Space

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    The Sun makes a full rotation once every 25-35 days.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    YvetteDem wrote: »
    Feeling lonely?

On the Apollo 11 mission Michael Collins continued to orbit the moon in the command module while Armstrong and Aldrin walked on the moon. For 48 minutes he was on the side of the moon facing away from earth with no radio contact to either Earth or the astronauts.

Btw this is [to scale] how far away the moon is from Earth linearly.

twstusi7bqux.png

that do not make right in my mind. if moon so far why it so big when i look at night?

Because it's relatively close compared to the other stars. The sun seems closer, but that's because it's so big.

cee134, correct me if I'm wrong.
  • cee134
    Feeling lonely?

On the Apollo 11 mission Michael Collins continued to orbit the moon in the command module while Armstrong and Aldrin walked on the moon. For 48 minutes he was on the side of the moon facing away from earth with no radio contact to either Earth or the astronauts.

Btw this is [to scale] how far away the moon is from Earth linearly.

twstusi7bqux.png

that do not make right in my mind. if moon so far why it so big when i look at night?

Because it's relatively close compared to the other stars. The sun seems closer, but that's because it's so big.

cee134, correct me if I'm wrong.

:)

t4s6v7m1tjgj.jpg
  • cee134
    i dont think it that far. its big when i look. i say it like 5000 km away

The Ebbinghaus illusion. The lower central circle surrounded by small circles might represent the horizon moon accompanied by objects of smaller visual extent, while the upper central circle represents the zenith moon surrounded by expanses of sky of larger visual extent. Although both central circles are actually the same size, the lower one looks larger to many people.

ep7ha6qjss4d.png
  • zenaxe
    zenaxe Posts: 203 Member
    i dont think it that far. its big when i look. i say it like 5000 km away

It seems close because we can see it so well. Sometimes it's closer depending where it is in it's orbit but on average it's 240,000 miles (~380,000+ km). We measure the distance to the moon often using reflectors and timing how long it takes for the light to come back.

PlaydohPants =smarty pants
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    IslandTime wrote: »
    z3n0f7jmtm66.png

The best thing about space, are space kittens!

Looks to me the best thing is space PIZZA!

Do NOT focus on the pizza!! I gained weight just looking at it LOL

It's ok! Less gravity = weigh less

But less gravity does not equal less mass or volume

Sorry! Lol.

Which is why I said weight

:D That's just psuedo-science

Real funny. I noted you made a big deal about my opinion and quotes and then said basically nothing when I responded. But then you bring it up again with playdoh pants.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    z3n0f7jmtm66.png

Sorry! Lol.

Real funny. I noted you made a big deal about my opinion and quotes and then said basically nothing when I responded. But then you bring it up again with playdoh pants.

I'm guessing because we don't want to turn this thread into a religious debate.

Had nothing to do with religion. It had to do with the scientific method being pushed to the wayside, and speaking about hypotheticals to the general public as facts when they know the general public may not be able to differentiate between the two, as in the case of Cosmos.

Moreover, it was he who made a big deal of it, not me.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    And yet here we are...

Nuance.

• zenaxe
    And there's the thing, I'm a telescope hobbyist...am I the only one on the planet who has not actually observed the Milky Way Galaxy in the way that some pictures capture it? Even with dark skies. I'm doing it wrong but would love to see it. y
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    z3n0f7jmtm66.png

Sorry! Lol.

well yeah...cause I'm a *kitten*

Also, we differ in opinion and that is fine. I respect your views about what you said, and while I disagree, I at least understand your perspective.

Cool.
  • zenaxe
    Hi...no i know the colors are filtered, although I am enthralled by the colors put on planetary gases when I look at Nebula etc....but just the cluster of the Milky Way....I can never find it...another rant, I've only seen Saturn once through a small telescope and it was impressive. I've been looking ever since. Even though I may know where it is in the sky I spend more time looking and give up. Space rant. Thanks for listening.
  • zenaxe
    From here

http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/imagesvideo/imagesbyvoyager.html

You can see images taken by Voyager 1, the farthest man-made object from Earth

Outstanding...thanks for posting. Love this stuff.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Space is truly unfathomable. I love watching cosmos with my girl Mary. Blows my mind every time!

The television show Cosmos is pseudoscience in large degree.

That's cool. You must be significantly more intelligent than Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Please, please teach me everything you know. :|

Neil Degrasse Tyson thinks we are "most likely" living inside a computer simulation.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    zenaxe wrote: »
    And there's the thing, I'm a telescope hobbyist...am I the only one on the planet who has not actually observed the Milky Way Galaxy in the way that some pictures capture it? Even with dark skies. I'm doing it wrong but would love to see it. y

Because reality does not match the picture they paint for us?
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    My favorite video on space, measurement, and perspective. It's an oldie but goodie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fKBhvDjuy0
  • cee134
    cee134 wrote: »
    The Sun makes a full rotation once every 25-35 days.

And would you like to share with the class why it's "25-35"? :smiley:

It's the sun. It does what it wants.

But also:

The Sun has a north and south pole, just as the Earth does, and rotates on its axis. However, unlike Earth which rotates at all latitudes every 24 hours, the Sun rotates every 25 days at the equator and takes progressively longer to rotate at higher latitudes, up to 35 days at the poles. This is known as differential rotation. Because the Sun is not solid, but is instead a giant ball of gas and plasma, different parts of the Sun spin at different rates.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    edited November 2016
    Cosmos/Neil Degrasse Tyson parody (it has bleeped out profanity, so you might want to turn it down if at work):

https://player.vimeo.com/video/138219734
  • zenaxe
    zenaxe wrote: »

Because reality does not match the picture they paint for us?

If you're referencing my not yet experienced the Milky Way comments, I do know that it's right there in front of me because we live in the middle of this galaxy. I just haven't seen the formation that I want to see. Reality is always better than what gets painted.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    I think it's interesting that the moon has a stronger influence on the tides even though the sun is larger. It's also interesting that people studying this stuff think there could be a correlation between tidal distress, the moon and triggering of earthquakes. It's not a matter of if an earthquake strikes where I live, it's just a matter of when living on the West Coast. What if space could help predict when Earthquakes were going to happen.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tide.html

Maybe they could just stop fracking.

• thisonetimeatthegym
    I think it's interesting that the moon has a stronger influence on the tides even though the sun is larger. It's also interesting that people studying this stuff think there could be a correlation between tidal distress, the moon and triggering of earthquakes. It's not a matter of if an earthquake strikes where I live, it's just a matter of when living on the West Coast. What if space could help predict when Earthquakes were going to happen.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tide.html

Maybe they could just stop fracking.

Yes because there was never an earthquake before fracking. lol

The findings of the Unites States Geological Survey, under "induced eartquakes."

"Between the years 1973–2008, there was an average of 21 earthquakes of magnitude three and larger in the central and eastern United States. This rate has ballooned to over 600 M3+ earthquakes in 2014 and over 1000 in 2015. Through August 2016, over 500 M3+ earthquakes have occurred in 2016."

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/induced/

They don't blame it on fracking, they blame it on injected wastewater, some of which is done during fracking.