What exercises do you avoid? Why?

Options
tomomatic
tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
I tend to avoid squats and dead lifts because I was in a car accident years ago and it really aggravated my injuries. I was still in physical therapy at the time. I'm thinking about incorporating it again but with much lower weights. Any tips would be handy. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I try not to avoid anything. I have a bum knee from an injury long ago, squats and lunges weren't easy to begin with and they still hurt occasionally (especially made worse by humidity) but I got better at them over time by increasing reps/weights slowly.

You got this. =)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid this exercise.

bad-exercises.jpg
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'd say incorporate them into your workouts. Start with body weight to start with (make sure your form is correct) and gradually add weight - give your body time to adapt.

Pull ups are my arch nemesis........
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    None
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Everything. Why? Laziness.

And trust me when I tell you it's been to my detriment. I've lost 45 pounds and am below goal weight. But I'm a jiggly mess. Part of that is skin because I'm 44 years old. But part of it is lack of muscle tone.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Exercise classes. The ones I've been to were of appalling quality, and I think they'd all be a waste of my time.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I try not to avoid anything.

My knee sometimes bothers me. On days that it bothers me, I don't do squats/lunges with weight (and I don't go really low). If it's a running day, I take it slower and walk when I need to. On days it doesn't bother me, I run as normal or go heavier/lower in squats/lunges (to help strengthen the muscles that support it).

My shoulder also can be "finicky" - I pretty much just make sure I use 15 pounds or less for shoulder exercises, but I don't avoid them..
  • KristyAnn81
    KristyAnn81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    any really fast up and down with the head. i get too dizzy. in my workouts, there are some of these and i just modify the movements so i'm still doing something.

(like running back and forth lounging to the floor as far down as you can, after about 3-4 i'm dizzy.... oh well, modified moves still work for me!)
  • jacobhyatt91
    jacobhyatt91 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    The Overhead Squat is probably the only one i'll never try...looks like a brutal injury just waiting to happen
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Direct ab work. Since I do a lot of compound lifts, plyometrics, kickbox, and have to practice "holding" my legs out on kicks, direct ab work is something I don't do but maybe once a month.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    For the most part, just avoid boring exercise you hate. Have fun.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Everything that doesn't mimic the natural body movement, ie. leg presses -- much rather do barbell squats.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Cardio, because I hate it
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    The ones I don't like doing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid this exercise.

bad-exercises.jpg
    Lol, another reason why some trainers should have their certs revoked.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Cardio, cuz I get bored very quickly, and also because lifting has changed my body in ways cardio never will.
  • notdebby
    notdebby Posts: 58
    Options
    I don't do any kind of aerobics. I'm just not coordinated enough. I do have one of those Leslie Sansone videos that I'll do in the winter months or when it's raining out and I suppose that could be considered a type of aerobics but it's mainly just walking in places so it's not so bad.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I avoid step aerobics classes because I am a clutz and have no coordination. I'd much rather take a spin class or kick boxing any day!

I used to avoid running on the treadmill, but the elliptical got too easy so I am giving running another chance. Hating the shin splints I get while running, but I am hoping I won't get them when my legs get stronger!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Exercise bike. Hurts my butt.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I never do spin classes because I hate it. In fact, I don't do stuff I don't like. Thank god I like mud runs and picking up heavy stuff.