How much cardio do you do?

Options

Replies

• luckynky
    luckynky Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've only been at it for around 2 months, and I do 60 minutes of cardio at least 4 times a week. I am adding kettlebell (strength) into the mix next week, and I plan on doing more strength training as time goes on, and reducing some of the cardio to high intensity intervals. From what I've been reading, long-term cardio-only workouts will only get you so far before your body adjusts, so it's really important to mix it up with strength/lifting. But, I feel that cardio is really important for someone like me who has decades of sedentary lifestyle under their belt (literally). I needed to get my heart in shape and my metabolism moving and my stamina up right away.
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    I usually don't do any cardio, it's not necessary to weight loss, but every now and then I'll do some HIIT like car pushes or sprints

What's a car push? Do you like benchpress a car?
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I do 1-3 times a week of HIIT sprints, bleacher runs and stairs. 15-30 mins top, but it's not a priority of mine. Lifting 5 days a week for 45-60 mins is my priority.
  • ravegee
    ravegee Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I do cardio every single day. I try to do at least fifteen minutes of cardio. I switch up my cardio though. I do the elliptical some days, the treadmill some days, and a stationary bike some days as well. There are some days where I do a mixture of all three in the same day. I'm hoping to get to the point where I can do an hour of cardio without stopping.
  • kc7175
    kc7175 Posts: 11
    Options
    4 hours a week spread over 5 days. 4 days are cardio only, one day is weights/cardio.
    One of the cardio workouts is about 20 minutes HIIT, the others are steady state elliptical.
    3 days weights (Rachel Cosgrove),
    I'm trying to work down to weights/HIIT only with a full rest day before I get some kind of injury (I don't take one now).
    I just can't mentally let go of the need to exercise every day.
  • damajole
    damajole Posts: 11
    Options
    45-55 minutes of cardio, 5-6 days a week. dont look at my diary, been too lazy to log in the last week!
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I currently strength train with my personal trainer 3 days a week. The other four days I am doing cardio. I do interval aerobics and I'm about 30 minutes or so including 2 minutes warm up and 2 minutes cool down.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I run three times per week for 50 minutes to one hour at a time and weights once per week.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    5 days per week.

2 days of 50+ min of plyos, sprints speed work
    2 days of 35-45 min of plyos sprints speed work
    1 day of 7-10 miles...whatever, plus some boxing

Lift min 30 mins 4 days.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    running days a week. walking everday for a half hour on my lunch breaking. biking after i weightlift
  • GCC877
    GCC877 Posts: 4
    Options
    I typically do about three days of pure cardio (running, cycling, etc.) with plyometrics and combination weight training exercises the other two, maintaining a very increased heart rate around 150-160. I tried purely lifting, because it seemed the more "manly" thing to do, and lost exactly 0 lbs. I see a lot of guys at the gym who lift heavy things, put them down, and then stand there for two minutes; that may bulk you up, but it certainly won't slim you any.
  • RGv2
    Options
    I typically do about three days of pure cardio (running, cycling, etc.) with plyometrics and combination weight training exercises the other two, maintaining a very increased heart rate around 150-160. I tried purely lifting, because it seemed the more "manly" thing to do, and lost exactly 0 lbs. I see a lot of guys at the gym who lift heavy things, put them down, and then stand there for two minutes; that may bulk you up, but it certainly won't slim you any.

wuhwhat.gif
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I spend about 5 1/2 hours a week running, 2 hours swimming and 3 - 4 hours biking. We'll call it 10 hours a week 8) I do fit some resistance workouts in there though 3 days a week.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Currently training for marathon #2, so I do lots and lots of cardio.

I actually want to incorporate more lifting into my life, but I'm finding it challenging to incorporate lifting workouts that actually matter that don't make my legs too fatigued to run!

I have an old friend from high school who is one of the Olympic bicycling coaches. I asked him exactly the same question last week regarding bicycling and he said: "Squats and lunges." I'm not sure if there's pull through to marathons because bicycle racing has more tactical sprints. But I thought I'd mention it anyway.
  • GCC877
    Options
    Haha, that's a great .gif!
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    About 1.5 to 2 hours per week, but that'll go up as soon as the heat breaks as I’m training for my first half. It’s on my bucket list. Once I’ve completed that I’m not sure how much running I’ll still do since I love to ride my bike and I’ll probably start doing that more. I don’t see riding my bike as cardio mainly because I just really love to ride and it doesn’t seem like work to me so I rarely treat it as exercise (meaning if I do ride I’ll usually do something else that day too like lifting or yoga).
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

Lol, ok. That's why my husband is currently sitting at 7% BF on no cardio and lifting all the heavy things. Maybe your diet wasn't in check????
  • ladypitek
    ladypitek Posts: 91 Member
    Options

wuhwhat.gif

LULLLLLLZ this gif is awesome!!
  • RGv2
    Options

wuhwhat.gif

LULLLLLLZ this gif is awesome!!

guillaume-approves-o.gif
  • GCC877
    Options

Lol, ok. That's why my husband is currently sitting at 7% BF on no cardio and lifting all the heavy things. Maybe your diet wasn't in check????

Yeah, I didn't mean it in reference to guys like your husband; I see plenty of guys that have beer guts benching 225 lbs and then standing around. I had several lbs to lose and that style of lifting coupled with the little time I had to do it wasn't burning sufficient calories to push me along. I'm still trying to lose weight and when I can get by BF down more (probably never 7% though, wow!), I'll probably tip towards more weights, but for the now the balance is actually working pretty well.