Let's talk about your strategy for remaining in maintenance this Christmas?

Options

Replies

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I was in maintenance but slipped over the summer and am back losing. I picked right after Thanksgiving to start. We have tons of candy at work. I log it all. Portion control is the key for me. I have to get into the habit, again, of trying to eat the healthy and lower calories snacks at Christmas parties. My motto has been "if I wouldn't buy it myself, why eat it?". Alcohol calories get logged before a dinner or party. It takes practice, but can be done. If I go over a couple hundred at a party, I actually consider that a minor success and don't sweat it, but it isn't my intent.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    HappyGrape wrote: »
    What is your plan to remain same weight on 1st of January as you are now?

While that is indeed a worthy goal at this time of year of 1/4 of the world's population, my plan is to continue in my calorie deficit except for one day between now and January 1. We'll see if I can stick to that plan.
  • Melany502
    Melany502 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This has been my goal since October 3rd. Due to new meds I gained a lot of weight and knew I'd gain a ton during the holidays starting with Halloween... so I work out 5-6 times a week, count calories, but don't worry about calories at gatherings and holidays. Down 12 lbs doing this and I've had a LOT of cheat days.
  • Melany502
    Melany502 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Um, its a holiday, one day,I am going to eat it all drink it all, and have a good time, and get a workout in.

You work out on Christmas day?

I am!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Melany502 wrote: »
    Um, its a holiday, one day,I am going to eat it all drink it all, and have a good time, and get a workout in.

I am!

Wow. I'm not sure if that is awesome or terrible (personally, if I even mooted the idea my wife and kids would kill me!) but have a good one.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Melany502 wrote: »

I am!

Wow. I'm not sure if that is awesome or terrible (personally, if I even mooted the idea my wife and kids would kill me!) but have a good one.

I would too if my gym was open. Xmas eve and Boxing day will have to suffice.
  • Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'll do what I do every year. Eat what I want, as much as I want. Add an extra 20
    Mins of cardio a day. I really only "indulge" Xmas eve and day, and New Years isn't a big party to me so no danger there. Also, i don't drink alcohol so that helps with calories. I always plan on gaining 5 pounds and don't stress it. I know im disciplined and that weight will come off naturally by the middle to end of Jan anyway.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I just walk and do yoga as usual and eat within budget. If I go over, it won't be by a crazy amount. At parties, I eat a portion and save the rest to eat later on in the week. I spend all season long eating winter treats in moderation, so I never have the desire/need to go overboard at Christmas parties.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm PMSing so all my good intentions went out of the window because of some sweet bread on Monday (and we got 4 boxes of food gifts yesterday so I didn't get to keep a big deficit). Going to try to make up for that by Saturday though... We do Christmas Eve and Christmas day after that so I'm not even expecting a miracle. Just limit the damage (plus I'll still be PMSing anyway... at least it's good timing I suppose that it's going to happen at the same time).

Plan to exercise more failed as well as I'm horribly sore from my weights sessions of Monday night still, so I might have to take an extra rest day.. Oh well. I'll get back into it tomorrow (although obviously I probably won't get much more than a short walk in on Sunday).
  • mikecooper4310
    mikecooper4310 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am looking for support from like minded people on maintaining weight strategies this Christmas.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options

I will most definitely work out on Christmas Day. A 10 mile run banks about 1000 calories. And, I got to pick the menu since dinner is at my house. Beef tenderloin, green beans and twice baked potatoes and poached pears for dessert. Even with a few glasses of wine and appetizers I can keep the day at maintenance. BOOM! That's one in the win column if I stick to the plan.

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    I'm going to eat whatever I want Christmas Eve till probably January 2

Going to be gooood
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I was going to get in a blast of exercise on xmas morning, but it's going to be 40c (104F) here, so my plans there went out the window!
  • healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My strategy is to see how much weight I can gain!!!
  • healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I was going to get in a blast of exercise on xmas morning, but it's going to be 40c (104F) here, so my plans there went out the window!

Same! Might be worth it to get away from some of the crazy relatives...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Can you send some of the warm my way? I will swap for 50 kph northwest winds.
  • dfc4
    dfc4 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Daily training and intermittant Fasting........Christmas?? never herd of her!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Can you send some of the warm my way? I will swap for 50 kph northwest winds.

Brrrrr from one extreme to the other. I'll meet you somewhere in the middle :smiley:
  • reneec257
    reneec257 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I try to keep as many low carb foods I LIKE in the house. A lot of people will eat salads, celery, carrots, I think they are yuck! So I go over board with things I do like so when I want to snack they are always there. Olives, cheese, eggs, hickory farm beef sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, nuts etc. I allow myself to eat one meal with known carbs, bread, rice, pasta, potatoes etc.