Space

Options

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    YvetteDem wrote: »
    i see tv shows and spaceships go fast. I not know how they go fast but i know smart men have, uh how you say, theories on Alcubierre warp drives which is a speculative idea based on a solution of Einstein's field equations in general relativity as proposed by theoretical physicist Miguel Alcubierre, by which a spacecraft could achieve apparent faster-than-light travel if a configurable energy-density field lower than that of vacuum could be created. No?

The problem with warp drives are they are too slow for viable travel through space. I like Star Wars Method of warping space to shorten the distance between 2 points, which is what the Star Wars hyperspace is suppose to be. But the best is Dune's "folding" space to achieve instantaneous translation (e.g. the Dune universe's Holtzman effect).
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    YvetteDem wrote: »
    ...Alcubierre warp drives which is a speculative idea based on a solution of Einstein's field equations in general relativity as proposed by theoretical physicist Miguel Alcubierre, by which a spacecraft could achieve apparent faster-than-light travel if a configurable energy-density field lower than that of vacuum could be created.

All the warp talk, warp bubbles and such for travel are based on general relativity. That is, space-time-mass-matter-energy-gravity are all interrelated. The relativity is that all points can move and balance. Until recently, efforts for travel have always been tied to modifying velocity(energy) to warp relativity, but we know that does not work alone in a vacuum. What shows promise are things like Quantum Entanglement Communication and other faster than light work.

FWIW - Einstein was f'in amazing. Again, look at the movie Thor, which ties to the Einstein-Rosen paper, and using FTL and Quantum theory for travel (the bridge).

I think these break throughs are fairly close. Like within 100 years.

If we don't self-destruct in our own entitlements and personal agendas.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    The Earth’s revolution time increases .0001 seconds annually.

Love makes the world go round. With the obesity epidemic, there's more to love every year.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I think it's interesting that the moon has a stronger influence on the tides even though the sun is larger. It's also interesting that people studying this stuff think there could be a correlation between tidal distress, the moon and triggering of earthquakes. It's not a matter of if an earthquake strikes where I live, it's just a matter of when living on the West Coast. What if space could help predict when Earthquakes were going to happen.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tide.html

For the record, this is why you want to bike up big hills at high tide. Gravitational assist from the moon.
  • cee134
    Options
    NASA conducts second round of fire experiments in space

Sample 9 is a piece of plexiglass used to make spacecraft windows.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAvXxbeLwbU
  • cee134
    Options
    Here's what the incredible leap in weather imaging is going to look like with the new GOES-R satellite

GOES-R satellite image comparison

xh9lpniufeat.jpg
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I think it's interesting that the moon has a stronger influence on the tides even though the sun is larger. It's also interesting that people studying this stuff think there could be a correlation between tidal distress, the moon and triggering of earthquakes. It's not a matter of if an earthquake strikes where I live, it's just a matter of when living on the West Coast. What if space could help predict when Earthquakes were going to happen.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tide.html

For the record, this is why you want to bike up big hills at high tide. Gravitational assist from the moon.

What kind of hills we talkin and how much assist? It they are ant hills, count me in. If you're talking about biking hills like Hawks Hill in the Marin Headlands, then I would need more than a gravitational assist from the moon and tides on a bike. Paging a spaceship.

https://www.relive.cc/view/754255304
  • cee134
    Options
    I actually think that's that airplane the simulates space.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4sZ3qe6PiI
  • cee134
    Options
    You can see another galaxy with the naked eye: the Andromeda Galaxy, which is 2.2 million light years away.

ngm0p9k180ig.png
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Couple neat satellite facts I was reading about this weekend.

First, they just did the first 500+ kilometers deployment of a satellite for orbit this weekend with another scheduled today or tomorrow. This increases the orbital life span from around 9 months to about two years. That is a huge ROI. Just something cool I learned when I was checking out CubeSats, which I think is the next wave of appliance style satellites, ala drone style deployment, low costs for launch and operation, with very narrow specific missions.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Has anyone in here read Coming of Age in the Milky Way?