• jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    jolive7 wrote: »
    Weight is lost by a eating in a caloric deficit, exercise is for health.

This is so not true - not by EATING in a caloric deficit, its by being in a caloric deficit. This site is after all called my FITNESS pal. So sick of seeing that phrase on these forums... sighhhhh

OP - if you want to get yourself in a caloric deficit by exercise alone go for it - its going to be substantially better for your health than starving yourself to get there. But 20 min 3 times a week is not going to burn that much unless you are doing HIIT or some sort of high intensity circuit. You should be doing minimum 20 minutes of exercise every day, even if that's just a 20 min walk.

Whatever. However you want to create a deficit is up to you. Before i started counting calories accurately i tried losing weight by exercising which is hard to do if don't know how many calories you are eating. I was spinning my wheels. 20 years of nothing but I did have excellent health other than being obese.

OP, get accurate with intake and exercise for health and it will add some calories to your day.

What I am getting at is it is not healthy to lose weight simply by eating a calorie deficit.. you will lose weight but that doesn't mean it is healthy. Everyone needs to exercise, every day.

Some can't though.

I don't agree its a matter of priority. And even though there may be a very minute percentage of the world who are that physically disabled that they cannot exercise and I guarantee that they are not on my fitness pal forums.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,154 Member
    Options

This is so not true - not by EATING in a caloric deficit, its by being in a caloric deficit. This site is after all called my FITNESS pal. So sick of seeing that phrase on these forums... sighhhhh

OP - if you want to get yourself in a caloric deficit by exercise alone go for it - its going to be substantially better for your health than starving yourself to get there. But 20 min 3 times a week is not going to burn that much unless you are doing HIIT or some sort of high intensity circuit. You should be doing minimum 20 minutes of exercise every day, even if that's just a 20 min walk.

Whatever. However you want to create a deficit is up to you. Before i started counting calories accurately i tried losing weight by exercising which is hard to do if don't know how many calories you are eating. I was spinning my wheels. 20 years of nothing but I did have excellent health other than being obese.

OP, get accurate with intake and exercise for health and it will add some calories to your day.

What I am getting at is it is not healthy to lose weight simply by eating a calorie deficit.. you will lose weight but that doesn't mean it is healthy. Everyone needs to exercise, every day.

There is nothing intrinsically unhealthy about losing weight without exercise through the use of a moderate deficit. Doing so will improve health markers both in the blood and in terms of things like blood pressure. It is not health to lose using a huge deficit, be it created by eating very low calorie or by exercising hours a day.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options

Some can't though.

I don't agree its a matter of priority. And even though there may be a very minute percentage of the world who are that physically disabled that they cannot exercise and I guarantee that they are not on my fitness pal forums.

I agree completely. I don't buy the "can't" thing at all. I was unable to walk for 6 weeks and found work outs I could do to maintain health. I did seated cardio (lots of them can be found online) and I did hand weights. If you can move you can take steps towards fitness.
  • jolive7
    Options

There is nothing intrinsically unhealthy about losing weight without exercise through the use of a moderate deficit. Doing so will improve health markers both in the blood and in terms of things like blood pressure. It is not health to lose using a huge deficit, be it created by eating very low calorie or by exercising hours a day.

There is something VERY unhealthy about not doing exercise!
  • jolive7
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »

Some can't though.

I agree completely. I don't buy the "can't" thing at all. I was unable to walk for 6 weeks and found work outs I could do to maintain health. I did seated cardio (lots of them can be found online) and I did hand weights. If you can move you can take steps towards fitness.

So agree with you, I couldn't walk for 3 months but could still exercise. I guess when you live with an ex commando who has seen people blown up in Afghanistan and survive you don't buy the excuses!!!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Everyday? What is your definition of "exercise" though. Does chasing my kids or glute activation in the kitchen while I'm cooking count? :D
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Some can't though.

And some cannot walk at all.
  • SCoil123
    Options

Some can't though.

Did you miss the part where I was working out when unable to walk at all? That was my entire point in my post. When I couldn't walk I found ways to remain active despite being limited to my couch.
  • queenliz99
    Options

Some can't though.

Did you miss the part where I was working out when unable to walk at all? That was my entire point in my post. When I couldn't walk I found ways to remain active despite being limited to my couch.

You think you are the only one who could not walk? Wow, six whole weeks?
  • jolive7
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Everyday? What is your definition of "exercise" though. Does chasing my kids or glute activation in the kitchen while I'm cooking count? :D

Yes! I am not saying everyone needs to go to the gym every day but doing something physical exactly like you mentioned, every day yes.
  • SCoil123
    Options

Some can't though.

Wow is right. Lol. You are ignoring the point and out to try and pick a fight. Sorry not interested. The point was, is, and will continue to be that even if you cant walk you can find ways to be active. I did and know others who have worked around disabilities both temporary and permanent.
  • queenliz99
    Options

Some can't though.

Wow is right. Lol. You are ignoring the point and out to try and pick a fight. Sorry not interested. The point was, is, and will continue to be that even if you cant walk you can find ways to be active. I did and know others who have worked around disabilities both temporary and permanent.

Not picking a picking a fight, I'm just saying there are people that cannot exercise.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    For most healthy adults

ETA: This is from the Mayo clinic link. Of course exercise recommendations are for healthy adults.