13»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Okohme wrote: »
    mgalovic01 wrote: »
    dewd2 wrote: »
    I wonder how you got injured. Striking the ground with your heal puts a lot of stress on your joints. Striking mid- foot to front foot will have your calves absorb some of that impact.

Who are you asking?

And please show me the evidence that this is the case (heel strikers that is). Plus, who here is talking about form? Very confused.....

I'm asking the OP. I speak from personal experience. If the OP is still doing something wrong, form-wise, that caused him to get injured, he'll just get injured again.

The PT I saw said that my hips and knees were really weak and that caused my injury. I have a condition where a number of ligaments are extra ligamenty. A number of my fingers bend in unsual ways and apparently so do some of my other joints. Anyway, I have to build extra strength to avoid injury. Not that I was adquately strengthened in the first place, I assume I was not as I began my fitness and weigh loss journey from being very sedentary.

Has your PT cleared you to run? Did he/she instruct you on proper form, etc. to avoid future injury?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Okay, but if I am just starting, what is week one? 10% of nothing is nothing.

Honestly I think the 10% was originally intended for distance runners. Even starting at 1 mile, adding 10% per week would take months to get to 2 miles. I suggest doing couch to 10k. You could prob start at week 3-4 and build from there.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    @mgalovic0's question is perfectly legitimate.

I'd make the observation that as a new runner the originator isn't going to know how he got injured. I'd also observed that I'm not challenging the question, more the leap to nonsense about heel strike vs midfoot.

Ahhhh.....gotcha.

Why do you think it's nonsense?

In fact, I'd say that we don't have enough information to assess whether it's nonsense or not. ;)

Largely because foot strike is an indicator of gait not the source, and intentionally changing it in isolation can just lead to different problems. I'm always wary of n=1 cases, but for me increasing my cadence and awareness of where I plant my foot in relation to my centre of mass led to a variation in strike. Several years ago trying the "forefoot" thing just gave me a knee injury.

Heel strike being a BAD THING(TM) is certainly a common mantra around here, but I'm conscious also that there was recent work suggesting that after less that 10K in open road races almost everyone was doing it anyway. The sample size wasn't huge and the sampling was a bit lossy, but it was published, so seems to be a basis for further work.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I have a condition where a number of ligaments are extra ligamenty. A number of my fingers bend in unsual ways and apparently so do some of my other joints.

Is that Ehlers Dhanlos Syndrome?

I don't think it changes my thoughts, and running will give you a lot of benefit, as will resistance training. It mainly increases your risk factors.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    As far as core strength playing into leg pain, you offer nothing of substance to support it.

Core strength affects the stability of the pelvic cradle, so influences stability in terms of forward tilt and lateral balance. The former impacts on the loading distribution on contact, and fatigue levels. The latter affects how rotational loads are applied to the hips and knees in both the landing and propulsion stages of the gait cycle.

Another effect of course strength is the tension, and tension balance on the iliotibial band, which can affect anterior knee pain.

The originator talked about leg pain. He didn't talk about where that was. He also mentioned now doing strength training, having seen a physiotherapist. That would suggest that the diagnosis included an element of core strength.

Essentially in "leg pain" there are several different ranges of injury type, each with different causes. I'll acknowledge that excessive " heel strike" might be exhibited, but even that may have several causes, with different therapies indicated for each.

I'd acknowledge that I've only run a few marathons and ultras, so still have a lot to learn.

Your core has something to do with just about every functional movement performed. That was a good illustration of how it could play into leg pain.
    But, how does simply doing strength training, having seen a physiotherapist suggest a diagnosis including an element of core strength? Even if core strength was incorporated into the therapy, as it usually is, it doesn't mean that lack of core strength was the cause of the injury. It just means that functional movements practically always include your core.
    There is no cause to the heal strike. It's just natural, at first, until you find out how stressful it is on your joints when done often. It, in and of itself, is the cause of many running related issues.

What exactly is your experience with running and/or training runners? Just curious. You sound as if you're trying to speak as an authority on the subject.

I ran Donald Trump's campaign, and trained The Road Runner to elude Wile E Coyote. So, respect my authoritah!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    IMHO, 4 miles is perfect. Walk .5 mile to warm up, run 3 miles as fast as you can and .5 to cool down followed by some stretching. If you are planning to continue to 5K's, you will improve your time and that's a great cardio workout. If you are looking to get into half marathon's (or whatever) work on distance, then speed. Make sure to balance your running with strength training.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited November 2016
    Please don't do speed work when you're just starting out, and especially coming back from a leg injury. Distance work will improve your endurance and cardiovascular capacity. Increased speed at shorter distances will naturally follow.

Trust me on this - I don't like speed work, and I don't have any ambition to race, so I only do it every now and again when I'm in the mood. Basic training for the half marathon dropped my 5K 'pseudo-race' pace from ~10:30 min/mi to ~8:45 min/mi. By the time I'd done that training, my long runs were averaging 10:00 min/mi (excluding the warm-up mile).

Personally, I like Hal Higdon's training plans - they're freely available online. If it were me, I'd pick one of the beginner 10K plans, find the week that is close to or slightly shorter than the weekly mileage you do now and start there. Then if you wanted to go farther, you could move into his marathon plans. Or, you could shift to his more advanced 10K plans and see how to start incorporating pace work, etc.
  • Okohme
    Okohme Posts: 152 Member
    I wonder how you got injured. Striking the ground with your heal puts a lot of stress on your joints. Striking mid- foot to front foot will have your calves absorb some of that impact.

Who are you asking?

And please show me the evidence that this is the case (heel strikers that is). Plus, who here is talking about form? Very confused.....

I'm asking the OP. I speak from personal experience. If the OP is still doing something wrong, form-wise, that caused him to get injured, he'll just get injured again.

The PT I saw said that my hips and knees were really weak and that caused my injury. I have a condition where a number of ligaments are extra ligamenty. A number of my fingers bend in unsual ways and apparently so do some of my other joints. Anyway, I have to build extra strength to avoid injury. Not that I was adquately strengthened in the first place, I assume I was not as I began my fitness and weigh loss journey from being very sedentary.

Has your PT cleared you to run? Did he/she instruct you on proper form, etc. to avoid future injury?

Uhhhh. Sort of. I told them I'd been doing a little jogging in my walks and initially they said not to but then said that I was looking much stronger and would be okay to do some running but that I needed to stop when/if I began to encounter the discomfort again. To this point I have not received any specific instruction on form, my last session they watched me run and said it looked good, which I took to mean that I didn't have any major form problems.
  • Okohme
    I have a condition where a number of ligaments are extra ligamenty. A number of my fingers bend in unsual ways and apparently so do some of my other joints.

Is that Ehlers Dhanlos Syndrome?

I don't think it changes my thoughts, and running will give you a lot of benefit, as will resistance training. It mainly increases your risk factors.

NF1. It's primarily charictarised by the growth of (usually) begin tumors but has a host of other issues associated with it. Some of these issues are muscular and skeletal abnormalities, including; scoliosis and hyper-laxity of certain ligaments.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member

Who are you asking?

http://www.wikihow.com/Strengthen-Ligaments
  • Okohme
    @mgalovic0's question is perfectly legitimate. The OP is holding back on running out of fear of getting injured again. @Okohme, if you have been cleared by your MD or PT for running, make sure you are wearing appropriate running shoes and that you are warming up before and after your running.

There is not pat answer to your question on how much you can run per week, as it depends on you, your needs, endurance, etc. Since you already run up to 4.5 miles twice a week, I would just add another day of running. Maybe start with a mile or two and see how you are doing. Again, be sure to warm up well before, and warm down afterward. The last thing you need is to re-injure yourself.

I'm all set for the shoes. I made my buying crappy shoe mistakes early on and mostly just got blisters for that lesson. I also do about a half mile warm up walk before my run, and at least a few minutes cool down, along with the PT prescribed stretches using one of those giant rubber bands.
  • Okohme
    elonkri15 wrote: »
    Hi, I didn't know much about exercise but I do know that if you have had any health issues you are best to see any exercise physiology not personal trainer. An EP can *kitten* you accurately, work out why you had the issues with the knee and give you exact advice not generic advice. They are covered by most private health insurance if you have some

PT= Physical therapist, not personal trainer.