Space

Options

Replies

• browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    My mom told me this past weekend, the Northern Lights could be seen in Northern Michigan (she's from Michigan). I have it on my bucket list to see the Northern Lights, but from somewhere outside the U.S.
  • browneyedgirl749
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    To me it's odd how some people's thought is so finite when it comes to possibility that life beyond our planet exists. Humans are so self centered around just revolves around them most of the time and what their religious beliefs dictate to them. For me, it would be great to just get a bunch of good people from Earth who are resourceful and intelligent and find another livable planet to be on. Away from the politics and ego maniacs we call leaders of countries.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

A lot of human think the world revolves around them. If we could eliminate those people, Earth would be a better place.

It's funny you post something like this. The other night, I saw a repeated episode of The Big Bang Theory where Sheldon was applying to go to Mars.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    My mom told me this past weekend, the Northern Lights could be seen in Northern Michigan (she's from Michigan). I have it on my bucket list to see the Northern Lights, but from somewhere outside the U.S.

I recommend Iceland

fgekvho3jeaj.jpg

or Norway.

shde2jd6vd49.jpg
  • browneyedgirl749
    Options

I recommend Iceland

fgekvho3jeaj.jpg

or Norway.

shde2jd6vd49.jpg

Iceland is also on my bucket list, so I'll check them out there. They are so beautiful, even in pictures.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    To me it's odd how some people's thought is so finite when it comes to possibility that life beyond our planet exists. Humans are so self centered around just revolves around them most of the time and what their religious beliefs dictate to them. For me, it would be great to just get a bunch of good people from Earth who are resourceful and intelligent and find another livable planet to be on. Away from the politics and ego maniacs we call leaders of countries.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Sooner or later we will precipitate an ecological of financial disaster that will wipe most of us out, then we can start over. Meanwhile, there is a movement to reclaim the many small cities and towns that have been abandoned by the global economy and rebuild the local systems in a sustainable way. Find yourself a group of like-minded folks and pick a place.

Check out http://kunstler.com/
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Bastille Day Solar Flare and a Coronal Mass Ejection

8e3m43csc16o.jpg

A flare medium-sized (M2) flare and a coronal mass ejection erupted from the same, large active region (July 14, 2017). The flare lasted almost two hours, quite a long duration. Coronagraphs on the SOHO spacecraft show a substantial cloud of charged particles blasting into space just after the blast.

The coils arcing over this active region are particles spiraling along magnetic field lines, which were reorganizing themselves after the magnetic field was disrupted by the blast.

Images were taken in a wavelength of extreme ultraviolet light.
  • cee134
    Options
    Hakumyi Crater from LAMO

yg4myrkiuuh1.jpg

This close-up view of Hakumyi crater, as seen by NASA's Dawn spacecraft, provides insight into the origin of the small crater and lobe-shaped flow next to its southern rim. The sharp edges of these features indicate they are relatively recent with respect to the more subdued Hakumyi, which is 43 miles (70 kilometers) wide.

The lobate flow ends in a tongue-shaped deposit. A more discrete feature slightly west (left) of the large lobe-shaped flow suggests an ancient or partially developed lobe. These kinds of flow features, which typically are found at high latitudes on Ceres, are expressions of what is termed "mass wasting," meaning the downslope movement of material. This process is initiated by slumping or detachment of material from crater rims.

Here the process seems to have been triggered by small craters whose remnant shapes can be discerned at the top of each flow. Dawn took this image from its low-altitude mapping orbit, or LAMO, at a distance of about 240 miles (385 kilometers) above the surface.
  • cee134
    Options
    Orion Dreamy Stars

qisq0udhdhz3.jpg

A colony of hot, young stars is stirring up the cosmic scene in this new picture from NASA Spitzer Space Telescope. The image shows the Orion nebula, a happening place where stars are born.
  • cee134
    Options
    bvh12i51gqwb.jpg

This image, taken by NASA Hubble Space Telescope, shows the colorful last hurrah of a star like our Sun. The star is ending its life by casting off its outer layers of gas, which formed a cocoon around the star remaining core.
  • cee134
    Options
    abzm8ynh291o.jpg

This false-color view from NASA's Cassini spacecraft gazes toward the rings beyond Saturn's sunlit horizon. Along the limb (the planet's edge) at left can be seen a thin, detached haze. This haze vanishes toward the left side of the scene. Cassini will pass through Saturn's upper atmosphere during the final five orbits of the mission, before making a fateful plunge into Saturn on Sept. 15, 2017.

The region through which the spacecraft will fly on those last orbits is well above the haze seen here, which is in Saturn's stratosphere. In fact, even when Cassini plunges toward Saturn to meet its fate, contact with the spacecraft is expected to be lost before it reaches the depth of this haze.

This view is a false-color composite made using images taken in red, green and ultraviolet spectral filters. The images were obtained using the Cassini spacecraft narrow-angle camera on July 16, 2017, at a distance of about 777,000 miles (1.25 million kilometers) from Saturn.

Image scale is about 4 miles (7 kilometers) per pixel on Saturn.
  • cee134
    Options
    Textures in the C Ring

lbqn6uyrwkh5.jpg

Recent images of features in Saturn's C ring called "plateaus" have deepened the mystery surrounding them. It turns out that these bright bands have a streaky texture that is very different from the textures of the regions around them. The central feature in this image, called Plateau P1, is found approximately 47,300 miles (76,200 kilometers) from Saturn's center. It is situated amid some undulating structure that characterizes this region of the C ring. None of this structure is well understood.

This image, especially the enhanced version (Figure 1), reveals three different textures with different kinds of structure. The plateau itself is shot through with elongated streaks, while the brighter parts of the undulating structure have more clumpy texture that is similar to the "straw" seen previously in the A ring, and the dimmer parts of the undulating structure have no apparent texture at all. These textures provide information about different ways in which the ring particles are interacting with each other, though scientists have not yet worked out what it all means. Plateau regions are brighter than their surroundings, and have sharp edges. Recent evidence indicates that the plateaus do not actually contain more material than their surroundings, nor are they different in their chemical composition, which would mean that their greater brightness is likely due to smaller particle sizes. (If a given amount of mass is broken into smaller particles, it will spread out more [i.e., it will have more surface area].)

These texture differences may give a clue about processes at the particle level that create the larger structures that Cassini has observed from greater distance throughout its mission at Saturn. These images were taken with the camera moving in sync with the orbits of individual ring particles. Therefore, any elongated structures are truly there in the rings, and are not an artifact of particles moving during the exposure (i.e., smear). In order to create the enhanced image (Figure 1), the large-scale brightness structure of the first image was averaged and then subtracted. What remains are any compact or local structures, including the textures discussed above. Also more visible in the enhanced image are small blemishes, including long, thin vertical lines that come from defects in the camera and short slanted lines that are smeared stars.

This image was taken on June 4, 2017, with the Cassini spacecraft narrow-angle camera. The image was acquired on the sunlit side of the rings from a distance of (51,830 kilometers) away from the area pictured. The image scale is 1,070 feet (325 meters) per pixel. The phase angle, or sun-ring-spacecraft angle, is 80 degrees.

• LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

8e3m43csc16o.jpg

A flare medium-sized (M2) flare and a coronal mass ejection erupted from the same, large active region (July 14, 2017). The flare lasted almost two hours, quite a long duration. Coronagraphs on the SOHO spacecraft show a substantial cloud of charged particles blasting into space just after the blast.

The coils arcing over this active region are particles spiraling along magnetic field lines, which were reorganizing themselves after the magnetic field was disrupted by the blast.

Golden :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

8e3m43csc16o.jpg

I can't even fathom the radiation levels from that. Lol, and it happens billions of times a day because of how many other stars there are in the Universe!!!!

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • cee134
    Options
    8dyvdc544kez.jpg

NASA's New Horizons team trained mobile telescopes on an unnamed star (circled) from a remote area of Argentina on July 17, 2017. A Kuiper Belt object 4.1 billion miles from Earth -- known as 2014 MU69 -- briefly blocked the light from the background star, in what's known as an occultation. The time difference between frames is 200 milliseconds, or 0.2 seconds.

This data will help scientists better measure the shape, size and environment around the object. The New Horizons spacecraft will fly by this ancient relic of solar system formation on Jan. 1, 2019. It will be the most distant object ever explored by a spacecraft.

A video is available at https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA21865
  • cee134
    Options
    ynz2lsu7esp9.jpg

NASA's Super Guppie arrives at Redstone Arsenal airfield to transport the Orion stage adapter to Denver Colorado for further testing. The nose is open exposing the cargo bay.

mmkzd1ddg07k.jpg

The platform which will be used to load the Orion stage adapter into NASA's Super Guppie aircraft is shown in the foreground with the Guppie aircraft in the background
  • cee134
    Options
    Galaxy NGC5962

xtmvy4jm4iib.jpg

NASA Galaxy Evolution Explorer took this ultraviolet color image of the galaxy NGC5962 on June 7, 2003. This spiral galaxy is located 90 million light-years from Earth.
  • cee134
    Options
    Virgo Galaxy Cluster

xqpwx35tmxv6.jpg

This ultraviolet image from NASA Galaxy Evolution Explorer is of a small area of the Virgo Cluster of galaxies.
  • cee134
    Options
    Jupiter's Great Red Spot in True Color

hrycg469cf51.jpg

This image of Jupiter's iconic Great Red Spot (GRS) was created by citizen scientist Björn Jónsson using data from the JunoCam imager on NASA's Juno spacecraft. This true-color image offers a natural color rendition of what the Great Red Spot and surrounding areas would look like to human eyes from Juno's position.

The tumultuous atmospheric zones in and around the Great Red Spot are clearly visible. The image was taken on July 10, 2017 at 07:10 p.m. PDT (10:10 p.m. EDT), as the Juno spacecraft performed its seventh close flyby of Jupiter. At the time the image was taken, the spacecraft was about 8,648 miles (13,917 kilometers) from the tops of the clouds of the planet at a latitude of -32.6 degrees.
  • cee134
    Options
    gbqn2linyna6.jpg
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Huge plot error Interstellar.

Discuss