Space

Options

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, sorry, I missed the news that Canada is invading Sweden and France just nuked Brazil.

Or watch one of the news channels showing North Korea testing missiles for their nuclear missile program yesterday.

Fake news.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, sorry, I missed the news that Canada is invading Sweden and France just nuked Brazil.

Or watch one of the news channels showing North Korea testing missiles for their nuclear missile program yesterday.

Fake news.

So was the landing on the moon. ;)
  • NorthCascades
    edited March 2017
    Options

Do they have boats too? Fox News says they don't even have food. It's one thing to launch a missile, it's another thing to actually conquer and hold another nation. You're moving the goal posts.

EDIT: Sorry everybody. We're not talking about space anymore. I'll stop participating in this line of discussion.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options

Do they have boats too? Fox News says they don't even have food. It's one thing to launch a missile, it's another thing to actually conquer and hold another nation. You're moving the goal posts.

I think we're getting off the space topic here but have you thought about the fact that North Korea won't invade because of our military? Remember "the big stick" theory? Yeah, we have a big stick.

So, space is neat.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    The world has mostly moved beyond military conquest.

I would disagree with that on a few different levels, but specifically in regards to where over half of all governmental spending goes. But still, the US is about pushing democracy, and doing it as a military conquest in concert with many UN countries. And the biggest bargaining chip for a small country to get a seat at the adults table there is a nuclear weapon and/or strong military. So conquest in the sense of subjugation, you are correct. We are not taking over countries, though the middle east is still in those throws. But we use military might and corporate power to control of those without.

Anyway, I am not saying it is misplaced money given the world we live in, but rather that if people in the world weren't a$$hats we could progress the human race exponentially faster and further with that time and money. It was a Disney wish there.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options
    I'm neither smart enough or well-read enough to participate in world politics sooo here's an accurate representation of how the continents formed

etvydcxq9flm.jpeg

That's not really space related either. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I agree with @Timshel_ above. But I feel like I did too much already to help this thread go off topic. Everything on topic in this thread is great, so let's not get it shut down. :smile:

A few years ago, I read a Carl Sagan book, it was basically telling the story of history from the big bang until modern times. It was a great read.

Sagan wrote that the oceans fell out of the skies. He was referring to icy meteors, which, over the eons, might have accumulated enough water to fill our greatest basins.

Last night I was reading about how this isn't what we think anymore, the Earth was formed with much of its water already here.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I agree with @Timshel_ above. But I feel like I did too much already to help this thread go off topic. Everything on topic in this thread is great, so let's not get it shut down. :smile:

A few years ago, I read a Carl Sagan book, it was basically telling the story of history from the big bang until modern times. It was a great read.

Sagan wrote that the oceans fell out of the skies. He was referring to icy meteors, which, over the eons, might have accumulated enough water to fill our greatest basins.

Last night I was reading about how this isn't what we think anymore, the Earth was formed with much of its water already here.

I always go back to a episode of Friends when Ross was belittling Phobe for believing in a different theory about evolution, etc. His agrugment was how could she argue against science?. Her response? "Ross, at one time didn't the brightest scientists believe the earth was flat? So you're telling me there is no way current day scientists could be wrong with their theories?"

End of discussion.

Friends - it's where you learn about science and stuff

• Timshel_
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    The world has mostly moved beyond military conquest.

I would disagree with that on a few different levels, but specifically in regards to where over half of all governmental spending goes.

Just one point I don't want misrepresented is defense and science are very small portions of the overall budget, but I was referring to discretionary spending relationships when I said over half of all governmental spending. But even in terms of the whole budget military spending is usually around 15% and science and education get 1-2% each respectively.

To bring this around...

Amazing picture.

20170322.jpg

• Timshel_
    Options
    Cool spectral work. But anyone else thing Horsehead Nebula looks like Cthulhu?

heic1307b.jpg
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I'm all for space exploration but is there really any benefit to putting a man on Mars other to say we have the ability to do it? It's not like we can set up operations and mine the planet.

I think we should send Matt Damon.

If it were up to me, and the world wasn't full of self-centered idiots, all the military funding and a bunch of other wasted money would go into science and education. So to me, Mars and space exploration are a means within themselves.

Huh. I legit thought you were going to say we'd cure world hunger or something.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Inside a Daya Bay Antineutrino Detector

ro6ltsrkq0vr.jpg
  • Timshel_
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I'm all for space exploration but is there really any benefit to putting a man on Mars other to say we have the ability to do it? It's not like we can set up operations and mine the planet.

I think we should send Matt Damon.

If it were up to me, and the world wasn't full of self-centered idiots, all the military funding and a bunch of other wasted money would go into science and education. So to me, Mars and space exploration are a means within themselves.

Huh. I legit thought you were going to say we'd cure world hunger or something.

Science already has the capability to this and has for years (seed, soil, drought tolerance and pest resistance biotech) but there isn't funding to put transportation and implementation for countries that need it. So again, well funded science would solve MANY world problems.

I will mention, I am not fully on board with genetic mutation or "enhancement" for anything.

And because space...

Updated Mars pic. Great resolution.

https://naked-science.ru/sites/default/files/styles/full_size/public/field/image/mars_0.jpg

mars_0.jpg

• SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options
    Do we have pictures of the center of our galaxy?
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options
    Do we have pictures of the center of our galaxy?

I believe ours is a black hole

Well, that can't be good, right?