Space

Options

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Did you know there is actually a ring of pizza around the earth that scientist don't want you to know about.

4knjtkq1pd4a.jpg
  • cee134
    Options
    Jupiter's moon Io.

vxtinlokumo1.png
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Love!Love!Love! I watch space shows before I go to sleep at night. Fascinating! <3
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Space is the awesome, and the people that travel there bring a special kind'a valor. Today and tomorrow are anniversaries of some of the horrific losses in the USA's space program that illustrate the risks that these people step right up to take so that they can get to space.
    • 50-years ago today, 27 January 1967 - Electrical fire in Apollo 1's capsule during a stand-test claimed Virgil "Gus" Grissom, Edward H. White, and Roger Chaffee.
    • 31-years ago tomorrow, 28 January 1986 - The space shuttle STS-51-L slid sideways at Mach 1.3 and disintegrated taking Gregory Jarvis, Christa McAuliffe, Ronald McNair, Ellison Onizuka, Judith Resnik, Dick Scobee, and Michael J. Smith.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Jupiter's moon Io.

vxtinlokumo1.png

Can't tell you how giddy I am to be alive in this day and age. Things we only imagined we now have true photos of...and they are even more beautiful and awe inspiring that we did image!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Jupiter's moon Io.

vxtinlokumo1.png

How was this image made?
  • cee134
    Options
    Jupiter's moon Io.

vxtinlokumo1.png

How was this image made?

All I know:

Gliding past Jupiter at the turn of the millennium, the Cassini spacecraft captured this awe inspiring view of active Io with the largest gas giant as a backdrop,

m75h6zkbmo0s.gif
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    ...the Cassini spacecraft captured this awe inspiring view of active Io with the largest gas giant as a backdrop,

Yup. Here is a better view with the gas giant. You can see the small moon in the front.

xb579tyaj0rk.png

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Space is the awesome, and the people that travel there bring a special kind'a valor. Today and tomorrow are anniversaries of some of the horrific losses in the USA's space program that illustrate the risks that these people step right up to take so that they can get to space.
    • 50-years ago today, 27 January 1967 - Electrical fire in Apollo 1's capsule during a stand-test claimed Virgil "Gus" Grissom, Edward H. White, and Roger Chaffee.
    • 31-years ago tomorrow, 28 January 1986 - The space shuttle STS-51-L slid sideways at Mach 1.3 and disintegrated taking Gregory Jarvis, Christa McAuliffe, Ronald McNair, Ellison Onizuka, Judith Resnik, Dick Scobee, and Michael J. Smith.

I remember when the Challenger disaster happened - didn't realise it was that long ago! Now I feel old.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Jupiter's moon Io.

vxtinlokumo1.png

How was this image made?

All I know:

Gliding past Jupiter at the turn of the millennium, the Cassini spacecraft captured this awe inspiring view of active Io with the largest gas giant as a backdrop,

m75h6zkbmo0s.gif

Wow wow wow. Imagine how sophisticated and evidently accurate their calculations had to have been. From launch day, they had to know the trajectory of Cassini that could fly by and observe Jupiter in 11 years, and supposedly Saturn in 30! Wow!
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    ...the Cassini spacecraft captured this awe inspiring view of active Io with the largest gas giant as a backdrop,

Yup. Here is a better view with the gas giant. You can see the small moon in the front.

xb579tyaj0rk.png

:D Haaah! :D
  • cee134
    Options
    Mars Curiosity Rover - Wheel Wear and Tear - 27 January 2017

3hvfhz0rq89e.jpg
  • cee134
    Options
    The Cat's Eye Nebula from Hubble

3wwg6lp2o4qa.jpg