Space

Options

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    [

that's just what they want you to think.

Annuit coeptis, novus ordo seclorum!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »

Lol
    While a park would be awesome, I'd amuse myself, I always do!
    I like to just lay back in a recliner and stare at the sky

So this?

hw3oslumdhmc.jpg

Actual view.

5nyevqqs8yg8.jpg

• cee134
    edited April 2017
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

Lol

So this?

hw3oslumdhmc.jpg

Actual view.

5nyevqqs8yg8.jpg

Yeah unlike the first pic you definitely won't be seeing stars like that if at all

Not on the sunny side.
    The sky is just awash with stars when you're on the far side of the Moon, and you don't have any sunlight to cut down on the lower intensity, dimmer stars. You see them all, and it's all just a sheet of white. -Al Worden, Apollo 15

I want to see this....

They said it like this: (From Hubble telescope)

vuy3dr1ajo7g.jpg

• Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options

Lol

So this?

hw3oslumdhmc.jpg

Actual view.

5nyevqqs8yg8.jpg

Yes indeed!
    That looks way better than I imagined!
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options

Lol

So this?

hw3oslumdhmc.jpg

Actual view.

5nyevqqs8yg8.jpg

Yeah unlike the first pic you definitely won't be seeing stars like that if at all

ever since i read that description of Jupiter in the 2010 Space Odyssey story, i've wondered what that'd be like to see it on approach. the size of it being so mind-boggling gigantic, it literally fills your entire field of vision where you can't see an edge.

That would be terrifyingly wonderful to see!
  • cee134
    edited April 2017
    Options

Lol

So this?

hw3oslumdhmc.jpg

Actual view.

5nyevqqs8yg8.jpg

Not on the sunny side.
    The sky is just awash with stars when you're on the far side of the Moon, and you don't have any sunlight to cut down on the lower intensity, dimmer stars. You see them all, and it's all just a sheet of white. -Al Worden, Apollo 15

I want to see this....

They said it like this: (From Hubble telescope)

vuy3dr1ajo7g.jpg

Which was on the picture. Then you wouldn't see Earth either lol

Good point. I really am just focused on the wall of stars. I get excited if I can see 100.
  • cee134
    Options
    Hubble Selfie? :)

qfb68euexctj.jpg

The Hubble Space Telescope hovers at the boundary of Earth and space in this picture, taken after Hubble second servicing mission in 1997. Hubble drifts 353 miles (569 km) above the Earth's surface, where it can avoid the atmosphere and clearly see objects in space.
  • cee134
    Options
    Hubble Catches Stellar Exodus in "Action"

86gou7ddsutx.jpg

Using NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope, astronomers have captured for the first time snapshots of fledging white dwarf stars beginning their slow-paced, 40-million-year migration from the crowded center of an ancient star cluster to the less populated suburbs.

White dwarfs are the burned-out relics of stars that rapidly lose mass, cool down and shut off their nuclear furnaces. As these glowing carcasses age and shed weight, their orbits begin to expand outward from the star cluster’s packed downtown. This migration is caused by a gravitational tussle among stars inside the cluster.

Globular star clusters sort out stars according to their mass, governed by a gravitational billiard ball game where lower mass stars rob momentum from more massive stars. The result is that heavier stars slow down and sink to the cluster's core, while lighter stars pick up speed and move across the cluster to the edge. This process is known as "mass segregation."

Until these Hubble observations, astronomers had never definitively seen the dynamical conveyor belt in action. Astronomers used Hubble to watch the white-dwarf exodus in the globular star cluster 47 Tucanae, a dense swarm of hundreds of thousands of stars in our Milky Way galaxy.

The cluster resides 16,700 light-years away in the southern constellation Tucana.
  • cee134
    Options
    First Woman in Space, Valentina Tereshkova, 1963

y066zrla40br.jpg
  • cee134
    Options
    Gullies with Color Anomalies

i0myj7vvgoch.jpg

This observation from NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) is an oblique view of gully deposits from the steep slope of an impact crater. The deposits with anomalous (bluish) colors may reveal very recent activity, not yet homogenized by dust deposition, or there may be sand preferentially trapped in some places to give this appearance.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add. I just enjoy the pics.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    First Woman in Space, Valentina Tereshkova, 1963

How long was it before the Americans sent a woman up there? (I could look it up, I guess, but I figured you might know! :) )
  • cee134
    Options
    In 1983, astronaut and astrophysicist Sally Ride became the first American woman in space aboard the space shuttle Challenger.

1uwkbbl8afub.jpg
  • cee134
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Orbital ATK's Cygnus on its way to ISS.
    tfl571mfh2f7.jpg

• LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    In 1983, astronaut and astrophysicist Sally Ride became the first American woman in space aboard the space shuttle Challenger.

1uwkbbl8afub.jpg

Now that's my superhero! :D<3
  • cee134
    Options
    37m7ce60q2od.jpg

The photo you see above shows a couple of interesting celestial sights. For starters, the colorful collection of lights on the right is a galaxy called NGC 7250 which NASA notes is extremely active forming stars and playing host to supernovas. The galaxy is made up of billions of stars, and is located over 45 million light years away, so we’re only seeing a tiny glimpse of what it has to offer.

The ultra-bright star to the left of the galaxy is named TYC 3203-450-1, located in a constellation called Lacerta, which means “The Lizard.” It’s not a particularly notable star and researchers haven’t spent a whole lot of time studying it thus far, but because of its distance from Earth — roughly 1/1,000,000 the distance of the galaxy in the photo — it appears to be a much more dominating force in the sky. NASA even notes that, if the two were photographed at similar distances from our planet, we probably wouldn’t even be able to spot the star.