Space

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    I actually think that's that airplane the simulates space.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4sZ3qe6PiI
  • cee134
    You can see another galaxy with the naked eye: the Andromeda Galaxy, which is 2.2 million light years away.

ngm0p9k180ig.png
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Couple neat satellite facts I was reading about this weekend.

First, they just did the first 500+ kilometers deployment of a satellite for orbit this weekend with another scheduled today or tomorrow. This increases the orbital life span from around 9 months to about two years. That is a huge ROI. Just something cool I learned when I was checking out CubeSats, which I think is the next wave of appliance style satellites, ala drone style deployment, low costs for launch and operation, with very narrow specific missions.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Has anyone in here read Coming of Age in the Milky Way?
  • NorthCascades
    1200 mm lens?
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Does anyone get views like this anymore?

JweLNq6.jpg

To be honest, the only time I had a view like that was last year. I rented a cabin up in the mountains and every night, I sat in the hot tub star gazing. It was absolutely gorgeous. One particular night it started snowing. One of the best most tantalizing moments I have ever had. The sky was still amazingly clear and bright, with everything but my head submerged in the hot tub and cold snow flakes hitting my face.
  • NorthCascades
    Diablo Lake and Highway 20

30482859224_7c762b87db_o_d.jpg
  • NorthCascades
    Skagit River and Highway 20

18806683886_bf417ffddc_o_d.jpg

SR 20 = The North Cascades Highway, FYI.
  • NorthCascades
    "Teanaway Confluence" is my name for the place because there isn't an official one. Just where North Fork Road and Middle Fork Road meet.

31160819712_b94847f472_o_d.jpg
  • NorthCascades
    Somewhere in the lower Teanaway, probably the same spot. I think I went out and shot this the night my new/current camera arrived. I was amazed, it did so much better than I expected.

31160819792_0560731971_o_d.jpg
  • NorthCascades
    I can't believe I forgot about those last two for a couple years! The last one made me really happy.
  • cee134
    Westerhout 5 (Sharpless 2-199, LBN 667, Soul Nebula) is an emission nebula located in Cassiopeia.

W5, a radio source within the nebula, spans an area of sky equivalent to four full moons and is about 6,500 light-years away in the constellation Cassiopeia. Like other massive star-forming regions, such as Orion and Carina, W5 contains large cavities that were carved out by radiation and winds from the region's most massive stars. According to the theory of triggered star formation, the carving out of these cavities pushes gas together, causing it to ignite into successive generations of new stars. The image in the gallery above contains some of the best evidence yet for the triggered star formation theory. Scientists analyzing the photo have been able to show that the ages of the stars become progressively and systematically younger with distance from the center of the cavities.[1]

gvz5m55rs849.jpg
  • NorthCascades
    I can't believe I forgot about those last two for a couple years! The last one made me really happy.

I went camping once several years ago in the country around here....middle of nowhere and the sky looked kind of like that. So many stars, I remember thinking that the sky actually looked thick with stars. It is something to see, that's for sure.

A few years ago I hiked up to Heliotrope Ridge on Mt Baker, a gorgeous spot above the tree line and right below the ice cap. I camped cowboy style that night, laid out a sleeping bag under the stars, and that was that. Right next to a pile of rocks to break the wind. It was the middle of August and I had spent just about every weekend night outdoors that summer, so this was no different.

Somebody on the other side had a catapult and was launching flaming boulders over the mountain at me! No, wait, those are shooting stars.

I've made special plans for the Perseid meteor shower ever year since then.

And you're right, the night sky is incredible when you get out into the middle of nowhere.

31282341066_9b4372cc51_o_d.jpg

The wildflowers were incredible.

Sorry for the photo quality. Mediocre camera back then.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member

I went camping once several years ago in the country around here....middle of nowhere and the sky looked kind of like that. So many stars, I remember thinking that the sky actually looked thick with stars. It is something to see, that's for sure.

A few years ago I hiked up to Heliotrope Ridge on Mt Baker, a gorgeous spot above the tree line and right below the ice cap. I camped cowboy style that night, laid out a sleeping bag under the stars, and that was that. Right next to a pile of rocks to break the wind. It was the middle of August and I had spent just about every weekend night outdoors that summer, so this was no different.

Somebody on the other side had a catapult and was launching flaming boulders over the mountain at me! No, wait, those are shooting stars.

I've made special plans for the Perseid meteor shower ever year since then.

And you're right, the night sky is incredible when you get out into the middle of nowhere.

31282341066_9b4372cc51_o_d.jpg

The wildflowers were incredible.

Sorry for the photo quality. Mediocre camera back then.

Gosh those mountains look gorgeous. Wow.
  • cee134
    edited November 2016
    Maximus wrote: »
    How much raw materials would it take to build the Death Star?

The Death Star has a volume of 17.16 quadrillion cubic meters. At 1/10 volume, we'll need 1.71 Quadrillion cubic meters of steel, weighing in at 134 quadrillion tons.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Does anyone get views like this anymore?

JweLNq6.jpg

Is that another galaxy beyond the stars? Or a lone cloud?
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Cats, dogs, spiders, fish, monkeys, chimps, reptiles, and frogs, nematodes, have all been up to space. I wonder if birds have gone up? I don't remember hearing about birds in space.

https://youtu.be/g_Oxw4g2URc
  • cee134
    Or you attach a giant laser beam on the planets head and call it a day. #TheForceAwakens #SharksWithLaserbeamsAttachedToTheirHead
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    CNN has a documentary interviewing military brass about space. :/
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    I understand it, now. The color gray. I've got a strong feeling I'm on the right path.