empresssue wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    zb4e6m6oueeh.jpg

I am still applauding for Pluto as a planet :wink:

PLUTO DOESN'T CLEAN UP AFTER ITSELF

I'm thinking that makes it male :lol:

*Himself :tongue:

25phkbgglksl.jpeg

So what is Pluto??? What's between a vertically challenged planet and a planet?

A cold celestial dwarf. According the International Astronomical Union a planet and a dwarf planet are not the same category

I know, so it's in between then if it's not a dwarf planet nor a regular planet. Is it a PLU-net?

Once again, we need a groan button.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    zb4e6m6oueeh.jpg

I am still applauding for Pluto as a planet :wink:

PLUTO DOESN'T CLEAN UP AFTER ITSELF

I'm thinking that makes it male :lol:

*Himself :tongue:

25phkbgglksl.jpeg

So what is Pluto??? What's between a vertically challenged planet and a planet?

A cold celestial dwarf. According the International Astronomical Union a planet and a dwarf planet are not the same category

I know, so it's in between then if it's not a dwarf planet nor a regular planet. Is it a PLU-net?

Lol no it is a dwarf planet

Reading compression is hard. I kept reading the red lines as it's not a dwarf planet. I was like, that doesn't make sense but it's got to be true since @MeeseeksAndDestroy wouldn't lie about science.
  • cee134
    Options
    Edge-on Galaxy

qn73z8coeroj.jpg

NASA Hubble Space Telescope has imaged an unusual edge-on galaxy, revealing remarkable details of its warped dusty disc and showing how colliding galaxies trigger the birth of new stars.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL the Challenger crew, most if not all, were probably alive until impact with the ocean. A lead NASA investigator said of the commanding pilot, "Scob fought for any and every edge to survive. He flew that ship without wings all the way down."

5ymhaq4j4hu1.jpg
  • cee134
    Options
    dty1q2o8mq20.jpg

Through the brilliance of Saturn’s rings, Cassini caught a glimpse of the far-away planet Earth and its moon. At a distance of just under 900 million miles, Earth shines bright among the many stars in the sky, distinguished by its bluish tint.
  • cee134
    edited March 2018
    Options
    So the question is what side of the planet is in this picture? Basically I want to know if this is a selfie of North America or not.

This is only the third time ever that Earth has been imaged from the outer solar system.

9qvw3pcqja6v.jpg

In this rare image taken on July 19, 2013, the wide-angle camera on NASA's Cassini spacecraft has captured Saturn's rings and our planet Earth and its moon in the same frame. It is only one footprint in a mosaic of 33 footprints covering the entire Saturn ring system (including Saturn itself). At each footprint, images were taken in different spectral filters for a total of 323 images: some were taken for scientific purposes and some to produce a natural color mosaic. This is the only wide-angle footprint that has the Earth-moon system in it.

The time for the cosmic smile toward Saturn will be a 15-minute interval that begins at 5:27 p.m. EDT, 4:27 CDT, 3:27 MDT, 2:27 p.m. PDT (21:27 UTC). Beginning then, and for 15 minutes, the light reflected by your smile and wave will make the journey from Earth to Saturnian orbit – a journey of nearly 1 billion miles – in time to be captured by Cassini’s camera about 80 minutes later.

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/multimedia/pia17171.html
  • cee134
    edited March 2018
    Options
    r6ih784lloxo.jpg

From New York City, Saturn will be low on the eastern horizon from 5:27 to 5:42 p.m. EDT on July 19, 2013. Saturn’s approximate location is shown, but it will not be not visible in the daylight. Image via NASA.

It is a selfie of North America!

http://earthsky.org/space/ha-ha-join-the-first-interplanetary-photobomb-on-july-19
  • cee134
    edited March 2018
    Options
    And here I get no credit for providing the date and time :triumph:

I looked it up myself so I could quote it. But yes you got the info first. But what I want to know now is if the simulators out there say the same thing for that time and date.

k283pn5x2q1m.gif
  • cee134
    edited March 2018
    Options
    2018's 2nd Blue Moon on March 31

Yet it’s indeed quite rare to have two Blue Moons in a single calendar year. It last happened in 1999 and won’t happen again until 2037.

xq5dwsutu8mo.jpg

• cee134
    Options
    And here I get no credit for providing the date and time :triumph:

I looked it up myself so I could quote it. But yes you got the info first. But what I want to know now is if the simulators out there say the same thing for that time and date.

k283pn5x2q1m.gif

I don't think I can run Universe sandbox at work so I'll check when I get home :lol:

You can do anything you want if you try hard enough. I believe in you.

5jnmrfkb7db6.gif
  • cee134
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Check out In The Sky to see whats visible in the sky from your current location.
    https://in-the-sky.org

I used it to confirm again that Saturn was in the skyline for my location at 5:27 to 5:42 p.m. EDT on July 19, 2013.
  • empresssue
    empresssue Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    TIL the Challenger crew, most if not all, were probably alive until impact with the ocean. A lead NASA investigator said of the commanding pilot, "Scob fought for any and every edge to survive. He flew that ship without wings all the way down."

5ymhaq4j4hu1.jpg

That's sad :cry:
  • empresssue
    Options
    r6ih784lloxo.jpg

From New York City, Saturn will be low on the eastern horizon from 5:27 to 5:42 p.m. EDT on July 19, 2013. Saturn’s approximate location is shown, but it will not be not visible in the daylight. Image via NASA.

http://earthsky.org/space/ha-ha-join-the-first-interplanetary-photobomb-on-july-19

That's really cool. Too bad everyone in North America didn't know so we could have waved during the selfie.
  • empresssue
    Options
    r6ih784lloxo.jpg

That's really cool. Too bad everyone in North America didn't know so we could have waved during the selfie.

NASA did tell people ahead of time but for what it's worth I didn't know at the time :lol:

I don't remember hearing it. Bummer. :disappointed:
  • cee134
    Options
    r6ih784lloxo.jpg

NASA did tell people ahead of time but for what it's worth I didn't know at the time :lol:

Yeah. I didn't hear *kitten*! WTF NASA way to not be better about giving out info.