Any Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker owners here?

Options

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me want to hard boil some eggs. It'll also give me a good reason to finally try pickling some eggs
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    The best hard boiled/steamed eggs, easy to peel too.

Ok, why do people have so much problems cooking eggs? Seriously!!!

I never had any issues cooking eggs, but in the IP, you don't have to watch it as you do on the stovetop and wait until the water boils and/or set a timer. You just turn on the pot and walk away. It's just that extra little bit of convenience that makes me prefer using the IP instead of boiling a pot of water. It's still just using one pot... It still takes just about the same amount of time. But now I just press a button on a cool kitchen gadget that makes it a little easier. Plus, doing them in the IP seems to guarantee easy peeling.
    Cocochick wrote: »
    I LOVE my Instant Pot. Since I got it a little over a week ago I've used it all but two days, and wish I would have one of the two. Last night I made low-carb buffalo chicken soup and it cooked my frozen chicken in just ten minutes after reaching pressure. I am actually excited about cooking now, and that is huge for me since I despise being in the kitchen.

Same here. Another big deal for me is that cooking odors are confined.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    The best hard boiled/steamed eggs, easy to peel too.

Ok, why do people have so much problems cooking eggs? Seriously!!!

Soft boiled eggs are really hard to get right. I hate it when there's even a bit of undercooked white (I can't eat them) In the instant pot you cook them for 3 mins and they come out perfect every time (set whites, runny yolks)
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Just popping back in to share an article I just read about the 'viral' success of Instant Pot:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/01/18/509675621/not-just-a-crock-the-viral-word-of-mouth-success-of-instant-pot
  • illusion2269
    illusion2269 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Just popping back in to share an article I just read about the 'viral' success of Instant Pot:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/01/18/509675621/not-just-a-crock-the-viral-word-of-mouth-success-of-instant-pot

Good find on this article. The fact that the Instant Pot is a company of engineers who focused on the quality of the product first explains a lot on why it works so well.
  • utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love my Instant Pots (I have 3)! As a homeschooling mother feeding a family of 9 (7 kids at home, including 4 teenagers), it's a lifesaver. I can put food in, turn it on, and not babysit it, so it makes cooking dinner so much easier for me. Plus yogurt, hard cooked eggs, proofing bread dough, and so much more. Yesterday I made copycat Cafe Rio black beans in one and cilantro lime rice in the other. Just dumped in all the ingredients, turned them on, and then took a shower. Can't do that when cooking on the stove! I used to love slow cooking, but honestly it's not always easy to think about prepping dinner when you're still trying to get all the kids through breakfast. Also, it's so much more energy efficient than the stove/oven, and doesn't heat up the kitchen in the summer time. Instant Pot has seriously changed my life.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Ok, maybe I'll try the egg thing if they are so easy to peel, but I'm holding you all to it!!!
    I still maintain my mashed potatoes on the stove are just as fast and though :)

All this instant pot talk, I think I'll make some beans today!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Ok, maybe I'll try the egg thing if they are so easy to peel, but I'm holding you all to it!!!

I like potatoes in the IP. 20 minutes vs 40+.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I have a power cooker from Sam's club, very similar. I use it all the time. I love making baked potatoes, they come out perfect each time. Also steamed vegetables, whole beans in half the time ( so cheap ). Soups, stews, and have even canned with it. Had this unit less than a month and use it a few times per week.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Again, I don't know how you people are getting potatoes to take so long to cook! Maybe it's because I only cook for two people but my mashed potatoes can't take longer than 20 minutes. Now I can see if you're cooking for six, it would take the water longer to boil and therefor everything else takes longer... Maybe that's what it is.
  • Francl27
    Options

Again, I don't know how you people are getting potatoes to take so long to cook! Maybe it's because I only cook for two people but my mashed potatoes can't take longer than 20 minutes. Now I can see if you're cooking for six, it would take the water longer to boil and therefor everything else takes longer... Maybe that's what it is.

It's funny actually because I've seen recipes say that potatoes will be cooked in 20 minutes, and they're still hard as brick after that time. But yeah I typically make enough for 4 and leftovers.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options

The egg thing is pretty cool. It doesn't save you time as much as effort to get perfect results.

As for mashed potatoes they take about the same time so meh, not really worth it . The only time it's helpful is if you're cooking 2 things in it at once (you can cook meatloaf on the trivet and potatoes on the bottom at the same time. I do really like you can cool an entire meal in one pot
  • 23susu23
    23susu23 Posts: 68 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I cooked the potatoes and hard boiled eggs together at the same time and then made them into potato salad. I have another brand of pressure cooker.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options

Try your mashed potatos at 7500'! Water seems to boil here in the 190s so everything takes much longer to cook.

We love the thing. Every thing cooks fast and at a consistent time. When you adapt recipes there's no exact formula so it all about trial and error. Not with the pressure cooker! Its cooks in the same time no matter how high you are.

• Francl27
    Options

Try your mashed potatos at 7500'! Water seems to boil here in the 190s so everything takes much longer to cook.

We love the thing. Every thing cooks fast and at a consistent time. When you adapt recipes there's no exact formula so it all about trial and error. Not with the pressure cooker! Its cooks in the same time no matter how high you are.

Actually I think it's not completely true, and altitude can affect the pressure cooker too, it's probably not as obvious.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options

Actually I think it's not completely true, and altitude can affect the pressure cooker too, it's probably not as obvious.

I've found a couple of references to that statement. I'll have to experiment more.

However compared to the 45 minutes I cooked steel cut Oatmeal to almost done. I'll take 3 minutes plus 20 of release!
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

Altitude and the size and freshness of the potatoes all affect the time.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

Altitude does affect pressure cookers. It's still faster than cooking outside of a pressure cooker, but not as fast as cooking in a pressure cooker at a lower elevation.

I even notice it at 2500 feet.
  • jelly_potato
    jelly_potato Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I love nothing more than cooking leeks with chicken and tomatoes in my pressure cooker. Turns out amazing with some pepper and bay leaf.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Soup. A hundred varieties of soup.