Space

Options

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    I was reading this at work and wondering if there was supposed to be a link to explain what "diametrically opposed" is...I looked it up, unsurprisingly it didn't help me understand!

I couldn't find the link either. The only thing I found online was about how planets line up that way.

0ps72cpdi424.jpg

I did find this:

wn3z9bjxwfga.jpg

https://oppositionalgeometryblog.wordpress.com/

My best guess is it has to do with position in a 3D environment.
  • cee134
    Options
    Neptune

ln6i9dmsk3fv.jpg

This picture of Neptune was produced from the last whole planet images taken through the green and orange filters on NASA's Voyager 2 narrow angle camera. The images were taken at a range of 4.4 million miles from the planet, 4 days and 20 hours before closest approach.

The picture shows the Great Dark Spot and its companion bright smudge; on the west limb the fast moving bright feature called Scooter and the little dark spot are visible. These clouds were seen to persist for as long as Voyager's cameras could resolve them. North of these, a bright cloud band similar to the south polar streak may be seen.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Had a long discussion about privatization of space travel this last week after SpaceX relaunched a previously launched rocket. Trying to understand why NASA couldn't have, or hasn't designed the same cost saving measures for their exploration.

Anyway, the discussion came up about private space travel that is coming around, and I was curious. Would you go? I mean, do you have a real and factual plan to save up and do it? I have had a side savings account that was for buying a dream car when I retire, but the last few years I have been seriously contemplating this.

Thoughts?

Blue Origin Space Travel
  • Timshel_
    Options
    I also have this billion dollar idea to become a space garbage man, but that's a whole other discussion.
  • Timshel_
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    Had a long discussion about privatization of space travel this last week after SpaceX relaunched a previously launched rocket. Trying to understand why NASA couldn't have, or hasn't designed the same cost saving measures for their exploration.

Anyway, the discussion came up about private space travel that is coming around, and I was curious. Would you go? I mean, do you have a real and factual plan to save up and do it? I have had a side savings account that was for buying a dream car when I retire, but the last few years I have been seriously contemplating this.

Thoughts?

Blue Origin Space Travel

By private space travel do you mean anyone with enough money can pay for a trip as you would a plane ticket like just for the sake of doing it? Sorry if I didn't understand the question correctly.

Yup. Virgin Galactic is currently charging around $200k for a ticket to travel in space. Since space tourism is in its' infancy, we can surely expect prices to drop over the next 10 years. By then I will have the money saved to do such a trip and spend 30 minutes or so in space. I am seriously considering this.

My issue is, with some of the medical crap this last year I am not sure physically I could. Not so much worried about single trips for issue with my body though, cuz i'll be almost 60 years old and, what the hell...I wanna collect memories and experiences more than anything. And space has been something in my life since I was young enough to start dreaming.

Edit to add, as of this week only 559 people have been in space.
  • Timshel_
    edited April 2017
    Options
    How far into space are we talking? Like space station at orbital speed or like to the moon...or not even as far as the ISS?

So far they are only talking below traditional LLO (low level orbit), so around 60 miles up, but in 10 years they may hit that true 100 mile mark. Edit again to add, that would be my goal...to spend a few nights in space to orbit the Earth.

There is a giant cave in Arizona that you can spend the night in. I have been down in it, but haven't done the overnight yet. That will be soon too.

http://azc.cc/2jNUJKs
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Thoughts?

Blue Origin Space Travel

My first thoughts were how many people would be in the spacecraft and how long the trip would be. My first hesitation is being trapped in a small area with another person, if I could go alone I would say yes, as long as it wasn't for a really long time.
    I looked up the planned trip for next year and it says 2 people for about a one week trip around the moon.
    Assuming I could afford it, and if I felt that I would be OK with being around the other person for a week, I would go.
    I do not have a savings plan organized for something like this. I can only imagine the cost of such a trip would make it something I would not be able to afford in the foreseeable future.

*edit, I could not watch the blue origin link until now, so my answer was not based on that.
    It would depend on how long the trip was, and 6 people on board would make it seem a lot more crowded to me, that would be a big consideration.
    *2nd edit, I read that it is a 30 minute trip? Hmm that might be too short for the cost, definitely too short for $200k!
    ...and maybe I should stop answering questions at work when it takes me an hour of interrupted typing to post!
  • cee134
    Options

Thoughts?

Blue Origin Space Travel

My first thoughts were how many people would be in the spacecraft and how long the trip would be. My first hesitation is being trapped in a small area with another person, if I could go alone I would say yes, as long as it wasn't for a really long time.
    I looked up the planned trip for next year and it says 2 people for about a one week trip around the moon.
    Assuming I could afford it, and if I felt that I would be OK with being around the other person for a week, I would go.
    I do not have a savings plan organized for something like this. I can only imagine the cost of such a trip would make it something I would not be able to afford in the foreseeable future.

*edit, I could not watch the blue origin link until now, so my answer was not based on that.
    It would depend on how long the trip was, and 6 people on board would make it seem a lot more crowded to me, that would be a big consideration.

One day it could just be a day trip.

nddno12uw23l.jpg
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

Thoughts?

Blue Origin Space Travel

nddno12uw23l.jpg

lol, if it was a day trip I'd be all over that!
  • ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

Blue Origin Space Travel

nddno12uw23l.jpg

The New Horizons probe only took like 9 hours to get to the moon!

But until @cee134 builds his Park there's nothing to do there

that's just what they want you to think.

Are *they* the government or are *they* the moon people?

Do they need to be exclusive of one another? :open_mouth:
  • ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    *recovers tin foil hat from back of closet*
  • Vikka_V
    Options

Thoughts?

Blue Origin Space Travel

nddno12uw23l.jpg

The New Horizons probe only took like 9 hours to get to the moon!

But until @cee134 builds his Park there's nothing to do there

Lol
    While a park would be awesome, I'd amuse myself, I always do!
    I like to just lay back in a recliner and stare at the sky