Space

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    A new weather satellite has relayed its first images of Earth back to scientists, and the new collection includes an updated version of the iconic "Blue Marble" image of Earth.

rkd6wubq8pkg.jpg
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Our home is sooo beautiful. :)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    cee134 wrote: »
    A new weather satellite has relayed its first images of Earth back to scientists, and the new collection includes an updated version of the iconic "Blue Marble" image of Earth.

rkd6wubq8pkg.jpg

That is the first GEOS-16 image with the new imaging. F'in FANTASTIC! <3

That image isn't even the full res of what it can do, which is said to be over 400 megapixel. That I would LOVE to see.
  • cee134
    Cassini Captures Another Stunning View of Saturn and Its Rings

pplm6srmslax.jpg
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ wrote: »

rkd6wubq8pkg.jpg

That image isn't even the full res of what it can do, which is said to be over 400 megapixel. That I would LOVE to see.

That resolution is amazing...I can see Russia

owcamecqx8xg.jpg
  • cee134

rkd6wubq8pkg.jpg

That resolution is amazing...I can see Russia

owcamecqx8xg.jpg

I thought that too. Good call.
  • Timshel_
    This should be of interest to any space folks, and figured it was timely with all the Space X Feb launches. Lots of CubeSats and various commercial payloads going up. Is this the biggest private investment frontier? Or still too far out for consideration?

http://www.spacex.com
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member

rkd6wubq8pkg.jpg

I was wondering if somebody would beat me to posting this.

This one is roughly 10,000 by 10,000 pixels. Looks like winter in the PNW.

https://www.nesdis.noaa.gov/sites/default/files/assets/images/abi_full_disk_jan_15_2017_high_res.jpg
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Is it time for a new song?
    f469e714c5d6350abc7cab94e3c5e48c.jpg
  • Timshel_

rkd6wubq8pkg.jpg

I was wondering if somebody would beat me to posting this.

This one is roughly 10,000 by 10,000 pixels. Looks like winter in the PNW.

https://www.nesdis.noaa.gov/sites/default/files/assets/images/abi_full_disk_jan_15_2017_high_res.jpg

Kinda space related, but being a visual artist and producer/director in a past life, this Lytro company has my geek panties dropping hard.

https://www.lytro.com/

Lytro Cinema is a 755 MP ( https://www.lytro.com/cinema ) camera that maps every single pixel in 3D space. The possibilities are endless and the lines between reality and augmented reality will disappear soon.

Watch the videos and check out the 3D stuff there.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/161949709

• cee134
    Did you know there is actually a ring of pizza around the earth that scientist don't want you to know about.

4knjtkq1pd4a.jpg
  • cee134
    Jupiter's moon Io.

vxtinlokumo1.png
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Love!Love!Love! I watch space shows before I go to sleep at night. Fascinating! <3
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    edited January 2017
    Space is the awesome, and the people that travel there bring a special kind'a valor. Today and tomorrow are anniversaries of some of the horrific losses in the USA's space program that illustrate the risks that these people step right up to take so that they can get to space.
    • 50-years ago today, 27 January 1967 - Electrical fire in Apollo 1's capsule during a stand-test claimed Virgil "Gus" Grissom, Edward H. White, and Roger Chaffee.
    • 31-years ago tomorrow, 28 January 1986 - The space shuttle STS-51-L slid sideways at Mach 1.3 and disintegrated taking Gregory Jarvis, Christa McAuliffe, Ronald McNair, Ellison Onizuka, Judith Resnik, Dick Scobee, and Michael J. Smith.
  • Timshel_
    Jupiter's moon Io.

vxtinlokumo1.png

Can't tell you how giddy I am to be alive in this day and age. Things we only imagined we now have true photos of...and they are even more beautiful and awe inspiring that we did image!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Jupiter's moon Io.

vxtinlokumo1.png

How was this image made?
  • cee134
    Jupiter's moon Io.

vxtinlokumo1.png

How was this image made?

All I know:

Gliding past Jupiter at the turn of the millennium, the Cassini spacecraft captured this awe inspiring view of active Io with the largest gas giant as a backdrop,

m75h6zkbmo0s.gif
  • Timshel_
    ...the Cassini spacecraft captured this awe inspiring view of active Io with the largest gas giant as a backdrop,

Yup. Here is a better view with the gas giant. You can see the small moon in the front.

xb579tyaj0rk.png

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Space is the awesome, and the people that travel there bring a special kind'a valor. Today and tomorrow are anniversaries of some of the horrific losses in the USA's space program that illustrate the risks that these people step right up to take so that they can get to space.
    • 50-years ago today, 27 January 1967 - Electrical fire in Apollo 1's capsule during a stand-test claimed Virgil "Gus" Grissom, Edward H. White, and Roger Chaffee.
    • 31-years ago tomorrow, 28 January 1986 - The space shuttle STS-51-L slid sideways at Mach 1.3 and disintegrated taking Gregory Jarvis, Christa McAuliffe, Ronald McNair, Ellison Onizuka, Judith Resnik, Dick Scobee, and Michael J. Smith.

I remember when the Challenger disaster happened - didn't realise it was that long ago! Now I feel old.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Jupiter's moon Io.

vxtinlokumo1.png

How was this image made?

All I know:

Gliding past Jupiter at the turn of the millennium, the Cassini spacecraft captured this awe inspiring view of active Io with the largest gas giant as a backdrop,

m75h6zkbmo0s.gif

Wow wow wow. Imagine how sophisticated and evidently accurate their calculations had to have been. From launch day, they had to know the trajectory of Cassini that could fly by and observe Jupiter in 11 years, and supposedly Saturn in 30! Wow!