Clean Eating

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    5arrowz wrote: »
    Really guys...I'm new to this community...I know better now. Thanks for the education. OP I apologize for any misleading statements I've made.

No worries, just know that some topics get a bit more feisty than others lol. Just wait til you read some of the sugar threads :D
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Really guys...I'm new to this community...I know better now. Thanks for the education. OP I apologize for any misleading statements I've made.

Don't take any of the comments personally - it's good to come on here and learn new things. I agree that "clean eating" is a hot topic on here with loads of myths and misinformation surrounding it, and it comes up pretty often.

Everyone should eat the way they personally feel they should, but should understand that it may not be the "best" way for everyone across the board, and that there is no one way of eating to achieve optimum health. People can be healthy eating a large variety of diets, even ones that include processed foods. It's only when foods are eaten to excess and nutrition requirements are not met that leads to poor health and/or obesity. And by no means should a way of eating be advised to treat medical conditions - that should always be between a person and their doctor. :smile:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    NiveaSoG wrote: »
    Wow...I'm just sharing my experience to the OP sorry I'm not knowledgeable enough for all of you...lmao

Enjoy the rest of your day ✌

well handled.

She's so RUDE!

Who?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    jyow01 wrote: »
    I want to try and move away from overly processed food, my daughter will be moving home in May and she is newly diagnosed with Gluten Allergy as a family it would also be easier to go Gluten free. It will make meal prep easier.

It is awesome that you are trying to change your family's eating habits to help accommodate your daughter.

I wouldn't focus so much on eating "clean", but there are a ton of gluten free recipes out there that are great and easy to find online. And if you want to lose weight (if that's what you meant by "look great") for her graduation ceremony, I would advise entering your stats into MFP and eating the recommended number of calories.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Wow...I'm just sharing my experience to the OP sorry I'm not knowledgeable enough for all of you...lmao

well handled.

She's so RUDE!

Thanks :) if pointing out woo and incorrect thinking is rude I'm happy to be called rude. And @5arrowz it's awesome that you can learn new things. There was I time where I did crazy things in the name of weight loss but I learned the hard way (ed hospitalizations and very ill health).
  • singingflutelady
    WinoGelato wrote: »

well handled.

She's so RUDE!

Who?

Me. It's me who she is referring to since I'm the one who 5arrowz was responding to
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    It's just food that's not processed. I usually say if it has more than 5 indgredients in it or if it has chemical words I don't understand (lol) I don't buy it. Gracious pantry (blog) has some really awesome recipes....Pinterest your butt off....and read!!! Milk for instance is only one ingredient but unless it's organic it's not clean....the antibiotics and rbst in it can make you sick....MSG is allowed to be called a "natural flavor" so I stay away from anything that says that too! so you just have to read read read!!! everyone will be a little different but if you just start incorporating Whole food into your diet you'll be better for it.

On a side note...clean eating (and The Lord) cured my husband of severe asthma!!! Our whole family feels better!
    It's just food that's not processed. I usually say if it has more than 5 indgredients in it or if it has chemical words I don't understand (lol) I don't buy it. Gracious pantry (blog) has some really awesome recipes....Pinterest your butt off....and read!!! Milk for instance is only one ingredient but unless it's organic it's not clean....the antibiotics and rbst in it can make you sick....MSG is allowed to be called a "natural flavor" so I stay away from anything that says that too! so you just have to read read read!!! everyone will be a little different but if you just start incorporating Whole food into your diet you'll be better for it.

On a side note...clean eating (and The Lord) cured my husband of severe asthma!!! Our whole family feels better!

wait, what?!?
  • jyow01
    jyow01 Posts: 123 Member
    Didn't mean for everyone to get so upset sorry about that. I was just hoping to get some information. :/
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

So I guess a salad with more than 5 ingredients is dirty? Why 5? How vast is your knowledge of chemistry? Do you avoid sodium bicarbonate and dihydrogen monoxide because they have "chemical" names
    No, I'm talking about shopping....if I pick up a product is loaded with ingredients esp ones I don't know I don't buy it. A salad I make ...I know the ingredients and that's different... I read so I know what all the chemical names are. I was trying to help her start shopping and incorporating better ingredients. That's all. Don't tax on my gig so hardcore cruster

What does that last sentence even mean?

I think she has been watching Pauly Shore movies

I was trying to gather from my own memory whether it was Biodome or Encino Man.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    The thing is that not everyone defines clean eating or practices it the same way. Since the OP is talking about gluten, there are some specific issues - things like cross contamination - that they'll need to address that most clean eaters don't have to worry about. I'm not gluten-free, but hopefully someone can offer more specific advice.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    natalie3t wrote: »
    Well I try to eat as clean as I can. Buying minimal amounts of processed foods. No frozen, canned or packaged products. Try to buy whole foods and cook them from scratch yourself. This takes a lot more time but eliminates the chemicals and preservatives added in processed foods. I make more than I need and freeze small portions to reheat later. Like homemade soups, spagetti sauces, enchilada sauce, alfredo sauce, things like this.

You don't buy frozen food, but you'll prepare food and then freeze it? K.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Didn't mean for everyone to get so upset sorry about that. I was just hoping to get some information. :/

The problem with "clean eating" is that it doesn't really have a singular definition and means different things to different people...so you have to figure out what that means to you.

For some people, everything has to be organic and non-gmo, otherwise "unclean"...for others; meat, poultry, and fish are perfectly acceptable "clean" foods...for others they are not...and for some they have to be lean...fattier cuts would be "unclean". For some, canned tomatoes would be a perfectly acceptable minimally processed "clean" food...for others, it would be processed filth. I think you get the picture.

At any rate, just focus on quality nutrition...IMO, it's pretty much common sense and most people already know what they need to do. Make whole foods a priority...plenty of veg...some fruit...whole grains like oats, corn, etc...whole starches like potatoes and sweet potatoes and other root vegetables...healthy fats from things like nuts and nut butters, avocados, and good cooking oils...protein from quality meats, poultry, fish, eggs, etc...etc, etc...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

No worries OP - you inadvertently walked into one of the hottest topics on MFP. As people have pointed out, part of the issue is that the term "clean eating" is extremely subjective and means something different to everyone who uses it/practices it. Because of that, in my opinion, it is an unhelpful and unnecessary term since it is nebulous and impossible to consistently define and implement. The spirit behind it, eating more healthfully, cooking from whole foods, etc - are all great concepts, but those of us who don't specifically restrict "processed" foods for arbitrary reasons tend to bristle at some of the posts proclaiming that one must "eat clean" in order to be healthy. It's simply not true - you can eat a healthful diet that incorporates processed foods, you can eat a calorie dense "clean" diet that ends up resulting in weight gain which isn't healthy either.

I commend your motivation to lose weight and prepare meals that enable your family to eat together given your daughter's gluten intolerance. I have a couple of friends who have gluten intolerant children and when I've tried to prepare meals for them, it is very challenging, I never knew how many foods that I never would have thought of have gluten in them. I suggest you maybe start a new thread asking about gluten free cooking and tips - as this thread is going to continue to go off the rails simply because of the title.

For weight loss of course, all you need is a calorie deficit, and for help in that, you can read the stickied "most helpful forum posts" at the top of the various forum sections.

Good luck!
  • 6arrowz
    6arrowz Posts: 14 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »

wait, what?!?
    Yes because we cut out (carefully saying this) bad chemicals and overly processed foods including dairy (personal choice) has nothing to do with "clean eating"
    My (very fit ) husband went from using his rescue inhaler (10x a day) and his daily steroids , and having to need abuterol every time the wind blew wrong ,to no meds....he doesn't even carry his inhaler anymore, it's been over 2 years. This was a life long battle he suffered and it's an amazing that food can be medicine.

Also stating that my statement is not meant to diagnose or treat any medical condition, please see a dr for treatment.i am not a dr or have no nutritional or chemistry degree.

• 6arrowz

I was trying to gather from my own memory whether it was Biodome or Encino Man.[/quote]
    Encino man
  • 6arrowz
    edited November 2016

wait, what?!?
    Yes because we cut out (carefully saying this) bad chemicals and overly processed foods including dairy (personal choice) has nothing to do with "clean eating"
    My (very fit ) husband went from using his rescue inhaler (10x a day) and his daily steroids , and having to need abuterol every time the wind blew wrong ,to no meds....he doesn't even carry his inhaler anymore, it's been over 2 years. This was a life long battle he suffered and it's an amazing that food can be medicine.

Also stating that my statement is not meant to diagnose or treat any medical condition, please see a dr for treatment.i am not a dr or have no nutritional or chemistry degree.

You said "bad chemicals"

I know whats coming...

Ok lol I take it back ,I surrender ! Lol
  • singingflutelady

wait, what?!?

You said "bad chemicals"

I know whats coming...

So you disagree with people pointing out erroneous statements. I bet you can't name the so called "bad chemicals" and why they are bad
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member

wait, what?!?

As an asthmatic, I can say that when I lost weight my symptoms decreased and I came off all controller medications, and only need my rescue inhaler sporadically. I don't doubt that losing weight can help but to say food choices and chemicals can contribute to symptoms is nonsense.
  • 6arrowz

wait, what?!?

Has he had any formal allergy testing done? I have a family member who has a diagnosed dairy allergy (among several other things), and she no longer needs her inhaler now that she's cut out the dairy. It sounds like you may actually be dealing with food allergies/intolerances.

Yes, he had and dairy wasn't one of his allergies. He had been part of multiple asthma studies (to help pay for his meds) so he had to have multiple allergy tests. The dr said it was amazing! He's no longer elegible for further studies. He's also started to incorporate grass fed butter and some cheeses back without problem.