Space

Options

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    0k3e2c8ouvp4.jpg

This ultraviolet color image of the galaxy UGC10445 was taken by NASA Galaxy Evolution Explorer on June 7 and June 14, 2003. UGC10445 is a spiral galaxy located 40 million light-years from Earth.
  • cee134
    Options
    The Jan. 31 full moon is special for three reasons: it’s the third in a series of “supermoons,” when the Moon is closer to Earth in its orbit -- known as perigee -- and about 14 percent brighter than usual. It’s also the second full moon of the month, commonly known as a “blue moon.” The super blue moon will pass through Earth’s shadow to give viewers in the right location a total lunar eclipse. While the Moon is in the Earth’s shadow it will take on a reddish tint, known as a “blood moon.”

djw6t17pl4q9.png

h2uccxsf1q3q.png
  • empresssue
    empresssue Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    The Jan. 31 full moon is special for three reasons: it’s the third in a series of “supermoons,” when the Moon is closer to Earth in its orbit -- known as perigee -- and about 14 percent brighter than usual. It’s also the second full moon of the month, commonly known as a “blue moon.” The super blue moon will pass through Earth’s shadow to give viewers in the right location a total lunar eclipse. While the Moon is in the Earth’s shadow it will take on a reddish tint, known as a “blood moon.”

djw6t17pl4q9.pngh2uccxsf1q3q.png

I didn't get to see it: it was too cloudy here :'(
  • empresssue
    Options
    @cee134, pics of the actual eclipse, please & thank you :)
  • cee134
    Options
    empresssue wrote: »
    @cee134, pics of the actual eclipse, please & thank you :)

I only have 1 picture and it's not that great and looks like a street lamp. However, I'm sure that I can dig some stuff up from NASA now.
  • cee134
    Options
    cri6osbwsbf2.jpg
  • empresssue
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    cri6osbwsbf2.jpg

Thank you!!!!!
  • cee134
    Options
    Arp 142: The Penguin and the Egg

vnlhjhetkahw.jpg

This image of distant interacting galaxies, known collectively as Arp 142, bears an uncanny resemblance to a penguin guarding an egg.

Data from NASA's Spitzer and Hubble space telescopes have been combined to show these dramatic galaxies in light that spans the visible and infrared parts of the spectrum. This dramatic pairing shows two galaxies that couldn't look more different as their mutual gravitational attraction slowly drags them closer together. The "penguin" part of the pair, NGC 2336, was probably once a relatively normal-looking spiral galaxy, flattened like a pancake with smoothly symmetric spiral arms.

Rich with newly-formed hot stars, seen in visible light from Hubble as bluish filaments, its shape has now been twisted and distorted as it responds to the gravitational tugs of its neighbor. Strands of gas mixed with dust stand out as red filaments detected at longer wavelengths of infrared light seen by Spitzer. The "egg" of the pair, NGC 2937, by contrast, is nearly featureless. The distinctly different greenish glow of starlight tells the story of a population of much older stars.

The absence of glowing red dust features informs us that it has long since lost its reservoir of gas and dust from which new stars can form. While this galaxy is certainly reacting to the presence of its neighbor, its smooth distribution of stars obscures any obvious distortions of its shape. Eventually these two galaxies will merge to form a single object, with their two populations of stars, gas and dust intermingling. This kind of merger was likely a significant step in the history of most large galaxies we see around us in the nearby universe, including our own Milky Way.

At a distance of about 23 million light-years, these two galaxies are roughly 10 times farther away than our nearest major galactic neighbor, the Andromeda galaxy. The blue streak at the top of the image is an unrelated background galaxy that is farther away than Arp 142. Combining light from across the visible and infrared spectrums helps astronomers piece together the complex story of the life cycles of galaxies.

While this image required data from both the Spitzer and Hubble telescopes to cover this range of light, NASA's upcoming James Webb Space Telescope will be able to see all of these wavelengths of light, and with dramatically better clarity.
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    osrbvo1m9iic.gif
  • cee134
    Options
    lgdnw20sz5pt.jpg

The lunar eclipse "Blood Moon" was photographed from the Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas, during the early morning hours of Jan. 31, 2018.
  • cee134
    Options
    Investigating Mars: Kaiser Crater Dunes

90nb5kdkdcaf.jpg

This VIS image of the floor of Kaiser Crater contains several sand dune shapes and sizes. The "whiter" material is the hard crater floor surface.

Kaiser Crater is located in the southern hemisphere in the Noachis region west of Hellas Planitia. Kaiser Crater is just one of several large craters with extensive dune fields on the crater floor. Other nearby dune filled craters are Proctor, Russell, and Rabe.

Kaiser Crater is 207 km (129 miles) in diameter. The dunes are located in the southern part of the crater floor. The Odyssey spacecraft has spent over 15 years in orbit around Mars, circling the planet more than 71,000 times.

It holds the record for longest working spacecraft at Mars. THEMIS, the IR/VIS camera system, has collected data for the entire mission and provides images covering all seasons and lighting conditions.
  • cee134
    Options
    Eroded Layers in Shalbatana Valles

azx1zxqor9dv.jpg

Layers, probably sedimentary in origin, have undergone extensive erosion in this image from NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) of Shalbatana Valles, a prominent channel that cuts through Xanthe Terra.
  • cee134
    Options
    ww1flxek52dz.jpg

Astronaut Mark Vande Hei took this image of the eastern U.S. and Canada at night, writing, "Good night from @Space_Station. DC, NY, Toronto, Cleveland, and surrounding areas!"
  • cee134
    Options
    7epolqyzqm3o.png

SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy rocket took off from Cape Canaveral, Florida, yesterday afternoon and soared to space, carrying its payload — CEO Elon Musk’s red Tesla Roadster — into an orbit that stretches into the asteroid belt.

What we witnessed yesterday was the internet generation’s approximation of the moon landing, and that Roadster might well remain the totemic symbol of the achievement.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Another SpaceX launch and tons of reports of mysterious lights in the sky for the southwest.

Unreal.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    Another SpaceX launch and tons of reports of mysterious lights in the sky for the southwest.

Unreal.

The thrusters?

Yeah, same as last time. How can people NOT know about rocket launches, or at least have seen the reports over the years to make the correlation? I mean, I was lucky enough to see the other recent launch, but didn't know it was happening, but I did go out to watch the last night launch. What gets me is the newscaster are totally clueless, like it didn't just happen last month!

News Report Phoenix

• Timshel_
    Options

Unreal.

The thrusters?

Yeah, same as last time. How can people NOT know about rocket launches, or at least have seen the reports over the years to make the correlation? I mean, I was lucky enough to see the other recent launch, but didn't know it was happening, but I did go out to watch the last night launch. What gets me is the newscaster are totally clueless, like it didn't just happen last month!

News Report Phoenix

Haha that's so funny! Yeah you'd think even non space nerds would have Googled it at least once before

Exactly. I can see why ancient aliens came off as gods though. If current society couldn't understand technology and science, it must have been really scary back then.
  • cee134
    Options
    SpaceX Falcon Heavy Demo Flight - Landing

ja2s5j57q1o6.jpg

The SpaceX Falcon Heavy rocket’s two side cores descend toward landing at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida following a successful liftoff at 3:45 p.m. EST from Launch Complex 39A at NASA's Kennedy Space Center. This demonstration flight is a significant milestone for the world's premier multi-user spaceport.

In 2014, NASA signed a property agreement with SpaceX for the use and operation of the center's pad 39A, where the company has launched Falcon 9 rockets and prepared for the first Falcon Heavy. NASA also has Space Act Agreements in place with partners, such as SpaceX, to provide services needed to process and launch rockets and spacecraft.