Juicing to lose 30 lbs by Jan 1st.

Options

Replies

• dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    dbkyser wrote: »

I'm so glad you're joking, but many people get serious this time of year about the quick fixes, often that magic juicing.

I've done it too, in my past. No fun, or long lasting results.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

I agree, I tried juicing and although I lost weight and got my veggies in, as soon as I added food back the weight came back.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,437 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    poo I came in with popcorn!

Don't forget to log it. I mean, now you got it. Would be a shame not to eat it :wink:
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Or you could just drinkblack coffee and do nothing but push ups all day. :wink:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Ah, yes.... the "How to lose muscle, Lower testosterone, and Lower your Metabolic Rate Diet"
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Y'all can laugh but it's actually quite plausible and not that crazy. In fact I did just that. A few years ago, I did a 30 day juice fast and lost almost 20 lbs. I'd started at 150-ish. I bet an even fatter person could easily drop 30.

Now, I wasn't stupid enough to do the 'master cleanse' with the cayenne pepper and syrup...yuck! Mine was a nice and tasty version - Lemonade. Freshly squeezed and with regular sugar. I drank about 2 litres/day. Easiest diet I've ever been on. And everyone thought I was going to die or damage my health even though I was feeling just fine and on a full time job and full time student load. So to prove them wrong, I made sure to get my annual blood tests done at the end of the fast. The only thing that was off was the fasting blood sugar, in the low 60s. ALL other labs were in normal range.

The only mistake I made was to go back to eating at a surplus and gained it all back. I should have just figured out my maintenance at that point and I'd have been fine. Anyway I eventually lost it again, and more, over the last 2 years, by just eating less (~1700 cals) and moving much much more and it's staying off and now in maintenance.
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Ha, so refreshing to see an original post with humour, and plenty of folks well skilled in the art of mockery :-)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So the goal is exaggerated too :) Yay!

In that case I would suggest adding some apple cider vinegar to your juice for max weight loss...

Done, and I will add lemon to my 2 gallons of water a day.

Don't forget the cayenne pepper and apple cider vinegar.

oh and the cabbage soup! Nothing after 6pm though.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

In that case I would suggest adding some apple cider vinegar to your juice for max weight loss...

I did that crap (cabbage soup diet) when I was 18.

I still cannot eat cabbage soup. :anguished:
  • Traveler120
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Y'all can laugh but it's actually quite plausible and not that crazy. In fact I did just that. A few years ago, I did a 30 day juice fast and lost almost 20 lbs. I'd started at 150-ish. I bet an even fatter person could easily drop 30.

Now, I wasn't stupid enough to do the 'master cleanse' with the cayenne pepper and syrup...yuck! Mine was a nice and tasty version - Lemonade. Freshly squeezed and with regular sugar. I drank about 2 litres/day. Easiest diet I've ever been on. And everyone thought I was going to die or damage my health even though I was feeling just fine and on a full time job and full time student load. So to prove them wrong, I made sure to get my annual blood tests done at the end of the fast. The only thing that was off was the fasting blood sugar, in the low 60s. ALL other labs were in normal range.

The only mistake I made was to go back to eating at a surplus and gained it all back. I should have just figured out my maintenance at that point and I'd have been fine. Anyway I eventually lost it again, and more, over the last 2 years, by just eating less (~1700 cals) and moving much much more and it's staying off and now in maintenance.

Long story short: quick fix didn't work (water weight all came back) but the slow and steady approach did.

20 lbs of water weight? My entire body shrank. When you lose inches off your waist and hips and thighs, it's body fat not water weight. And it's not like it came back overnight, it came back over months of overeating beyond maintenance. If I had eaten at maintenance, I'd have kept it off.

And just because I've lost steadily this time, doesn't mean I can't gain it all back super fast. All I have to do is overeat beyond my current maintenance. How long one takes to lose, doesn't actually matter. It's what you do afterwards.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options

Long story short: quick fix didn't work (water weight all came back) but the slow and steady approach did.

20 lbs of water weight? My entire body shrank. When you lose inches off your waist and hips and thighs, it's body fat not water weight. And it's not like it came back overnight, it came back over months of overeating beyond maintenance. If I had eaten at maintenance, I'd have kept it off.

Where exactly do you think water weight comes from then?
  • Traveler120
    edited November 2016
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

Where exactly do you think water weight comes from then?

Water weight can come from:
    -Dehydration (not likely if I was drinking at least 2L of water) and my pee was always clear or light colored, not dark.
    -Depleted glycogen stores, like those doing ketogenic diets (I was living on lemons and sugar - 99% carbs so I was replenishing glycogen stores). I have no idea how many calories I was eating but my juice was always sweet, so plenty of sugar.
    -Lost body fat, because fat cells are about 85% fat and the rest is water, so if you lose fat, you automatically lose the water in them.

Long story short - the majority of the weight lost, was body fat (evidence is inches lost) due to the massive calorie deficit I was in. Your body makes up the difference in energy needs by using body fat for energy. There's no energy in water, so where do you think my body was taking it's energy from if not body fat? This is common sense.
  • Traveler120
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

And just because I've lost steadily this time, doesn't mean I can't gain it all back super fast. All I have to do is overeat beyond my current maintenance. How long one takes to lose, doesn't actually matter. It's what you do afterwards.

No, you undoubtedly lost some fat considering you were eating literally NOTHING and consuming significantly less calories. You also undoubtedly lost more muscle mass than you would have otherwise, and you undoubtedly caused negative metabolic adaptations.

This is exactly why it's stupid.

That's all just guess work. A person in a huge calorie deficit AND very low body fat AND barely moving (like bedridden), is going to lose muscle mass coz, what else is the body to going to eat, right? But if I'm moving about, with a full time job, full time classes, walking about, AND have excessive amounts of body fat, the human body is not stupid, it's going to use my body fat and preserve my muscles, coz I'm using them. Why would it eat them and leave gobs and gobs of fat just sitting on my thighs and belly? That would be just silly.

As for "negative metabolic adaptations"....which ones? A person's bmr is going to go down if they lose weight since there's less mass. That's normal. My current bmr is normal for a person my weight and height. But people want to use metabolic adaptation as an excuse for why they're regaining weight, when the real issue is they're overeating.
  • cerise_noir
    edited November 2016
    Options

Yes, it is mostly water weight. There is no possible way someone can lose 20lbs of fat that fast. The math does not add up.
    But... did ya know that FAT CELLS contain water, and as one loses weight, the fat cells gradually release the water and shrink? Also, glycogen from elsewhere..

This is why you shrank. At the beginning of my weight loss, I lost 20lbs very fast. Fat? Not much, but water...definitely.

With weight loss, both muscle and fat will be used if one runs a steep deficit. Higher protein diets and resistance training can minimise that.
  • Traveler120
    Options

Yes, it is water weight. There is no possible way someone can lose 20lbs of fat that fast.
    But... did ya know that FAT CELLS contain water, and as one loses weight, the fat cells gradually release the water and shrink?

Asked and answered in previous post.
  • cerise_noir
    Options

Yes, it is water weight. There is no possible way someone can lose 20lbs of fat that fast.
    But... did ya know that FAT CELLS contain water, and as one loses weight, the fat cells gradually release the water and shrink?

Asked and answered in previous post.

And yet, you still disagree with the knowledgable answer. Interesting...