Clean Eating

jyow01
jyow01 Posts: 123 Member
Does anyone follow a clean eating plan. If so how did you get started, my daughter graduates in May from college and I really want to look my best. I have thought about clean eating before but don't know where to start.

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    jyow01 wrote: »
    Does anyone follow a clean eating plan. If so how did you get started, my daughter graduates in May from college and I really want to look my best. I have thought about clean eating before but don't know where to start.

What is your definition of "clean eating" as it varies greatly.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Buy whole unprocessed or minimally processed ingredients and prepare meals from that.
  • jyow01
    jyow01 Posts: 123 Member
    I want to try and move away from overly processed food, my daughter will be moving home in May and she is newly diagnosed with Gluten Allergy as a family it would also be easier to go Gluten free. It will make meal prep easier.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited November 2016
    I try to. I stick to bacon, salame, steak, birds, butter, fishes. Sometimes I'll have a snickers bar or a cookie.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    I want to try and move away from overly processed food, my daughter will be moving home in May and she is newly diagnosed with Gluten Allergy as a family it would also be easier to go Gluten free. It will make meal prep easier.

It sounds like you know exactly where to start. Just do what you described in this post. Move away from overly processed foods and cook more meals from scratch. It's simple really.
  • 6arrowz
    6arrowz Posts: 14 Member
    It's just food that's not processed. I usually say if it has more than 5 indgredients in it or if it has chemical words I don't understand (lol) I don't buy it. Gracious pantry (blog) has some really awesome recipes....Pinterest your butt off....and read!!! Milk for instance is only one ingredient but unless it's organic it's not clean....the antibiotics and rbst in it can make you sick....MSG is allowed to be called a "natural flavor" so I stay away from anything that says that too! so you just have to read read read!!! everyone will be a little different but if you just start incorporating Whole food into your diet you'll be better for it.

On a side note...clean eating (and The Lord) cured my husband of severe asthma!!! Our whole family feels better!
  • 6arrowz
    "Clean" and gluten free are completely different. Gluten is a real thing that you can be intolerant to. "Clean" eating is a BS phrase for people who believe you can't lose weight eating "junk" food.

If you want to lose weight for her graduation, you need a calorie deficit. If you are going to cut out gluten, I would look in the recipe threads for ideas or use google.
    it's def not bs phrase...or is it about just loosing weight....it's just healthier for you...being more mindful of your food will help you in so many areas...losing weight is a happy side effect..

• Need2Exerc1se
    5arrowz wrote: »
    It's just food that's not processed. I usually say if it has more than 5 indgredients in it or if it has chemical words I don't understand (lol) I don't buy it. Gracious pantry (blog) has some really awesome recipes....Pinterest your butt off....and read!!! Milk for instance is only one ingredient but unless it's organic it's not clean....the antibiotics and rbst in it can make you sick....MSG is allowed to be called a "natural flavor" so I stay away from anything that says that too! so you just have to read read read!!! everyone will be a little different but if you just start incorporating Whole food into your diet you'll be better for it.

On a side note...clean eating (and The Lord) cured my husband of severe asthma!!! Our whole family feels better!
    So I guess a salad with more than 5 ingredients is dirty? Why 5? How vast is your knowledge of chemistry? Do you avoid sodium bicarbonate and dihydrogen monoxide because they have "chemical" names

And here we go off track of the OP's question. :(
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member

So I guess a salad with more than 5 ingredients is dirty? Why 5? How vast is your knowledge of chemistry? Do you avoid sodium bicarbonate and dihydrogen monoxide because they have "chemical" names

And here we go off track of the OP's question. :(

Sorry. Just wanted to point out the issues with this poster's statement.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    I've been told I'm doing a clean eating cause I don't do processed food, no gluten or corn or milk products, just lot's of clean meat, veggies, fruits, nuts and seeds.

I don't know what clean eating is but I recommend that diet I'm on.. It's proving to be very effective for me.
  • 6arrowz
    Wow...I'm just sharing my experience to the OP sorry I'm not knowledgeable enough for all of you...lmao

Enjoy the rest of your day ✌
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2016

I hate the term "clean eating," but I don't think it's supposed to be a plan, I think it's just eating only (or mostly) food prepared at home from whole ingredients. I mostly do that, but I also like greek yogurt and cottage cheese and occasional protein powder and pickled vegetables and smoked salmon and canned tomatoes (out of season) and dried/canned beans and dried pasta and don't see any reason why eating those things or going out to dinner and eating something prepared from whole ingredients there would be contrary to health. So I don't really get the "clean eating" thing.

But if you want to try it, cook from whole ingredients at home (which I recommend as an easy way to watch calories and generally worthwhile anyway, and a tasty way to control what's in your food). If it were a different time of year I'd also recommend trying to focus on what's in season, but that's getting more limited lots of places. I am concerned about where I source my meat, which is a thing for some "clean eaters," not all. I think most (not all) will focus on getting lots of vegetables, which I recommend unrelated to clean eating -- it's just nutritionally sensible.

If you want to lose weight watching calories or portions and understanding what you are eating and how caloric it is will be more helpful than clean eating, but I suppose if you eat lots of highly processed stuff and aren't that tempted by less processed things (I was the opposite) then it could lead to a reduction in calories.

Does that help?

Edit: oh, I see it's about gluten free. Gluten is not necessarily considered "unclean" -- at least many would see homemade bread as perfectly clean, for example, which shows the problem with the term.

I agree that if you are eating lots of packaged stuff that may or may not have gluten cutting them out and doing most cooking from whole ingredients or ingredients you know are safe is a good plan. I'd call that eating gluten-free, and there are a number of people here who do that and could help you.
  • natalie3t
    natalie3t Posts: 14 Member
    Well I try to eat as clean as I can. Buying minimal amounts of processed foods. No frozen, canned or packaged products. Try to buy whole foods and cook them from scratch yourself. This takes a lot more time but eliminates the chemicals and preservatives added in processed foods. I make more than I need and freeze small portions to reheat later. Like homemade soups, spagetti sauces, enchilada sauce, alfredo sauce, things like this.
  • 6arrowz

No, I'm talking about shopping....if I pick up a product is loaded with ingredients esp ones I don't know I don't buy it. A salad I make ...I know the ingredients and that's different... I read so I know what all the chemical names are. I was trying to help her start shopping and incorporating better ingredients. That's all. Don't tax on my gig so hardcore cruster
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited November 2016
    Wow...I'm just sharing my experience to the OP sorry I'm not knowledgeable enough for all of you...lmao

Enjoy the rest of your day ✌

'Clean' eating is a hot topic around here. It's a very subjective term that has a lot of woo surrounding it (as your previous post pointed out so well). But, to each their own!

OP-you'll have better luck just checking out the clean eating group
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133-clean-eating-group