• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Fast Stars and Rogue Planets in the Orion Nebula

7adz4nztn01h.jpg
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    ^^ Interesting perspective looking down at the Earth and having an idea of what place you are looking at; also interesting (and pretty) from a visual perspective just looking at the colours and shapes.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    A Strawberry Moon

e0zbjyvw3ckn.jpg
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Another thread on here made me think of this question.

If you farted in space, would you be able to smell it?
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Sooooo, current POTUS signed the NASA Transition Authorization Act of 2017 which did not currently cut the Earth Science division, but also re-enacted the National Space Council to oversee NASA operations and ensure they align with Government wants and needs. Unfortunately, I think the $19+ billion dollar increase is a bit of subterfuge for military spending, as well as POTUS being courted by companies looking to capitalize on privatization of space. We'll see how this plays out over the next few years.

The big thing is the continuation of plans to send manned operations to Mars.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    Sooooo, current POTUS signed the NASA Transition Authorization Act of 2017 which did not currently cut the Earth Science division, but also re-enacted the National Space Council to oversee NASA operations and ensure they align with Government wants and needs. Unfortunately, I think the $19+ billion dollar increase is a bit of subterfuge for military spending, as well as POTUS being courted by companies looking to capitalize on privatization of space. We'll see how this plays out over the next few years.

I'm all for space exploration but is there really any benefit to putting a man on Mars other to say we have the ability to do it? It's not like we can set up operations and mine the planet.

I think we should send Matt Damon.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    An absoluletly dizzying view of just how many stars, planets, and galaxies are out there...from just one of the tiniest piece of Andromeda. We cannot be alone. (recommend 4k)

https://youtu.be/udAL48P5NJU
  • Timshel_
    Options
    One more cool 4k video of Hubble work.

https://youtu.be/R5bkXdiVDg4

• SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options

I'm all for space exploration but is there really any benefit to putting a man on Mars other to say we have the ability to do it? It's not like we can set up operations and mine the planet.

I believe they're currently studying climate changes on Mars in hopes to learn more about climate change on Earth

Dat don' make no sense!
  • Timshel_
    Options

If it were up to me, and the world wasn't full of self-centered idiots, all the military funding and a bunch of other wasted money would go into science and education. So to me, Mars and space exploration are a means within themselves.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

Pretty off topic, but if you haven't read The Man Who Sold the Moon, by RAH, you should check it out.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options

If it were up to me, and the world wasn't full of self-centered idiots, all the military funding and a bunch of other wasted money would go into science and education. So to me, Mars and space exploration are a means within themselves.

With no miltary our country would be conqured in short order by a nation who has no interest in space, science or education.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    The world has mostly moved beyond military conquest.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options
    The world has mostly moved beyond military conquest.

Mmmmm, what galaxy is that world in?
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Oh yeah, sorry, I missed the news that Canada is invading Sweden and France just nuked Brazil.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Oh yeah, sorry, I missed the news that Canada is invading Sweden and France just nuked Brazil.

Or watch one of the news channels showing North Korea testing missiles for their nuclear missile program yesterday.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    Pretty off topic, but if you haven't read The Man Who Sold the Moon, by RAH, you should check it out.

I have not, but will do.