Space

Options

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    over 9 years, 3 billion miles, and countless man hours for planning, coordination, and development.... <3
    I should have been in the space program. Kick myself for not doing and being more.

Anyway, Pluto landing

https://youtu.be/xmqDpuDLVYw
  • Timshel_
    Options
    The deep red coloring in Pluto’s southwestern hemisphere is likely caused by hydrocarbons called tholins, which form in Pluto’s atmosphere. After exposure to direct sunlight, its reddish ice turns to vapor and drifts toward the north pole, where it regains its icy form on the surface. This pattern of melting and freezing is probably why we’re seeing distinct latitudinal color bands.

The Nasa website has been crawling this last week or so. I would assume there is a lot of traffic with all this. Lots more pics and updates here!

https://www.nasa.gov/nh/pluto-the-other-red-planet/
  • Timshel_
    Options
    @Timshel_ that reminds me, NASA tweeted something about Pluto's colors...

Yeah, there is a lot of speculation of what causes the red, and I found that succinct explanation on another site.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    And there is SOOOO much stuff coming out of NASA atm with the Pluto stuff, I love it.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Night sky over Yosemite.

2j5fdyt5zcva.jpg
  • cee134
    Options
    M78 and Orion Dust Reflections

iks9zf6tczsu.jpg
  • cee134
    Options
    A new weather satellite has relayed its first images of Earth back to scientists, and the new collection includes an updated version of the iconic "Blue Marble" image of Earth.

rkd6wubq8pkg.jpg
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Our home is sooo beautiful. :)
  • Timshel_
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    A new weather satellite has relayed its first images of Earth back to scientists, and the new collection includes an updated version of the iconic "Blue Marble" image of Earth.

rkd6wubq8pkg.jpg

That is the first GEOS-16 image with the new imaging. F'in FANTASTIC! <3

That image isn't even the full res of what it can do, which is said to be over 400 megapixel. That I would LOVE to see.