Space

Options

Replies

• SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Do we have pictures of the center of our galaxy?

I believe ours is a black hole

Well, that can't be good, right?

I think it's dormant or at least it was. A dormant one can't be to bad eh?

Well, yeah unless someone throws some fertilizer on it and works the roots then it could come back strong.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Can someone give me a lay-gist as to what makes a black hole become dormant and what might make it become active again, if that is something that happens.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    My new pickup line in here when girls are talking nerdy will be, "Baby you are hotter than Eta Carinae"
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Lapland Finland Northern Lights

22rae58osp3h.jpg
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Lapland Finland Northern Lights

22rae58osp3h.jpg

My world, that is amazing!
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I don't think they know what causes them to be dormant or to wake up. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I've read a lot of articles and stuff saying what a black hole is doing when it's dormant or awake but not why it goes off and on. Maybe it's just full :tongue:

Maybe God installed a clapper.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I agree with @Timshel_ above. But I feel like I did too much already to help this thread go off topic. Everything on topic in this thread is great, so let's not get it shut down. :smile:

A few years ago, I read a Carl Sagan book, it was basically telling the story of history from the big bang until modern times. It was a great read.

Sagan wrote that the oceans fell out of the skies. He was referring to icy meteors, which, over the eons, might have accumulated enough water to fill our greatest basins.

Last night I was reading about how this isn't what we think anymore, the Earth was formed with much of its water already here.

I always go back to a episode of Friends when Ross was belittling Phobe for believing in a different theory about evolution, etc. His agrugment was how could she argue against science?. Her response? "Ross, at one time didn't the brightest scientists believe the earth was flat? So you're telling me there is no way current day scientists could be wrong with their theories?"

End of discussion.

Friends - it's where you learn about science and stuff

Cool story, bro.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Aurora from space.

aurora-borealis-from-space-10.jpg
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Noctilucent clouds

10pow6-Tripod-2499x1390.jpg
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Aurora from space.

aurora-borealis-from-space-10.jpg

I just wanna experience it from the ground. On the bucket list.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I've seen them from Slate Peak, at 48 N. In the photos they're green and red, but in real life they looked like a very faint gray cloud over the horizon. Modern cameras are much more sensitive than our eyes.

So, go further north to see them. Or south.

I guess your best bet is in winter because of the longer nights.
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    Is the Aurora from space the Aurora Borealis or the Aurora Australis? Or are there other kinds of Auroras that aren't at the poles?
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    I live in southern Ontario, I have seen the Aurora Borealis in the summer while camping.
    The first time it was a bit freaky 'cause I didn't realize what I was seeing.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Is the Aurora from space the Aurora Borealis or the Aurora Australis? Or are there other kinds of Auroras that aren't at the poles?

I'm going to assume Borealis, because of the cities on the ground. Could be wrong, but I think there are a lot more people living closer to the north than south pole. Those lights could easily be Alaska, Scandinavia, or Russia. I don't know how often auroras would be visible over Australia or New Zealand; I'm guessing you'd have to go further south, and then you wouldn't see city lights. I could be wrong.

I think they only happen at polar regions, but not only on Earth.
    eoy1882bhh05.jpg

These auroras are huge and hundreds of times more energetic than auroras here on Earth
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    Wow, I missed the Jupiter picture, that is amazing
  • Jezreel12
    Jezreel12 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous indeed!
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Halley' Comet
    Appears every 75-76 years, it's last appearance was in 1986. The next chance to see it will be in 2061.

g4ivthso2z3s.jpg
    th.jpg 16.3K
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Halley' Comet
    Appears every 75-76 years, it's last appearance was in 1986. The next chance to see it will be in 2061.

g4ivthso2z3s.jpg

Saw it last time around (kinda!) - I guess there's a slight chance I'll get to see it again! ;) (I'd be about 95 though!)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hard to imagine, but if you went to the beach and grabbed a handful of sand, each grain would signify a star in just our galaxy alone. Now imagine if you were told that the Universe's stars outnumber EVERY GRAIN OF SAND ON EARTH.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png