment and reweigh it. The difference is how much you used. Similar concept for fruits like apples and peaches. Weight it, eat it and reweigh the core/leftovers and that's how much you ate.

I think you're starting to realize what people were saying that your claims of losing 2lbs a week at 1200 vs gaining at 1400 are due to estimate errors. Math/Science is rarely wrong in these situations, I was in the same boat, didn't realize how much I was eating until the wife bought us a food scale and we realized that our standard dinner was almost 1200 calorie servings.

Eating out is definitely much harder to do and stay under your limit. Restaurants use so much high calorie fillers, you order a stir fry it's 90% rice, Italian is 90% pasta. Not to mention you most likely got bread sticks while you're at Olive Garden... it sucks when you realize how much your favorite restaurants are pretty terrible in the end.

Oh, and have you checked the calorie count on Movie theather popcorn? :'( Breaks my heart, I can't go to a movie without popcorn, so we only go see a movie like once a month now, and make sure it's on a day we plan very light meals.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    You need to check what the packet says for raw or cooked weight. I suspect your oatmeal has the serving listed raw and you weighed it cooked?

As for not finishing your meals. Perhaps you could buy less fatty cuts of meat if you're causing so much food waste? The alternative is to weigh your leftovers and deduct it (I do this with boned meat, I weigh the bones afterwards).
  • Paschen81
    Options
    ericwhitt wrote: »

Make sure you are measuring all your meats raw, all your rice and pasta dry and all your veggies raw. All your liquids via measuring cups. For condiments, best practice is weigh the bottle, tare the weight, use the condiment and reweigh it. The difference is how much you used. Similar concept for fruits like apples and peaches. Weight it, eat it and reweigh the core/leftovers and that's how much you ate.
    weigh meats raw? But what if it's already cooked when you get it? And what of leftovers? I don't like waste...

I think you're starting to realize what people were saying that your claims of losing 2lbs a week at 1200 vs gaining at 1400 are due to estimate errors. Math/Science is rarely wrong in these situations, I was in the same boat, didn't realize how much I was eating until the wife bought us a food scale and we realized that our standard dinner was almost 1200 calorie servings.
    well that one cup of pasta that I logged as 998 calories was already cooked. Other than that (and eating a 100 calorie salad to stay under 1400 for the day) my first 3 days of using a scale show that previously I was logging 1000 to 1100 when after weighing my intake is now between 1300 and 1400. So I was off by about 300 calories. But 300 calories times 7 days could be why I'm only losing around 1-2 pounds per week and *gasp* I gained a pound last week... But I ate 3 meals that had 2/3rds of a cup of cooked pasta... If those 300 calories were actually 800... Well... Like I said already... No more pasta for this pasta lover.
    Eating out is definitely much harder to do and stay under your limit. Restaurants use so much high calorie fillers, you order a stir fry it's 90% rice, Italian is 90% pasta. Not to mention you most likely got bread sticks while you're at Olive Garden... it sucks when you realize how much your favorite restaurants are pretty terrible in the end.
    yeah... This will be a battle until the end of time... Perhaps no more eating out is in order too
    Oh, and have you checked the calorie count on Movie theather popcorn? :'( Breaks my heart, I can't go to a movie without popcorn, so we only go see a movie like once a month now, and make sure it's on a day we plan very light meals. good thing I can't stand popcorn... Love the smell of it... Taste... Bleck

My response is bolded

• Paschen81
    Options
    This weighing everything is alot of work lol but I am committed to losing this weight.
  • Paschen81
    Options
    You need to check what the packet says for raw or cooked weight. I suspect your oatmeal has the serving listed raw and you weighed it cooked?

The package doesn't specify raw vs cooked it just states Serving Size: 1 Pouch (43g) calories 160. Then lists the percentage of vitamin, minerals, Carb, protein, sugar etcetera.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    always weigh your oatmeal before its cooked. that will be the serving size, since it swells up when cooked its going to give you more oatmeal(well seems like it) but the calories will still be the same. weigh the package,dump oatmeal into bowl and weight the empty package and subtract. you will get the amount of oatmeal. so if its 43g according to packet info and the package is 2g then you would enter 41g of oatmeal,so you would have 0.9534g(or 0.95g) of oatmeal. I always add the other 2 numbers to be more accurate but thats me. If I am going to eat pasta I make sure I either get more exercise in or I just have a light breakfast and lunch and make it fit into my calories. I know I cant eat as much as I did before but thats what got me here in the first place lol.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

The package doesn't specify raw vs cooked it just states Serving Size: 1 Pouch (43g) calories 160. Then lists the percentage of vitamin, minerals, Carb, protein, sugar etcetera.

Always assume it is raw, otherwise, it will say cooked weight.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    always weigh your oatmeal before its cooked. that will be the serving size, since it swells up when cooked its going to give you more oatmeal(well seems like it) but the calories will still be the same. weigh the package,dump oatmeal into bowl and weight the empty package and subtract. you will get the amount of oatmeal. so if its 43g according to packet info and the package is 2g then you would enter 41g of oatmeal,so you would have 0.9534g(or 0.95g) of oatmeal. I always add the other 2 numbers to be more accurate but thats me. If I am going to eat pasta I make sure I either get more exercise in or I just have a light breakfast and lunch and make it fit into my calories. I know I cant eat as much as I did before but thats what got me here in the first place lol.

I would just put the empty bowl on the scale, tare/zero, then dump in the oatmeal, no need to weigh the packet!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

I would just put the empty bowl on the scale, tare/zero, then dump in the oatmeal, no need to weigh the packet!

well she can do it that way too. there is no wrong way to be honest.
  • VintageFeline
    edited November 2016
    Options

No, I was just figuring the easiest way rather than faffing about weighing packets. I do the same with meat, put the whole pack on the scale, zero, remove whatever I'm having and the negative number is the weight.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

No, I was just figuring the easiest way rather than faffing about measuring packets.

lol yeah,its all good though
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Also, gross error check.

Calories per dry weight of anything in the pasta / rice / wheat / oatmeal / barley family will be in the 350kcal/100g ballpark, but these swell when cooking.

Depending upon the grain and your cooking method they can double, triple or even more in weight, but the calories remain the same. So if you weigh 100g cooked pasta it might be something like 150kcal, but that is very variable

So I always weigh these ingredients dry, before cooking. If I am cooking for me and my non-dieting partner, I might cook 90g dry weight pasta, then weigh again after cooking, and give me 1/3 and him 2/3, so that I know my portion is equivalent to 30g dry weight, so in the region of 110kcal
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    So... I went to iifym website after seeing a post suggesting it for finding BMR.

Long story short... It says 2148 uh.... Bwahahaha is this a joke? I have NEVER eaten that many calories in a normal day ever... Even when I was gaining 5 lbs a week for the 12 week span before going to the doctor. After all the labs came back normal he had me log my intake for a week (turns out at that time I was eating around 1800 calories per day) and decrease it by 100 calories a day each week until I started losing. I did this and once I got to 1400 I finally stopped gaining but didn't start losing until I got to 1200. Right now eating between 1000 to 1200 a day and losing about 2 pounds per week... How on earth can my BMR really be over 2000 when any more than 1400 I gain? Seriously how can I find an accurate BMR?
    What stats do you want? I'm 40 Female 6'1" currently 297 (down from 312) highest weight 319 3 years ago lowest adult weight 175 over 22 years ago. My ultimate goal is 150 but could be content with 175.
    imate o
    Exercise varies. Minimum is 2 days a week for about an hour or so. When it doesn't get dark by 6pm I'll exercise more frequently... Or when I am on vacation I'll exercise more.

Congratulations on your weight loss thus far. Job well done!

BMR is the amount of calories you need to sustain if you were in a coma, and it's irrelevant to weight loss, gain, etc. TDEE, or total daily energy expenditure, is the amount of calories you need to sustain your current weight. With your height alone, your TDEE will be on the high side, and your current weight will make it higher.

At your height and weight, there is no way you gain on 1400 calories unless you have some medical issue that needs attention asap. It is clear that you were actually underestimating your calorie intake, which is so easy to do (in other words, we've all done it. :)).

When you were at "1800", did you weigh all your food and measure all your liquids? Did you log every single thing you ate? If you were not, then you really have no idea how much you were eating. You will never be 100% accurate, but it's good to try and get as accurate of an estimate that you can.

You do not have to exercise to lose weight, so how much you exercise does not matter in that respect. Eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.
  • Paschen81
    Options
    Also, gross error check.

Calories per dry weight of anything in the pasta / rice / wheat / oatmeal / barley family will be in the 350kcal/100g ballpark, but these swell when cooking.

Depending upon the grain and your cooking method they can double, triple or even more in weight, but the calories remain the same. So if you weigh 100g cooked pasta it might be something like 150kcal, but that is very variable

So I always weigh these ingredients dry, before cooking. If I am cooking for me and my non-dieting partner, I might cook 90g dry weight pasta, then weigh again after cooking, and give me 1/3 and him 2/3, so that I know my portion is equivalent to 30g dry weight, so in the region of 110kcal

Ok.. This sounds plausible... Takes a little more work and a little math but I can see this working for me... Weigh the entire amount dry... Then again when cooked then the portion I eat as cooked then find the difference between the portion eaten cooked compared to the total portion in relation to the total dry portion. Ok... I think I can do that.
  • Paschen81
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

When you were at "1800", did you weigh all your food and measure all your liquids? Did you log every single thing you ate? If you were not, then you really have no idea how much you were eating. You will never be 100% accurate, but it's good to try and get as accurate of an estimate that you can.

Up until Friday the only time I weighed my food was when it was charged for by the ounce lol.

However, when logging prior to Friday I used volume to get close to what I would then log. Most of the time I would knowingly over estimate my amounts in hopes that choosing an amount more than what was eaten would make up for any difference in actual calories. Which I'm seeing now means that when I thought I was only eating around 1000 calories I was more likely eating 1300. By such on the rare splurge days... My 1500 logged calories were probably 2200...eeks seeing that in print makes me feel horrible.... And yes I log every single thing I eat... And anything I drink that is not tea with stevia or monkfruit or water or water flavored with stevia or monkfruit sweetened flavors. I even log my real lime waters 5 calories per pouch (suppose to be used in a 20 oz water but I put it in a 1 liter water)

Oh dear... Do I need to weigh those powder packets too?
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother. If a 5 calorie pouch was 20% overweight that would only be one calorie, and something machine-packaged is unlikely to be that far out.