Space

Options

Replies

• vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    ^^ There are stars out there that are so big that if we flew a 767 at its cruising speed of 528 mph, around the equator of it, it would take almost 1200 years to circle it once.

And we NYers think Australia is a long flight!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    NGC 6334: The Cat's Paw Nebula

ce810fn2quw6.jpg

Nebulas are perhaps as famous for being identified with familiar shapes as perhaps cats are for getting into trouble. Still, no known cat could have created the vast Cat's Paw Nebula visible in Scorpius. At 5,500 light years distant, Cat's Paw is an emission nebula with a red color that originates from an abundance of ionized hydrogen atoms.

Alternatively known as the Bear Claw Nebula or NGC 6334, stars nearly ten times the mass of our Sun have been born there in only the past few million years. Pictured here is a deep field image of the Cat's Paw Nebula in light emitted by hydrogen, oxygen, and sulfur.
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,540 Member
    Options
    Cassini was such a great spacecraft that gave us so much good data. RIP Cassini.
  • cee134
    Options
    Galaxy NGC 4579

w9j2bti69zym.jpg

Galaxy NGC 4579 was captured by the Spitzer Infrared Nearby Galaxy Survey, or Sings, Legacy project using the Spitzer Space Telescope infrared array camera.
  • cee134
    Options
    eilehwdzusuy.jpg

Cassini Holiday Greetings
    Date Created: 2004-Dec-24
  • cee134
    Options
    gq1rsngujhym.png

This six-image mosaic from NASA's Cassini spacecraft captures Saturn, its rings and the planet's giant moon Titan. The probe snapped the shots on May 6, 2012, when it was about 483,000 miles from Titan. Image scale is 29 miles per pixel on Titan.
  • cee134
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    eilehwdzusuy.jpg

Cee134- This is probably a dumb question, but I'm going to ask anyways because I'm really curious. What is the white crescent thing at the bottom right of the photo? Is it a moon or something? It's a beautiful photo.

Don't know, I assume it's one of Saturn's 53 moons.
  • cee134
    Options
    Enceladus Stetting Behind Saturn

111bd5o6kxg1.jpg

Saturn's active, ocean-bearing moon Enceladus sinks behind the giant planet in a farewell portrait from NASA's Cassini spacecraft. This view of Enceladus was taken by NASA's Cassini spacecraft on Sept. 13, 2017. It is among the last images Cassini sent back. The view is part of a movie sequence of images taken over a period of 40 minutes as the icy moon passed behind Saturn from the spacecraft's point of view.

Images taken using red, green and blue spectral filters were assembled to create the natural color view. (A monochrome version of the image, taken using a clear spectral filter, is also available.) The images were taken using Cassini's narrow-angle camera at a distance of 810,000 million miles (1.3 million kilometers) from Enceladus and about 620,000 miles (1 million kilometers) from Saturn.

Image scale on Enceladus is 5 miles (8 kilometers) per pixel.

A movie is available at https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA21889
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    eilehwdzusuy.jpg

Cee134- This is probably a dumb question, but I'm going to ask anyways because I'm really curious. What is the white crescent thing at the bottom right of the photo? Is it a moon or something? It's a beautiful photo.

Saturn has 62 moons of which 53 are named.

http://coolcosmos.ipac.caltech.edu/ask/119-How-many-moons-does-Saturn-have-
  • Monkey_Business
    Options
    eilehwdzusuy.jpg

• cee134
    Options
    eilehwdzusuy.jpg

I only talk about official moons. Not want to be hack moons that should go join Pluto in the corner where all the uncool moons hang out.
  • cee134
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Impact Site: Cassini's Final Image

lwmat3hfaa7a.jpg

This monochrome view is the last image taken by the imaging cameras on NASA's Cassini spacecraft. It looks toward the planet's night side, lit by reflected light from the rings, and shows the location at which the spacecraft would enter the planet's atmosphere hours later.

A natural color view, created using images taken with red, green and blue spectral filters, is also provided (Figure not provided). The imaging cameras obtained this view at approximately the same time that Cassini's visual and infrared mapping spectrometer made its own observations of the impact area in the thermal infrared.

This location -- the site of Cassini's atmospheric entry -- was at this time on the night side of the planet, but would rotate into daylight by the time Cassini made its final dive into Saturn's upper atmosphere, ending its remarkable 13-year exploration of Saturn.

The view was acquired on Sept. 14, 2017 at 19:59 UTC (spacecraft event time). The view was taken in visible light using the Cassini spacecraft wide-angle camera at a distance of 394,000 miles (634,000 kilometers) from Saturn.

Image scale is about 11 miles (17 kilometers).

The original image has a size of 512x512 pixels.

A movie is available at https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA21895
  • Monkey_Business
    Options
    eilehwdzusuy.jpg

I only talk about official moons. Not want to be hack moons that should go join Pluto in the corner where all the uncool moons hang out.

Because of where most moons are located, are not (at in part) cool moons? I mean they may have their own lunch room table, but the dark side is pretty cool.
  • cee134
    Options
    Soaring Over Jupiter

jex1hbafyffa.jpg

This striking image of Jupiter was captured by NASA's Juno spacecraft as it performed its eighth flyby of the gas giant planet.

The image was taken on Sept. 1, 2017 at 2:58 p.m. PDT (5:58 p.m. EDT). At the time the image was taken, the spacecraft was 4,707 miles (7,576 kilometers) from the tops of the clouds of the planet at a latitude of about -17.4 degrees.
  • cee134
    Options
    Taking a 3-D Slice of Hurricane Maria's Cloud Structure

cygd20wyvcup.jpg

NASA's CloudSat satellite flew over Hurricane Maria on Sept. 17, 2017, at 1:23 p.m. EDT (17:23 UTC) as the storm had just strengthened into a hurricane in the Atlantic Ocean. Hurricane Maria contained estimated maximum sustained winds of 75 miles per hour (65 knots) and had a minimum barometric pressure of 986 millibars.

CloudSat flew over Maria through the center of the rapidly intensifying storm, directly through an overshooting cloud top (a dome-shaped protrusion that shoots out of the top of the anvil cloud of a thunderstorm).

CloudSat reveals the vertical extent of the overshooting cloud top, showing the estimated height of the cloud to be 11 miles (18 kilometers). Areas of high reflectivity with deep red and pink colors extend well above 9 miles (15 kilometers) in height, showing large amounts of water being drawn upward high into the atmosphere.

A movie is available at https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA21961
  • cee134
    Options
    Layers in Galle Crater

q1ulnc7m2g2c.jpg

This image shows a layered deposit in Galle Crater, located in the Southern cratered highlands. The geologic history of Galle Crater is not well constrained, and it contains a variety of features that have been interpreted as fluvial, lacustrine or glacial deposits.

The deposit pictured here contains multiple unconformities (sudden or irregular changes from one deposit to another), indicating periods of erosion and non deposition. The map is projected here at a scale of 25 centimeters (9.8 inches) per pixel.
  • cee134
    Options
    Investigating Mars: Siton Undae

3pb322i8cddc.jpg

Siton Undae is a large dune field located in the northern plains near Escorial Crater. Siton Undae is west of the crater and is one of three dune fields near the crater. The nearby north polar cap is dissected by Chasma Boreale, which exposes an ice free surface. This image shows part of dune field just west of Escorial Crater (just off the top of image).

The Odyssey spacecraft has spent over 15 years in orbit around Mars, circling the planet more than 69000 times. It holds the record for longest working spacecraft at Mars. THEMIS, the IR/VIS camera system, has collected data for the entire mission and provides images covering all seasons and lighting conditions.

Over the years many features of interest have received repeated imaging, building up a suite of images covering the entire feature. From the deepest chasma to the tallest volcano, individual dunes inside craters and dune fields that encircle the north pole, channels carved by water and lava, and a variety of other feature, THEMIS has imaged them all.

For the next several months the image of the day will focus on the Tharsis volcanoes, the various chasmata of Valles Marineris, and the major dunes fields.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Investigating Mars: Siton Undae

Siton Undae is a large dune field located in the northern plains near Escorial Crater. Siton Undae is west of the crater and is one of three dune fields near the crater. The nearby north polar cap is dissected by Chasma Boreale, which exposes an ice free surface. This image shows part of dune field just west of Escorial Crater (just off the top of image).

The Odyssey spacecraft has spent over 15 years in orbit around Mars, circling the planet more than 69000 times. It holds the record for longest working spacecraft at Mars. THEMIS, the IR/VIS camera system, has collected data for the entire mission and provides images covering all seasons and lighting conditions.

Over the years many features of interest have received repeated imaging, building up a suite of images covering the entire feature. From the deepest chasma to the tallest volcano, individual dunes inside craters and dune fields that encircle the north pole, channels carved by water and lava, and a variety of other feature, THEMIS has imaged them all.

For the next several months the image of the day will focus on the Tharsis volcanoes, the various chasmata of Valles Marineris, and the major dunes fields.

But...are there giant worms there, that we can ride on?