ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    jolive7 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Weight is lost by a eating in a caloric deficit, exercise is for health.

This is so not true - not by EATING in a caloric deficit, its by being in a caloric deficit. This site is after all called my FITNESS pal. So sick of seeing that phrase on these forums... sighhhhh

OP - if you want to get yourself in a caloric deficit by exercise alone go for it - its going to be substantially better for your health than starving yourself to get there. But 20 min 3 times a week is not going to burn that much unless you are doing HIIT or some sort of high intensity circuit. You should be doing minimum 20 minutes of exercise every day, even if that's just a 20 min walk.

Whatever. However you want to create a deficit is up to you. Before i started counting calories accurately i tried losing weight by exercising which is hard to do if don't know how many calories you are eating. I was spinning my wheels. 20 years of nothing but I did have excellent health other than being obese.

OP, get accurate with intake and exercise for health and it will add some calories to your day.

What I am getting at is it is not healthy to lose weight simply by eating a calorie deficit.. you will lose weight but that doesn't mean it is healthy. Everyone needs to exercise, every day.

There is nothing intrinsically unhealthy about losing weight without exercise through the use of a moderate deficit. Doing so will improve health markers both in the blood and in terms of things like blood pressure. It is not health to lose using a huge deficit, be it created by eating very low calorie or by exercising hours a day.

There is something VERY unhealthy about not doing exercise!
    Tell that to clients that I've had in wheelchairs that are paraplegic and needed to lose weight and did with counseling on diet only. Or people with issue like RA or severe fibromyalgia.
    I'm a proponent of exercise, but you can't say that it's UNHEALTHY to not do any exercise. Many people have physical jobs that aren't exercise and do just fine without having to do any exercise outside of it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I'm a proponent of exercise, but you can't say that it's UNHEALTHY to not do any exercise. Many people have physical jobs that aren't exercise and do just fine without having to do any exercise outside of it.

In fairness, I think the "everyone should exercise" group are including NEAT as "exercise". So, they're actually saying "everyone should have some physical activity in their life". If we add a caveat for people with medical conditions, I think it's a pretty fair statement.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

In fairness, I think the "everyone should exercise" group are including NEAT as "exercise". So, they're actually saying "everyone should have some physical activity in their life". If we add a caveat for people with medical conditions, I think it's a pretty fair statement.
    Any physical movement that isn't conscious exercise is NEAT (non exercise activity thermogensis) which isn't EXERCISE. And no that's not what they are saying. Walking to the store from your car is NEAT. As well as shopping in the grocery store. But it's not considered exercise.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• SusanMFindlay
    Options
    Well, they said they were counting stuff like chasing/playing with kids - which most people don't really consider "exercise".
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Well, they said they were counting stuff like chasing/playing with kids - which most people don't really consider "exercise".
    Well I wouldn't count daily chores as exercise either, yet it can still be physical. Point being that exercise isn't necessary, especially if one is already active in a physical job.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• SusanMFindlay
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Well I wouldn't count daily chores as exercise either, yet it can still be physical. Point being that exercise isn't necessary, especially if one is already active in a physical job.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Agreed. Which was why I rephrased as "physical activity" being something to strive for (when medically possible).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

This is what I was thinking too, and that's great, but it doesn't really explain the tone of the statements, to me. No one says "don't move at all," or assumes that people won't be moving. It seems obvious that when people say "you can lose without exercise if that's where you are" or "some can't," they don't mean those people will or should be 100% sedentary, but that sometimes it's hard for people to do what is traditionally thought of as exercise or to fit intentional exercise sessions into their day.

For example, if I'd been here when the one poster said "you must exercise every day!" I would have objected because I think for many it's important to take a rest day (if you are doing hard exercise, for example), and such statements make people feel like they shouldn't or guilty when they do. However, of course I don't decide not to move at all on my rest day. My normal life involves quite a bit of walking (which I don't call exercise, since it's part of my day) and I might do something else lighter like more walking or stretching if I feel like it.

When I started I was quite out of shape and would have said I was starting slow and exercising only 30 minutes 3 days a week, because I didn't want to burn myself out. Shaming me and saying that I had to exercise every day for it to work wouldn't have helped, and apart from exercise (in my own mind) I also decided to walk everywhere I could, which meant that my steps were well over 10,000 on all days, so it's not like I was immobile (of course I'm lucky to be able to walk, and I am sure that people who are in chairs and so on are counseled to do other forms of movement and PT, whether or not they happen to think of this as part of a weight loss plan or a "workout").

(I am currently doing PT and do exercises related to that, but I wouldn't think of that as about weight loss or loss it or call it a workout, so I understand why people wouldn't. It's about rehabbing an injury or increasing flexibility or rebuilding strength for basic movement, etc.)
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    SCoil123 wrote: »

This is so not true - not by EATING in a caloric deficit, its by being in a caloric deficit. This site is after all called my FITNESS pal. So sick of seeing that phrase on these forums... sighhhhh

OP - if you want to get yourself in a caloric deficit by exercise alone go for it - its going to be substantially better for your health than starving yourself to get there. But 20 min 3 times a week is not going to burn that much unless you are doing HIIT or some sort of high intensity circuit. You should be doing minimum 20 minutes of exercise every day, even if that's just a 20 min walk.

Whatever. However you want to create a deficit is up to you. Before i started counting calories accurately i tried losing weight by exercising which is hard to do if don't know how many calories you are eating. I was spinning my wheels. 20 years of nothing but I did have excellent health other than being obese.

OP, get accurate with intake and exercise for health and it will add some calories to your day.

What I am getting at is it is not healthy to lose weight simply by eating a calorie deficit.. you will lose weight but that doesn't mean it is healthy. Everyone needs to exercise, every day.

Some can't though.

I don't agree its a matter of priority. And even though there may be a very minute percentage of the world who are that physically disabled that they cannot exercise and I guarantee that they are not on my fitness pal forums.

I agree completely. I don't buy the "can't" thing at all. I was unable to walk for 6 weeks and found work outs I could do to maintain health. I did seated cardio (lots of them can be found online) and I did hand weights. If you can move you can take steps towards fitness.

And some cannot walk at all.

Did you miss the part where I was working out when unable to walk at all? That was my entire point in my post. When I couldn't walk I found ways to remain active despite being limited to my couch.

Beacons of inspiration are typically more effective when they don't come across as incredibly judgmental.

No judgments and no responsibility for your misinterpretation. My point all along was that people can find a way to be active and that should be the point and encouraged. We, as a fitness community, should aim to encourage new members to find ways to become more active whatever that means for them personally.

I have an extensive list of previous injuries and health issues that I have had to find ways to work both around and with. It can be done. Thats not me saying it will or even should look the same for everyone.

The OP wanted to know if what they are doing is enough to get results. My answer - if it is more than you were doing before than it is a step towards your goals in the right direction. Start where you are and build on it as you get healthier and stronger.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options

There is nothing intrinsically unhealthy about losing weight without exercise through the use of a moderate deficit. Doing so will improve health markers both in the blood and in terms of things like blood pressure. It is not health to lose using a huge deficit, be it created by eating very low calorie or by exercising hours a day.

There is something VERY unhealthy about not doing exercise!

I would disagree. People have and can be healthy without exercise, unless of course you are defining exercise as simply activity rather than dividing up total activity between NEAT and EAT.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options

The things is "having activity in your life" and "exercising" are not the same thing. I can add NEAT simply by taking stairs instead of elevators, getting in 10,000 steps, parking further from the store, none of which is exercises.
  • SusanMFindlay
    edited November 2016
    Options

The things is "having activity in your life" and "exercising" are not the same thing. I can add NEAT simply by taking stairs instead of elevators, getting in 10,000 steps, parking further from the store, none of which is exercises.

I agree. I average about 20K steps per day but only "work out" twice a week. But the posts I was reading were including things I would consider as just "activity" in the "exercise" category - so I think a lot of the disagreement here is in semantics.

I walk with my family for about an hour after dinner every night. Is that "exercise"? Is it still "exercise" if we stop at the playground so the kids can play? Is it still "exercise" if we're walking around the mall? To me, it doesn't matter; I don't care if it's "exercise" or not. It helps me stay healthy and burns calories. And, honestly, I don't get the impression that most of the "you should exercise" group would tell me "not exercise! go to the gym!" (I certainly hope not because my daily NEAT burn is three times what I burn in one hour of working out at the gym.)
  • SCoil123
    Options

I agree. I average about 20K steps per day but only "work out" twice a week. But the posts I was reading were including things I would consider as just "activity" in the "exercise" category - so I think a lot of the disagreement here is in semantics.

I walk with my family for about an hour after dinner every night. Is that "exercise"? Is it still "exercise" if we stop at the playground so the kids can play? Is it still "exercise" if we're walking around the mall? To me, it doesn't matter; I don't care if it's "exercise" or not. It helps me stay healthy and burns calories. And, honestly, I don't get the impression that most of the "you should exercise" group would tell me "not exercise! go to the gym!" (I certainly hope not because my daily NEAT burn is three times what I burn in one hour of working out at the gym.)

Exactly! Thank you for getting it
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Have you ever suffered from depression? Known someone who has?

I broke my ankle very badly about 10 years ago, and at the time, I was in the middle of a terribly depressed stage of my life. To top things off, my husband and I were having marital problems. I couldn't master crutches no matter how hard I tried, my son was a bit too young to grasp what was going on, my daughter was a mouthy preteen, and I was stuck on the second floor of my house because I couldn't negotiate the stairs. To top it all off, I couldn't tolerate any pain medications.

All of that combined to make my depression even worse.

Please tell a person in that situation that they should be making some form of activity a priority. It was enough of a chore for me trying to hold my family together.
  • SCoil123
    edited November 2016
    Options

I broke my ankle very badly about 10 years ago, and at the time, I was in the middle of a terribly depressed stage of my life. To top things off, my husband and I were having marital problems. I couldn't master crutches no matter how hard I tried, my son was a bit too young to grasp what was going on, my daughter was a mouthy preteen, and I was stuck on the second floor of my house because I couldn't negotiate the stairs. To top it all off, I couldn't tolerate any pain medications.

Please tell a person in that situation that they should be making some form of activity a priority. It was enough of a chore for me trying to hold my family together.

Actually yes...I have a history of depression that landed me on disability. I also have endometriosis, hashimotos, 2 blown out knees, a right shoulder that slips out of socket, a history of bulimia, and a history of substance abuse so I also cant take pain meds.

When I share with people I can only share from a point of my personal experience. In my experience staying active and engaged as much as possible was helpful and has saved my life.

I'm sorry if that offends you or you take issue with that. I believe we all SHOULD try to be as active as we can and that we should aim to build on that. The starting place, process, and details will be very individual for what that means. You dont have to agree with me.

I have been off disability for years now, take no medications, and have been able to delay surgeries through weight loss and building strength.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

Actually yes...I have a history of depression that landed me on disability. I also have endometriosis, hashimotos, 2 blown out knees, a right shoulder that slips out of socket, a history of bulimia, and a history of substance abuse so I also cant take pain meds.

When I share with people I can only share from a point of my personal experience. In my experience staying active and engaged as much as possible was helpful and has saved my life.

I'm sorry if that offends you or you take issue with that. I believe we all SHOULD try to be as active as we can and that we should aim to build on that. The starting place, process, and details will be very individual for what that means. You dont have to agree with me.

I have been off disability for years now, take no medications, and have been able to delay surgeries through weight loss and building strength.

I'm not going to play who's got it worse off, but I'm not exactly condition free myself.

You've missed my point.

Who are you -- or anyone -- to say that someone is at the place where they are capable of being at the point where they start?

I too have bettered my life in every way with weight loss and exercise. I know the benefits of it.

However, I would never tell anyone overwhelmed with anything that they should be doing something else and add to their guilt. That is not my place, and forgive me for being so blunt, it's not yours either. People down on themselves don't need to be shamed for what they're not doing.
  • SCoil123
    Options

I'm not going to play who's got it worse off, but I'm not exactly condition free myself.

You've missed my point.

Who are you -- or anyone -- to say that someone is at the place where they are capable of being at the point where they start?

I too have bettered my life in every way with weight loss and exercise. I know the benefits of it.

However, I would never tell anyone overwhelmed with anything that they should be doing something else and add to their guilt. That is not my place, and forgive me for being so blunt, it's not yours either. People down on themselves don't need to be shamed for what they're not doing.

You have created a discussion that has nothing to do with this post or the points that were being made.

This post is about cardio. I never said I go around telling people what to do but when asked I will answer honestly with my opinion. This post asked. I however did not ask you and you continue to tell me how I should act or respond when answering a question. You are the one shaming, or attempting to shame, me because you diagreed. I dont offer unsolicited advice as a general rule.

I wasn't playing who had it worse either. I responded to your post about depression and physical injuries with my history to simply relate because I too have been there.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

You've missed my point.

You have created a discussion that has nothing to do with this post or the points that were being made.

This post is about cardio. I never said I go around telling people what to do but when asked I will answer honestly with my opinion. This post asked. I however did not ask you and you continue to tell me how I should act or respond when answering a question. You are the one shaming, or attempting to shame, me because you diagreed. I dont offer unsolicited advice as a general rule.

I wasn't playing who had it worse either. I responded to your post about depression and physical injuries with my history to simply relate because I too have been there.

You threw around the word SHOULD. You shared what happened with your leg and said that everybody can exercise. You and that other poster deviated from the topic long before I did.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

You've missed my point.

You threw around the word SHOULD. You shared what happened with your leg and said that everybody can exercise. You and that other poster deviated from the topic long before I did.

I just hate the attitude of "I did it so you can too". Just because you could doesn't mean everyone can. It's a nice goal to aspire to but not everyone can. That's what the issue is. Just because you have such and such illness doesn't mean you understand what it's like for every illness.
  • SCoil123
    Options

You've missed my point.

Actually I didnt. I liked a comment and quoted one using the word SHOULD. Then I shared my experience that we can get creative and find ways to work around some limitations in response to people saying not everyone can work out....on a thread about frequency of work outs by an OP who can and does work out.

I'm done now. You have your opinion and I have mine. This serves no one continuing this conversation.