Space

Options

Replies

• Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Astronomy for non math students was one of my favourite courses in university. I have not read through this entire thread but I love the pretty pictures and knowledgeable dialogue :)

I wish I had taken more astronomy in school. I mean I took a lot of physics and all but the astrophysics stuff is more of a strong interest for me. And when I get interested in something I learn it to death before I can move on :lol:

It was an excellent course that the school offered, very well presented. A great way to expose students who wouldn't necessarily have the opportunity otherwise. I got my best grade ever in that class!
    Unfortunately for me that was the end of the road, there were no other courses I could do without math prerequisites.
    I have always had a keen interest in astronomy, I find it quite fascinating. :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    youdowant wrote: »
    Space, to me, means leaving me alone.

Oh there is plenty of alone in outer space! Movies and stuff make it seem like you'd be running into asteroids every 3 feet but really, even in the asteroid belt, the average distance between them is about half the distance from here to the sun.

That's one thing a lot of illustrators leave out. All the *kitten* space. Even just from Mars to Jupiter is ~3.5 times as far as the Sun to Mars. It's pretty empty out there

And yet the Sun's gravitational pull can be felt. Wow wow wow.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Oh there is plenty of alone in outer space! Movies and stuff make it seem like you'd be running into asteroids every 3 feet but really, even in the asteroid belt, the average distance between them is about half the distance from here to the sun.

That's one thing a lot of illustrators leave out. All the *kitten* space. Even just from Mars to Jupiter is ~3.5 times as far as the Sun to Mars. It's pretty empty out there

You're right! Because it's so big! The sun's mass composes about 99.8% of the mass of the solar system!
    :smiley:

WHAT!!!

Everything else put together is only 0.2%????? And I was just starting to feel somewhat significant :(
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    Andromeda–Milky Way collision, what are your thoughts?
    It's bugged me since learning the potential possibilities, not that it will affect my life, but I still wonder.
    What do you think might happen?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

You're right! Because it's so big! The sun's mass composes about 99.8% of the mass of the solar system!
    :smiley:

WHAT!!!

Everything else put together is only 0.2%????? And I was just starting to feel somewhat significant :(

This is the size of the sun to scale with the planets
    That's a gorgeous picture! They posted a video of this size representation earlier in the thread (it went way outside our solar system and Milky Way galaxy as well). The implication to relative masses just didn't jump out at me. I mean, looking at that picture, Jupiter's diameter appears to be about 1/12th the diameter of the sun. I might just be stuck in 2D mode and will compare the volumes of these spheres in proportion to one another in a bit :). Or are the low masses because all planets from Jupiter on, although quite large, are gas giants? Or is the sun just especially dense?
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Andromeda–Milky Way collision, what are your thoughts?
    It's bugged me since learning the potential possibilities, not that it will affect my life, but I still wonder.
    What do you think might happen?

Well since it'll be a few billion years from now it's hard to say because I'm not sure exactly what it'll be disrupting... but I've seen photos of what the sky would look like long before the collision and it's beautiful. A giant galaxy appearing to be frozen in the sky.

I think because the stars in the galaxies are so far apart our solar system would survive but it's hard to say. It'll fuse into one big galaxy and I wish I'd be around for that lol

ETA: just curious, did it bug you in a dreaded sense or like sad you'll miss out sense?

It bugs me in a I want to know what will happen way. Curiosity. Sad I'll miss out I guess.

Also just so curious as to whether the two will merge, or if Milky way will be repelled, pushed away? (I don't know the right word) and what the ramifications of either situation mean for Earth. It's just one of those things that bounces around in my mind sometimes :)

I'm gonna look up that picture you were describing, sounds amazing.
  • tinaka2016
    tinaka2016 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

My daughter is thinking about her future career and is interested in engineering and is fascinated with Space. We are in the U.K. And opportunities seem to be limited. She is currently looking at potential universities in London and Imperial is promising if she gets her grades. Anyway, the task for looking for a summer work placement is virtually nonexistent. So as an alternative she has found a coarse named "Mission Discovery" and get to work with NASA personnel for a week. Have any of you guys heard off it and what's your thoughts?
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Milky Way and Aurora over Antarctica.

gu8so7aejb61.jpg
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    A Space Shuttle Over Los Angeles.

9xivqrazt3e0.jpg
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

9xivqrazt3e0.jpg

I have this one in rotation as one of my desktop backgrounds. :)

tinaka2016 wrote: »
    Hi all,

My daughter is thinking about her future career and is interested in engineering and is fascinated with Space. We are in the U.K. And opportunities seem to be limited. She is currently looking at potential universities in London and Imperial is promising if she gets her grades. Anyway, the task for looking for a summer work placement is virtually nonexistent. So as an alternative she has found a coarse named "Mission Discovery" and get to work with NASA personnel for a week. Have any of you guys heard off it and what's your thoughts?

I haven't heard of it, but I have a friend whose wife works for NASA so I'll ask him if she knows anything!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Every time I see this thread I hear "....the final frontier" in my head
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    Milky Way and Aurora over Antarctica.

gu8so7aejb61.jpg

This is amazing, I have an odd fascination with Antarctica, and what an incredible starscape. I can only imagine what the night skies in Antarctica must look like.
  • tinaka2016
    tinaka2016 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »

I haven't heard of it, but I have a friend whose wife works for NASA so I'll ask him if she knows anything!

- Thank you !
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

9xivqrazt3e0.jpg

If that thing is landing, it better get it gear down pronto!