Space

Options

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Cyclone Debbie over Australia as seen by members of Expedition 50 aboard the International Space Station on Mar 27, 2017.

u1uad67gq3oh.jpg
  • cee134
    Options
    aw9dcrwpd44l.jpg

The small crater on the floor of the larger crater is called Gasa Crater. Gullies dissect the rims of both craters, as shown in this image captured by NASA 2001 Mars Odyssey spacecraft. These craters are located in Eridania Planitia.
  • cee134
    Options
    ckxkejgwmpni.jpg

NASA Solar Dynamics Observatory sees the sun has been virtually spotless, as in no sunspots, a 11-day spotless stretch not seen since the last solar minimum many years ago
  • cee134
    Options
    Today's false color image shows part of Gale Crater.

The Curiosity Rover is located in Gale Crater.

drntrbnvf4as.jpg

The THEMIS VIS camera contains 5 filters. The data from different filters can be combined in multiple ways to create a false color image. These false color images may reveal subtle variations of the surface not easily identified in a single band image.
  • cee134
    Options
    nsux1hwv3g2m.jpg

This image from NASA Terra spacecraft shows the Diavik Mine in northern Canada.The largest diamond found in North America came from the Diavik Mine. The Foxfire diamond weighs an impressive 187 carats.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    9218_dc11_480.gif
  • cee134
    Options
    u9xh93gv9il9.jpg

This image of the active galaxy Centaurus A was taken by NASA's Galaxy Evolution Explorer on June 7, 2003. The galaxy is located 30 million light-years from Earth and is seen edge on, with a prominent dust lane across the major axis.

In this image the near ultraviolet emission is represented as green, and the far ultraviolet emission as blue. The galaxy exhibits jets of high energy particles, which were traced by the X-ray emission and measured by NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory.

These X-ray emissions are seen as red in the image. Several regions of ultraviolet emission can be seen where the jets of high energy particles intersect with hydrogen clouds in the upper left corner of the image. The emission shown may be the result of recent star formation triggered by the compression of gas by the jet.
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    One of my co-workers is really into taking pictures of the sky. And he's super talented at it. He has all the right equipment. I love looking at his pictures.
  • cee134
    Options
    This view was taken from a vantage point about 28 degrees above Saturn's equator. The image was taken with the Cassini spacecraft wide-angle camera on Dec. 2, 2016.

857h40po5scf.jpg

When imaged by NASA Cassini spacecraft at infrared wavelengths that pierce the planet upper haze layer, the high-speed winds of Saturn atmosphere produce watercolor-like patterns. With no solid surface creating atmospheric drag, winds on Saturn can reach speeds of more than 1,100 miles per hour (1,800 kilometers per hour) -- some of the fastest in the solar system.
  • cee134
    Options
    The view members of NASA’s Engineering Management Board had in looking up the Vehicle Assembly Building’s High Bay 3 at Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

6wm1exdou8ur.jpg

The platforms in High Bay 3, including the one on which the board members are standing, were designed to surround and provide access to NASA’s Space Launch System and Orion spacecraft.
  • cee134
    Options
    ekep6een7a0m.jpg

This composite of 30 images of asteroid 2014 JO25 was generated with radar data collected using NASA Goldstone Solar System Radar in California Mojave Desert.
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    I heard something mentioned this morning about an asteroid being visible from earth sometime in the near future. It won't happen again for another 500 years. Anyone else hear this?
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, you need to know about space can be found here. Thank you, @MeeseeksAndDestroy for educating me on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOGuF9QOs1k

• Timshel_
    Options
    Finally seen some new Space's Deepest Secrets episodes. Some really good ones yesterday about planet atmospheres, some news about the James Webb ELT, updates on a bunch of other stuff. <3

Worth the watch

I think they have season one available too!

http://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-shows/spaces-deepest-secrets-2/
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, you need to know about space can be found here. Thank you, @MeeseeksAndDestroy for educating me on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOGuF9QOs1k

Well that was...something

And quite catchy.
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    I heard something mentioned this morning about an asteroid being visible from earth sometime in the near future. It won't happen again for another 500 years. Anyone else hear this?

Yes I heard it. We are going to try the google sky map app to see it.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    @Timshel_ wrote: »
    Finally seen some new Space's Deepest Secrets episodes. Some really good ones yesterday about planet atmospheres, some news about the James Webb ELT, updates on a bunch of other stuff. <3

Worth the watch

I think they have season one available too!

http://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-shows/spaces-deepest-secrets-2/

Ooooh I wanna watch!

I was all giddy last night.